Author Topic: Check Engine Light  (Read 5024 times)

hoss11ms

• View Profile
Check Engine Light
« on: February 09, 2013, 02:26:05 AM »
Hello,

I purchased a 2012 Kymco Yager brand new in October. I have just over 1000 miles on it. At about 900 miles, the check engine light has started flashing for a short time while riding. This seemed to happen at higher RPM. Has anybody else had this problem? I read in the manual that the check engine light will flash like this to warn you about over revving, but it had not done it previously at the same rpms. I did notice that this started after I put stabol in a full tank of gas. This is the first time I have put it in. I ran out that tank of gas and refilled it and it seems to be doing it less  on this tank. Could this have something to do with the problem. I did notice the other day when I went to start it up, the light flashed several times before even starting the scoot. Now I'm wondering if the light itself could be malfunctioning. Any ideas on this is appreciated.

Yager200i

• View Profile
Re: Check Engine Light
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 06:06:08 AM »
I think if it's flashing before you even start it up, it's trying to tell you a trouble code. You'll have to do some digging to find the trouble code index and how to reset it, I can't remember off the top of my head.

But that trouble code should tell you what's going wrong. After it's fixed and you do a reset, your flashing before startup and your flashing while running should go away.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 06:07:00 AM »
I read that stabil mucks up the fuel injected bikes (just after I added it to my Yager) so I
ran the bike a bit to try to get it burned off before the winter. I got 1/2 the tank gone and
added some new fuel. Never got any lights but only rode it once or twice with the stabil in
 it. If you do a search here some others have had lights. I know in one case it was the injector
he had to have it replaced under warranty...
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

hoss11ms

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 04:06:36 AM »
I checked it again today and it is flashing 7 times before starting the engine. I filled the tank with premium and added fuel injector cleaner and took it for a 40 mile ride. The light did not come on once and the scooter has ts original power. Does anyone know what the code is for 7 flashes? I'm hoping the problem is solved and the light just needs to be reset.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 12:18:37 PM »
7 flashes is air temp sensor fault

That's a funny one as it can't tell if it's right or not so it must be reading open?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 09:42:56 AM by MotoRandy123 »

CapnJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 07:46:00 PM »
Here is the procedure to check your temp sensor.
2 wheels is 2 wheels, But China Ain't Taiwan.

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 12:35:51 AM »
I've had similar problems with mine. My dealer keeps saying there's nothing wrong if it goes off during a ride. I can't remember exactly, I know it blinks 7 times. It also blinks 4 or 5, too. However, my dealer sucks at helping with scooters, so I don't trust them to give me the correct information. I've been on here before about it, and someone helped me with the codes. I'll look through and find them if you haven't resolved this yet. If you have resolved it, what did you do?

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 03:30:50 PM »
Passedby, MotoRandy understands more about these scoots than ANY dealer tech. There are others here that can do as well. The dealer is gonna tell you something just to get you out of his face. The dealers are not gonna pay the price for a tech to attend the "factory school" even if it exists.

Here is my opinion: (treat it in proportion to what you paid for it!) I got the "Code 6" on my Yager several times which is "low battery voltage". The problem went away when I cleaned the already clean batter cable connections. The lead on the battery terminals and the cable lugs can get a black tint which is very high resistance thereby be a possible voltage drop when starting. I should have sprayed the connections with that red battery terminal stuff after the problem was eliminated.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 09:00:50 PM »
Well 4 and 5 are TPI faults (throttle position pot)
6 flashes is Battery
Both should be fix by the dealer to avoid future problems...

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 01:17:21 AM »
Thanks guys! That's right, it was throttle position for the second issue! I have a year left on warranty. I should become a pain I their fears while its still cold and wet.

PBAS

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()