Author Topic: Fixing The Yager Seat  (Read 4482 times)

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing The Yager Seat
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 07:31:51 PM »
Here's some pictures. This is the underside where I added the foam and padding (see right);

Here's the padding with the plastic I removed beside to see how much needs to be added;

Here's the padding I added to the top. Stock the cover "drums" over the seat. It was tough to tell where
it might show. I ended up with a little "ridge" in front of the drivers backrest, it's not that noticable though;

Here's the secret weapon. A Surebonder pneumatic staple gun. These take standard staples and only cost $25!
The electric or manual stapler allows kick back and the staples end up only half way in. The air seats them fully;

Here's the bottom of the finished seat. I even have a little stash pocket (for government papers).;

And here's the finished seat!;

It doesn't look much different but feels a lot better. It's tough to get firm yet soft. After a while I might
order some better foam and tweak it a bit. I found this place that has some reasonably priced;
http://www.sunmatecushions.com/Discounts.html
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 07:40:05 PM by MotoRandy123 »
2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

Zimmerman

• ---------
  • Northeastern Pennsyvania USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 07:36:25 PM »
Nice job Randy.

Did this fix the seats tendency to push you forward ?

KZ
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 07:45:44 PM »
Yes, the problem was the rear of the seat only had 1" of foam on it. When you drive over rough
surfaces or just sink more over time you hit the hard plastic. I removed the 1" of hard plastic and
replaced it with softer material. I haven't ridden on it yet but it feels like you are still suspended
by foam at full compression. The angle of the original plastic was approximately 45 degrees now it's
more like 15. With better foam you might be able to take 1" out of the seat but molding it into the
passenger seat and covering it might be challenging.

Here's a picture;

The yellow line is the top of the foam. The inside of the seat originally looked like the red lines.
Notice the short green in the back. I changed it to look like the pink line so the foam is like the longer
yellowish line.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 08:01:13 PM by MotoRandy123 »

ludo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 10:17:36 PM »
Great job Randy!!
I hope it helps a lot for longer rides (and shorter too!!).

Kind of annoying that Kymco can't make comfy seats  ::)
The Yager is not the only Kymco's scooter with an uncomfortable seat.

The SYM RV200 looks pretty much exactly like the Yager. Check out the seat on it:

Flat seating and real back rest.... and still plenty of height for a full helmet to fit under!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 10:26:20 PM by ludo »
Kymco Yager GT200i -
Totally awesome machine with anti-theft styling ;D

de-dee

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 10:23:13 PM »
I have a 300i downtown 2011  seat is a little diferent shape,  to low for me, I found some mattress foam 6" thick  that compresses just the right thickness for me, it is not covered yet, I am looking for leatherette that would be good for a seat, any ideas for type of leatherette to use , breathing vented,ect. color for the hot sunny days, all ideas wellcome, scooter is golden & black color,

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 08:44:19 PM »
Well I went for an hour ride today. The first half I didn't even think about the seat.
The second half I found it feeling a little hard. I think the original setup the cover is
stretch tight over the foam and that creates a lot of pressure. My new setup is good
but then compresses a little and creates some pressure (less than original). So some
better foam would completely fix it I think.

Zimmerman

• ---------
  • Northeastern Pennsyvania USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 10:38:03 AM »
Yes, it was really nice down here too. I wondered if you were taking that seat for a test drive.

But the main thing is the seat wasn't pushing you forward, right ?

KZ
Kymco Yager GT200i
Kymco People 150
Yamaha Riva 125

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 12:14:09 PM »
Nope, it never pushed me forward.

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 12:11:38 AM »
I am 5'9".  I sit at the very front of my Yager seat.  It is not the most comfortable seat in the world.  However, I would not be able to sit on your modified seat since I would have to balance on the peak at the front of your seat.  I would like to soften my seat not to change the configuration.  But I will continue to follow the thread.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()