Author Topic: dr. pulley  (Read 4495 times)

retread

• View Profile
dr. pulley
« on: September 03, 2011, 03:18:05 PM »
anyone put dr. pulley slider weights in their yager? would like to know size & weight of stock rollers.

retread

• View Profile
Re: dr. pulley
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 01:56:41 PM »
ah, found the old post, with cortez's help i finely got the sliders. dr pulley recomends 10-15% lighter than stock for quicker accelaration and same top speed at a few hundered less rpm. so that's what i went with. will have a valve adjust and sliders put in as soon as weather permits and will report back after some good riding.  ;D  for those of you looking to swap out the rollers the stock weight is-17.5gr. dr. pulley size and weight-20x15 16gr.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:31:51 PM by retread »

CapnJ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 11:04:05 AM »
Yesterday was maintenance day, adjusted the valves, changed the plug, changed the oil and installed a set of Dr. Pulley 16g sliders. I wish I would have adjusted the valves sooner the intake was set at .0015 instead of .004. The plug didn't need to get changed but i figured if I was pulling it to check I might as well put in a new one. I'll save the old one as a spare. Now for the sliders, they went in easy once I cleaned everything up. My top end didn't change as far as I could tell still 65mph @ 8000rpm. Now low and mid range is another story. The Scoot feels a lot stronger and quicker off the line. I had the shudder at low speed takeoff that a lot of people talk about, it seems to have gone away with the sliders installed. I'll know better once I get a few days riding. The weather should allow that this week.
2 wheels is 2 wheels, But China Ain't Taiwan.

retread

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 03:54:34 PM »
better excellaration-you bet, lower rpm's on top-not even close. at  60 mph were at 8,000 rpm, at 64 mph were at 8,500 and climbing. having a 19.4 mile commute to work one way with some 55 mph roads, these aren't working for me. when changing back to the rollers, the installer and myself checked for correct install of sliders, and they were correct. seems the claims dr.pulley makes are more like how the rollers perform. so, i'm done playing around with aftermarket claims. seems kymco got it right getting the best performance out of this model.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 06:56:41 AM »
better excellaration-you bet, lower rpm's on top-not even close. at  60 mph were at 8,000 rpm, at 64 mph were at 8,500 and climbing. having a 19.4 mile commute to work one way with some 55 mph roads, these aren't working for me. when changing back to the rollers, the installer and myself checked for correct install of sliders, and they were correct. seems the claims dr.pulley makes are more like how the rollers perform. so, i'm done playing around with aftermarket claims. seems kymco got it right getting the best performance out of this model.
Ive been posting to go heavier when using DR pulley because they ACT lighter. I ditched them for the same reason plus a few other reasons. I can only guess a guy that calls him self Zombie isn't as convincing as a guy that calls himself Retro WainwrightIII.
If ANYONE wants to try them GO HEAVIER!!. I think I broke my exclamation mark..! There it goes.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

CapnJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 01:47:24 PM »
Well, I've gotten to ride for awhile now with my sliders. My top end is a little lower. The engine doesn't want to go much higher than 8500rpm. The low end is great. So Zombie if I go with a heavier slider weight what is going to happen to my low end? Retread, what is your top end with the stock rollers? With 600 miles on the scoot all stock I had it up to 75mph at around 9500rpm. That triggered the engine check lite, once I got the light reset I kept the RPM's down to 8000 or so. I've got 4400 miles on my scoot and the only things I've had to do were routine maintenance items. I'm getting about 65 MPG, what about other people? 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 05:23:56 AM »
I would try 1-2 gram heavier to lower the rpms at 75mph to 8000-8500. The bottom end will stay the same due to the aggressive ramp angle of the sliders.
Just send Dr. Pulley another 40.bucks for their sage guidance. In all fairness I am quite happy with them in a GY6 87cc set up. So far...
The key that not to many pick up on is sliders/rollers control the operating rpm's of the engine. NOT the other way around. Tie a 10' string to a 40lbs boat anchor, and spin in a circle. Do the same with a basketball. Lighter spins faster but your strength is the same.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

retread

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 11:25:33 PM »
my commute is mostly 35 & 45 mph roads with about a mile and a half of 55 mph. i may hit 63 or 64 on that stretch and i can tell you i'm at 7000 rpm with the stock rollers. same speed with recommended sliders was at 8500 rpm. i have not yet tried a top end run but with my mostly slower road commute i've been getting around 75 mpg +. i've probably been just putting along compared to you, i should start exploring it's limits a little more. but loving the mileage.  :)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 06:10:42 PM »
"i may hit 63 or 64 on that stretch and i can tell you i'm at 7000 rpm with the stock rollers. same speed with recommended sliders was at 8500 rpm"

What recomendation? What weight.

CapnJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 03:06:11 PM »
Zombie, look at Retreads first post, someone recommended 16gr sliders. That's what he and I put in. I'm thinking about trying 19gr if my originals do weigh in at 17.5gr.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 01:42:59 AM »
19 is where I would go from my experience with sliders. You will gain better take off, and your same top end with the same rpm's. Your engine braking will also improve along with out of corner accel. These things are not magic... Just a bit better take off.

CapnJ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 12:04:02 PM »
Thanks, I'll give that a try in the next month or so.

PassedByAScooter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 02:18:49 PM »
I just had 20x15 16gr Dr Pulley rollers put in. I've gone through a tank and a half of gas. The first tank I got 83mpg, and the second tank I got 85.4. The 85.4mpg tank was with the new rollers for the entire tank of gas.
My travel conditions are 75-100 miles round trip, daily, on roads that are posted at 50mph.
I've noticed my take off speed is better. No shutter at all at slow speeds, just really nice and smooth. My mid-range to top end is soooo much more responsive.
Here's the confusing part: My top end speed has increased! My MPG have increased! I've noticed that I was never able to pass the 8k rpm before. Now I can zoom right by it if I need to, which increases my speed.
My only explanation for improved gas mileage (if it wasn't just a fluke thing, which I will find out when I go through several more tanks), is that the engine through all RPM's (regardless if low or extremely high), just doesn't have to work as hard as it ever has. I can feel this, because the Yager just FEELS lighter and more responsive.

I'm not a tech guy or a mech guy, though, so my opinion is just that - an opinion. But I can say that I've been more than pleased so far.

2010 Kymco Yager
2009 Kymco Agility 125

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 12:31:12 AM »
I believe you have hit the magic number we all look for. Where roller weight is correct for the power band of your bike. When you are in the band you need less throttle to get the same speed. I'd write down the combo that is working, and keep it for when parts start to wear out.

MotoRandy123

• Lets Ride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 09:19:21 PM »
I know the DR Pulleys usually work great but Yager has a funny shaped
ramp plate. To those who have them are they still working fine?

2012 Yager GT 200I - Southern NH

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()