Author Topic: noisey belt-normal?  (Read 4692 times)

retread

• View Profile
Re: noisey belt-normal?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 12:55:23 PM »
mine has'd growled since day 1. now with cooler weather and riding with helmet i hear it growl with any accelleration. if i take off really slow there is no growl. just the opposite of what everyone here says. i did the brake and excell thing and quiets for about the 1'st take off. all take off's are strong and it runs great. i'm thinking some of the yagers just make the growl or it's inconsistent chinese manufacture belts or other drive part.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:59:05 PM by retread »

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 01:22:15 AM »
I don't have a growl or shudder, I've got a slight, very high-pitched whistle that's coming from the clutch as it engages on hard takeoffs, and a slight rattle (that I can only hear if I'm riding next to a wall), but only at about 3800 to 4000 RPM engine speed.

I've checked all the bolts, they're tight, I think it's the clutch chattering.

So, it whistles from a dead stop, then chatters if the engine isn't turning fast enough to positively engage the clutch.

My thinking is that the clutch on this bike seems to be undersized, and to compensate, they made the engagement speed higher to give the feel of a stronger takeoff from standstill. But that's causing problems at lower engine speeds.

Anyone know of a better aftermarket clutch that'll fit the Yager?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 01:43:56 AM »
Hi guys. Every scooter will shudder at a different rpm. It is more of a "harmonic/reaction" type deal. you have 40ish independent moving parts all w/ their own job to do as springs wear, rollers flatten, ramps gloss ect. it will change the relation to the next part. These are really not precision machines but rather simple mechanical assemblies. You can make any scooter make the growl you all refer to by finding the rpms that one part falters at. the effect will travel through the drive train, and you get the rest.  If you were to run the machine at the growl rpms only the life span would quickly diminish. The only real solution is to have the "Trans." serviced/inspected annually, and replace the worn bits. Better parts mean less wear but even w/ all the top bits installed you will still find you can make the machine growl. It is just the nature of the beast. New Machine ...Priceless/ Finding out more about it...Not always what you thought.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

fshfindr

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 02:04:34 PM »
mine has'd growled since day 1. now with cooler weather and riding with helmet i hear it growl with any accelleration. if i take off really slow there is no growl. just the opposite of what everyone here says. i did the brake and excell thing and quiets for about the 1'st take off. all take off's are strong and it runs great. i'm thinking some of the yagers just make the growl or it's inconsistent chinese manufacture belts or other drive part.
I had a similar sound. it turned out to be chattering valves that needed to be tightened.  The dealer repaired it.

Richard L.
Richard L. in Bellmawr
Keep The Rubber Side Down & The Helmet Side Up

retread

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 06:49:24 PM »
Hi guys. Every scooter will shudder at a different rpm. It is more of a "harmonic/reaction" type deal. you have 40ish independent moving parts all w/ their own job to do as springs wear, rollers flatten, ramps gloss ect. it will change the relation to the next part. These are really not precision machines but rather simple mechanical assemblies. You can make any scooter make the growl you all refer to by finding the rpms that one part falters at. the effect will travel through the drive train, and you get the rest.  If you were to run the machine at the growl rpms only the life span would quickly diminish. The only real solution is to have the "Trans." serviced/inspected annually, and replace the worn bits. Better parts mean less wear but even w/ all the top bits installed you will still find you can make the machine growl. It is just the nature of the beast. New Machine ...Priceless/ Finding out more about it...Not always what you thought.
     very good explination of what i was thinking. thanks                                                                                                                                         

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 04:13:59 PM »
Hey, gang! Here is my opinion so treat it for what it is worth: My Agility 50 had some noises on acceleration which never seemed to get worse. The Yager had the same noises and very shortly developed the shudder. Here is the opinion: some guy on the chinese scoot forum took some movies of a variator belt while the bike was on the center stand and he revved it up slowly. That variator belt had some of the wildest sinusoidal transitions I have ever seen! I figured the "waves" in the slack side were the cause of most of the noise on acceleration. The shudder I tagged as being in the clutch. That was the worst when "slipping" along at slow speed or taking off slowly. It disappears once the bike gets going. My Yager has over 8000 miles on it and the noises/vibrations have not seemed to change.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

jas67

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 07:00:08 PM »
My People S 250 shutters some on deceleration, but not on acceleration.
2007 People S 250
2009 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic

Wil B.

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 02:48:15 PM »
Finally got the Yager back from the dealer just in time for the Chicago riding season!  Well, in time for me to winterize and pull the battery at least.

I took in a month ago to have the dealer check out the 'shudder' between 5 and 8 mph that had developed after breakin.  The scoot now has 2,000 miles on her.

The mechanic cleaned out the variator facings and belt housings...he said was full or crud from the belt.  He also said that this happens more often on the bigger engined scoots than on the 50cc ones.  I've dealt with this mechanic before and pretty much trust his judgement.  He said that it may or may not reoccur.   Anyhow no charge to me for the service and if this happens again, I'll open up the trans housing myself (looks easy) and see if I can clean out.

Happy Holiday Season to All!

Wil B.
Broadview, IL

'71 Guzzi Ambassador
'91 Nighthawk
'04 Kymco Super 9
'10 Kymko Yager 200gt

Wil B.

2010 Kymco Yager 200
2004 Ktmco Super 9
2014 Honda CTX
"I am not a number. I'm a FREE MAN!"