Author Topic: Has anyone cut out/removed the bar near the top of the People gas tank?  (Read 1094 times)

samkay

• View Profile
I love the GT 300i scooter but I really hate the bar that's about 6" below the gas cap and prevents the nozzle from entering into the gas tank to fill up the bike. Instead of just putting the nozzle in and letting it shut off automatically when the tank is full, like on every other bike in the world, you have to keep looking at "the bar" to make sure you don't fill past the bar. What a waste of time and energy. So my question is this: has anyone simply hacksawed off that damn bar so that you can fill the bike in a simple, straightforward, normal way?

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
Before removing the bar completely I would rather try to bend it a bit out of the way with the nozzle itself or some other propper tool not causing any sparks! In my case that worked on the gastank of the Like 200i.
I can now put the nozzle past the bar on one half of the filler neck if I want to.
The bar itself can be at least quiet a usefull indicator for not overfilling the tank and preventing a mess, if you don´t continue your ride instantly.
Of course this bar solution for sure is not the best of engeneering art...as several other things on our Kymcos as well.

But on the other hand, how many seconds does it really take to fill up manually by hand? "What a waste of time and energy." Seriously?
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Gas nozzle left hand...flashlight right hand.
Wouldn't you have to hang scooter upside down to release metal filings while sawing in the forrest to prevent blowing up the house?
I suppose it could be done.... video please.....if all goes wrong.....
Could beat Justin Beeper on viewer count.
ATGATT recommended.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Burgi

• View Profile
I have a McCuff I use to fill my Bonneville.  It doesn't have the bar but there is a similar issue with having to pull the vapor boot back and fill carefully or it overflows. It is just a piece of rubber, nothing fancy.
https://www.mccuff.com/store/
Tried it with my GT and because of the bar it isn't long enough to work. Seems if you could find something the right length it might work? Not sure how far the nozzle needs to be in the tank. On the Bonnie it works perfect, pump shuts off with no splash or over filling.
Filling wouldn't bother me so much if we didn't have to deal with the vapor boots here. By the time I am done my hands are always dirty and smell of gas.
'14 GT 300i,  BMW RT, Bonneville, SYM HD200

fest

• View Profile
It is annoying but personally I wouldn't do it, so easy to overfill. 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()