Author Topic: '16 Xciting 500 loss of power/top end speed  (Read 2989 times)

MJR

• View Profile
'16 Xciting 500 loss of power/top end speed
« on: November 04, 2018, 03:31:40 PM »
I've had loaned to me a 2016 Xciting 500i with about 13,000 miles on it. I have ridden it about 1,500 miles and have noticed a huge drop in power/top end speed. Originally I could run 80-85 mph indicated at around 7,000-7,500 rpm top end. Now I can't even reach 70 mph indicated at close to 6,000 rpm at wide open throttle and can't even maintain 65 mph indicated at around 5,500 rpm with slight grades on the freeway. I have also noticed what seems like excessive oil in one of the drain tubes. With not even 15,000 miles on its not safe to ride on the freeway and feels like the engine is going to give out.

'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Re: '16 Xciting 500 loss of power/top end speed
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 08:33:06 PM »
The original 80-85 mph doesn't sound right either. That's typical of a 250.

Is that the airbox tube?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 08:58:59 PM »
That is the "Puke tube" with too much nasty stuff that needs periodic draining. Stuff sorta smells like gas but is nearly unburnable. I can get 80 on my DT300i with some throttle left. You gotta problem! Dump the tube and wipeout your air box.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 09:30:53 PM »
It looks like some work had been done on this scoot, as the cvt bolt and holder for  those  two pipes is missing.  I think it could be time for a new belt or rollers. Or, worse case scenario, that exhaust cam is wearing out. (hopefully not the latter)

Sent from my Mi Max using Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 03:43:24 AM »
The original 80-85 mph doesn't sound right either. That's typical of a 250. Is that the airbox tube?

Well the owner said he had taken it to 95 mph before. I'm not sure what it goes to but on my MyRoad it usually has some oil and condensation in it that needs to be drained periodically. When he first brought the bike over I did drain a oil/condensation mix out but now it's just oil.

It looks like some work had been done on this scoot, as the cvt bolt and holder for  those  two pipes is missing.  I think it could be time for a new belt or rollers. Or, worse case scenario, that exhaust cam is wearing out. (hopefully not the latter)

Yes the selling dealer has worked on it and I was told that they had changed the rollers/belt. Not surprising as the bolt for the muffler clamp was also missing, poor work I'd say. I will check the air filter later and maybe engine compression.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

sissymary

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 11:29:03 AM »
Look for a diaphragm (rubber that is) in the fuel injection system. If there is one then that is the issue probably. New gases destroy them. A pin hole leak will suck to much air and make the bike run very lean. :-*

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 12:43:52 PM »
Look for a diaphragm (rubber that is) in the fuel injection system. If there is one then that is the issue probably. New gases destroy them. A pin hole leak will suck to much air and make the bike run very lean. :-*
Think maybe you have EFI confused with a carburettor....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 06:41:19 PM »

How did yours finally go? Did the problem ever get fully resolved? Do you have any photos of the worn cams?

I told the guy who loaned it to me and he made a few calls to Bert's Mega Mall in the service department. Someone there actually suggested is could be normal wear if you can believe that. That's the experience I had with one of the idiot service advisors there when I had my clutch slipping issue he basically suggested I didn't know what I was talking about and being a new bike I should give it time. I also gave the guy contact information on a lemon law lawyer who helped another MyRoad owner get his bought back (and Bert's later resold that bike to someone else).
'14 White MyRoad 700i

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 07:03:41 PM »
MJR, the current issue of oil in the water is still there. The last thing I did is changed the water pump, and have not flushed the system, just waiting for ALL  the oil to rise to the filler pipe, in the hope that I actually resolved it with the water pump. Kinda ostrich head in the sand kind of thing, lol.
Regarding the cams, I have had them replaced 4 times in total, but it has not happened for awhile(head was replaced - used). Last cam job 2017 dec. So far so good. I do have an old cam I could take a photo of. I do have to dig it out.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2018, 05:32:47 AM »
MJR, the current issue of oil in the water is still there. The last thing I did is changed the water pump, and have not flushed the system, just waiting for ALL  the oil to rise to the filler pipe, in the hope that I actually resolved it with the water pump. Kinda ostrich head in the sand kind of thing, lol.
Regarding the cams, I have had them replaced 4 times in total, but it has not happened for awhile(head was replaced - used). Last cam job 2017 dec. So far so good. I do have an old cam I could take a photo of. I do have to dig it out.

I saw a photo of the coolant/oil mix, not good. Problem is that can lead to serious engine failure if the coolant washes the oil off the bearings the crank, cam, or engine can be damaged if the bearings spin.

The cam problem I'm not sure if yours was a problem since new or something happened later. It's possible a manufacturing problem partially blocked a oil passage that lead to the cam wear. After the second one I'd think I would have wanted them to replace the complete engine or went lemon law. Sorry to hear all your problems with the scoot. A photo would be great if you can, thanks.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2018, 05:40:43 AM »
Luckily, the oil is in the cooling system, and not coolant  in the engine oil, so engine lubrication is still fine. I have already swopped  all the rubber water pipes, and I just watch those for swelling. Later today I will get out a damaged exhaust cam for the photo session.

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2018, 06:28:42 AM »
Unfortunately, I have been unable  to locate the old exhaust cam, so I suppose I dumped them.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2018, 04:48:28 PM »
I got off early on Friday and decided to take the Tupperware off needed to have a further look at what's going on. I found a online service manual to reference. I got the plastic off, pulled the spark plug, and whipped out my compression tester to find I didn't have the 10mm adapter needed. Off I went to find it, AutoZone no luck, O'Reillys I found a set of them. When I got home I didn't feel like pressing on.

Saturday morning I went to the Long Beach Motorcycle Show. When I got home in the afternoon it was time to test. I pulled the air filter out which was a little dirty but good otherwise. As per the factory service manual I started the bike and brought it up to operating temperature. I pulled the spark plug, screwed in the compression test hose, attached the gauge and cranked it over. The reading I got was just shy of 140 psi, factory spec is 185 psi so that's roughly a 25% drop in compression and what I suspected that the problem is in the engine. The valve train sounds a bit louder than I think it should be. I'm not sure if it's a worn cam, valve adjusters loose (not sure if that ever happens), valve sealing, or piston rings (might be the case with blowby oil in the drain tube. Here's some photos. How sad that it needs a engine repair with under 15 K miles on it.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 04:50:33 PM by MJR »
'14 White MyRoad 700i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2018, 07:20:51 PM »
Ouch.
Though some owners report having a good experience with the 500 - it sure seems to be the one Kymco 2 wheel model with some issues.
Maybe it's just the sqeaky wheel thing....
There's that one famous youtube of the 500 owner repeatedly going out to try to start his scooter, with no luck.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 11:00:49 PM »
And I hope those owners with good experience continue to have it but I just feel this is unacceptable. I have urged the person who loaned it to me to take into the dealer ASAP for further diagnosis and warranty repair.
'14 White MyRoad 700i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()