Author Topic: what's the wind chill at 34° and 45 mph?  (Read 1875 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
what's the wind chill at 34° and 45 mph?
« on: October 15, 2015, 12:05:44 PM »
Got out the balaclava and the battery powered gloves for my sunrise ride to coffee village this morning. Not that it was light, yet.
Went 3 miles before temp gauge on the Burgman got up to snuff....and yes, I take it easy until then.
Could have been really exciting....they'd flushed all the village hydrants. Glad it was 34° and not 32°, when I came upon that in the dark. Otherwise would have been doing a "Steve McQueen eluding the Germans".....all over the road! :-)
My nose might be running...will know more if I can find a mirror. I'd better do something , people are staring.
Where'd summer go?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Re: what's the wind chill at 34° and 45 mph?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 12:57:43 PM »
RandyO
IBA#9560

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 01:08:20 PM »
cold air = free horsepower

coldest I have ever been out was on my SV650, was -25° for about a 100 mile ride,  I learned very quickly to not pump fuel with your gloves off, heated glove, while they will keep your hands warm, will not warm them back up once they have got that cold, luckily I got gas at the end of the ride and it was only 3 miles back home

I also learned that duct tape is your friend, seal the overlaps between jacket and pants and boots and pantleg by taping them up, a draft of -25 temp @60mph feels like yer getting stuck with a needle
RandyO
IBA#9560

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 02:47:19 PM »
Windchill, what's windchill........? ;D
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

Doc Wheezer

• Silently riding armed through the Mojave Desert.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 04:54:32 PM »
Windchill, what's windchill........? ;D
Exactly,
It is still in the mid to high 90's during the day here in Las Vegas.  Evenings have been cooling down to the 70's.  Great for evening rides. 

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 10:10:02 PM »
I agree. Once your hands get cold they never get warm. I hate having to take my gloves off at a toll to fiddle with money. Luckily, I'm not there yet as it only been in the 50's here in the morning in South Jersey and in the Philly area. Still, I feel more bad ass when I'm prepped for winter riding with my heavy leather jacket, balaclava, thermos, and winter gloves. You can feel the wind break against you like you're the Rock of Gibraltar.

- Wolf

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 03:00:12 AM »
I agree. Once your hands get cold they never get warm. I hate having to take my gloves off
- Wolf

I no longer swipe my card at the pump in winter, always go inside the store to pay, only take my gloves off in warmth
RandyO
IBA#9560

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2015, 04:35:26 AM »
From the chart above, I have been riding to work in 30* wind chill the last two weeks. Brr!

The problem with Idaho weather is that my morning commute is 40 degrees, and it's 75-80 for the ride home. Two different riding seasons in the same day.  :o
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 12:28:24 PM by GLV55 »
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 11:49:04 AM »
Respect to the cold warriors. I was born in upstate New York, but as a Black guy me and cold weather aren't always on the best of terms. If I'm not dressed right it's misery for me.

- Wolf

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 08:19:46 PM »
Respect to the cold warriors. I was born in upstate New York, but as a Black guy me and cold weather aren't always on the best of terms. If I'm not dressed right it's misery for me.

- Wolf
Wolf, not so much a warrior.....just get such a daily kick out of commuting or goofing on a scooter!
Never displayed much good sense down through the decades....this thing with scooters is no different.
Boy, these guys are correct about not removing your gloves on a cold day. Too many times I've paid for taking photos on a cold day. Built a fire once in a state park and freq give the muffler some hugs......until I smell rhe cow hide cooking.
I've only been riding three yrs....maybe the fun of it will fade some year. But so far......!!
Stig
Supposed to frost tomorrow. :-)

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mnpugdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 10:04:48 PM »
Was 34 this morning for me. Going to be upper 20's for tomorrows ride to work. ;D

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 09:12:35 PM »
Our first day of frost. My scooter's in the shop - nail in the tire. My wife and I traveled up to the Poconos today by car. In the middle of the afternoon it started snowing for about 5 minutes.

Winter is coming.

- Wolf

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()