Author Topic: Does everyone have a dipstick?  (Read 1705 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Does everyone have a dipstick?
« on: October 09, 2015, 11:36:32 AM »
Burgmans have an oil window....no dipstick.
Oil level must be checked after a 3 min run with a 3min wait...OFF  of the center stand...489 lb. scoot held level. Of course you will need a buddy to then kneel down in the puddle at the gas station to look down there into that window.
Wonderful system.
Any oil windows on Kymcos, and if so how do you deal with it?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
Re: Does everyone have a dipstick?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 12:47:40 PM »
Dipstick envy ?  ;)
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

slug50

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 12:51:24 PM »
I looked at the Burgman scooters and for the price difference WOW. If you can afford a Burgman just rent a friend to help you check the oil. LOL

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 03:33:20 PM »
I looked at the Burgman scooters and for the price difference WOW. If you can afford a Burgman just rent a friend to help you check the oil. LOL
Not many pay retail.
Mine was thousands off list, plus dealer discounts for OTD final price. (actually about the same as a discounted Forza OTD and just a bit more than a 300 Kymco ,and the Kymco does not have ABS - usually about a $500 option - but standard on the Burgman)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 07:56:29 PM »
Burgmans have an oil window....no dipstick.
Oil level must be checked after a 3 min run with a 3min wait...OFF  of the center stand...489 lb. scoot held level. Of course you will need a buddy to then kneel down in the puddle at the gas station to look down there into that window.
Wonderful system.
Any oil windows on Kymcos, and if so how do you deal with it?
Stig

use the mirror on a stick method while straddling the scooter, look at the oil window with a mirror. this is method I use on my V-strom sometimes however it is not that hard to keep the bike balanced with your left hand on the seat while bending over to look thru the oil window, and a V-strom is a lot more top heavy than a Bergman
RandyO
IBA#9560

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 09:07:56 PM »
I guess the Burg does not have a centerstand. I actually like the idea of a sight glass. One really needed on the gearbox. Bluesin nailed it!

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 09:47:55 PM »
My scooters all have dipsticks.  Both of my motorcycles have sight glasses.  I'll take a sight glass over a dipstick any day.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 10:16:46 PM »
Yea my KLS250s has a sight glass and the rear brake lever is right there. You need to stand the bike upright holding it, then press down on the rear brake all the while squatting as low as you can to see the oil level. PIA, but I love the bike. Every beauty has at least 1 flaw.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2015, 01:49:05 AM »
I have a dipstick. But if my wife finds out I call her that I wont have a scooter.

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2015, 03:10:21 PM »
What's her name and #? I'm going to snitch. She probably wears the pants around your house.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 11:46:59 AM »
How hard would it be to place the oil sight glass window in the engine so that you can get an accurate level reading while the scooter is on the center stand??!
This removes the variance that happens from different preload settings of rear shock.
And on a motorcycle that has no center stand -- put the windows in proper place for a side stand reading.
What am I missing here?
Pull the dipstick on anydamthing that has oil in it.....so much easier than any window and 100% fool proof.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

bluesin

• 2012 DT 300i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 12:57:53 PM »
I guess the Burg does not have a centerstand. I actually like the idea of a sight glass. One really needed on the gearbox. Bluesin nailed it!

Karl

;) 8)
"There is a Fifth Dimension beyond which is known to Man. It is a Dimension as vast as Space and as timeless as Infinity......It is an area which we call 'The Twilight Zone' .   "Rod Serling

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()