Author Topic: Non rider wanting to purchase scooter for commuting  (Read 4208 times)

wkreps

• View Profile
Re: Non rider wanting to purchase scooter for commuting
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 07:19:17 PM »
I commute 14 miles one way with speeds of 45-55mph. I own a super8 150 and felt that the running around at top speed left me vulnerable on those 55mph roads. Nothing left in the throttle. The 150cc really would be good for my commute and has been but something happened on the way to learning and riding my first scooter. I learned that I wanted to do more than just ride to work. Taking it on trips and running on group rides on the weekends seemed to be something I became very interested in even though I had never thought of it when I bought my first scoot. Jump up to a 300cc. With your commute being double mine I'd jump above the 150cc. 300cc minimum and more if you want to get something bigger.
Wayne

TLRam1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 05:42:14 AM »
I concur with what many have said but will add/organize a few points.

Not sure what your budget is, bought my People 250 S, 300 miles on it for 2200.00 about a year ago for comparison sake. Not the Cheapest but a new scooter that had been keep inside. No sun exposure and was/looked New, a good deal for me.

1. With few exceptions I would go nothing less than a 250  (easily does 70 plus)

2. 300's are the newer version, fuel injected and have more oomph

3. Large wheel scooter will be more stable than smaller wheel and handle potholes better

4. If you want a windshield larger than stock, make sure they are still available (same with any acc. you may want)

5. Look at storage and /or topcase, will it hold what you want to carry.

Terry
10 Kymco People S 250
87 Yamaha Riva 200 (Sold)
Allen TX (Dallas)
cli-maxridinggear.com

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2015, 04:44:07 PM »
.............................................. I learned that I wanted to do more than just ride to work. Taking it on trips and running on group rides on the weekends seemed to be something I became very interested in even though I had never thought of it when I bought my first scoot. .............

This is a very good point.  I know several people who bought a small bike for commuting and then discovered how much fun they are and started riding for fun.  While my Super 8 is an absolute blast around town, it's top speed limits what I can do with it.  It's not an issue for me because I have several bigger bikes as well. 

How big should you go?  Everyone has different opinions on this but I think that anything with a top speed of 70 or more will handle most situations other than long highway rides. 

I also have an Aprilia Sport City 250.  I have ridden it on long multi day trips with all my camping gear and have done as much as 550 miles in one day on it.  Most 250cc scooters will do 75+ and can handle most highways easily.  However, going 300 or bigger will have more reserve on the highway.  Going 400cc or larger will also get you a much bigger and heavier bike.  This is not necessarily a good thing, especially for a beginner. 

Since this is your first scooter, I'd get something used and inexpensive and not worry too much about getting just the right scooter.  You'll have a much better Idea of what you want after you have been riding for a while and then you should be able to sell whatever you got without much of a loss and get what you really want. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 09:09:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone! Budget is definately a huge consideration. That being said, I purchased a 2009 one owner Kymco People 150 through an Ebay auction for $920.00.  Has 3800 miles and has never been crashed. It was local so I got the chance to check it out before I bid. It was from a guy like me (mid 50s) who rode it to work occasionally. It already has a Shad storage box on the back. I am extremely happy with the deal I got and am looking forward to riding it.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2015, 02:48:08 AM »
...That being said, I purchased a 2009 one owner Kymco People 150....
Excellent choice! The People 150 is a great scooter, and you will love it. Very solid frame with a smooth ride, thanks to those 16" wheels. Many happy miles of riding to you, Mr. Paul.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2015, 01:59:44 PM »
Excellent choice! The People 150 is a great scooter, and you will love it. Very solid frame with a smooth ride, thanks to those 16" wheels. Many happy miles of riding to you, Mr. Paul.

I totally agree!  Great choice.  Have fun with it and check in once in a while and tell us how it's working out for you.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2015, 02:40:40 AM »
Thanks all! Just purchased a helmet and a scuuhrreeeming hi viz jacket. Cant wait to get on the road. I am astounded at how much grunt that little 150cc has.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

2wheelfun

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2015, 04:58:39 AM »
In m/c circles there is a saying, There's no replacement for displacement!. Do what's best for you.

ad_astra

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 05:52:22 PM »
I'm a big guy and the 125 gets met around fine on the local roads. I might eventually get a 250 just because of storage space and occasionally wanting to get on an expressway, but I'm not in any hurry, and I'll keep the 125. 
2014 Kymco Agility 125

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 12:27:46 AM »
Thanks everyone! I ended up getting a People 150. It was a deal at $920.00. One owner, 6000 kilometers, never laid down, in great condition. Runs like a top.
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()