Scooters - 125 to 300 > People s200

no going back, now, motor out!

(1/10) > >>

Iahawk:
I posted a few months back about my bad engine vibration and the curly metal shavings in my oil at the last drain. Not good. I'm still convinced it's the crank or crank bearings...and to look at them I have to pull the motor and crack the case.

So I ordered all the gaskets, o rings and oil seals that will be replaced when I open it up. All parts plus 2 new tools (special socket for the starter clutch nut and a flywheel puller) cost me about $100 USD before shipping. Very reasonable.

It was actually very easy to pull the motor, which I've never done before. First step is to strip the bodywork, which I've detailed before. then pull CVT cover, disconnect rear brake line, tire hugger, intake manifold (I left intake, carb and airbox connected as one unit), a few vacuum lines, the starter cable and stator cable, rear shocks, remove exhaust and remove the one long engine hanger bolt and nut. I supported the motor from beneath with wood and supported the front of the motor with a clamp, clamping under the valve cover and over the front seat support bar.

Then push the motor slightly down and back, while still connected to the rear wheel. Pretty easy to remove and move around. Then I took off the rear wheel and carried the motor down to my basement workbench. I'm guessing it weighs around 50 lbs?

I won't tear the engine down until I have my replacement gaskets here. Those should arrive this week (all Kymco OEM parts). I'll wait to order the new crank until I verify that it needs one. $177 USD at Solano cycle. I'll also check my local dealer.

Why go to all this trouble? I find it enjoyable to work on things. To me it's a cheap price to pay for some fun. If it needs a crank and I repalce it I'll be into this repair for about $300 USD. Lots of hobbies cost much more than $300! I'm looking forward to a fun winter project and to learn more about how these little GY6 motors go together.  I've already watched a bunch of youtube videos on this...doesn't look complicated at all. Attached a few pics.

More to come.

Ruffus:
@hawk, you're so right about costs of fun. Keep us posted.

Stig / Major Tom:
8 o'clock every Tuesday evening in the basement of the Methodist church....

"Hello, my name is Hawk. I take my scooters apart and I can't help it."

"Welcome, Hawk!"

(it's OK Hawk --- I attend a like group for Nocturnal Rain Riders)

Stig

Iahawk:
hahahaha....I believe it is a sickness! I....must.....pull...things...apart!  Even as a kid I'd try to take all kinds of things apart. My problem was (is?) that I'd usually break something in the process and not be able to put it back together, again!

Already ran into my first issue..the universal flywheel puller I bought seems to have the wrong thread pitch...it almost wants to thread in but then just keeps spinning...sigh.........

Edit - I feel dumb...left hand threads on the flywheel puller. Works like a champ, now.

CROSSBOLT:

--- Quote from: Iahawk on February 05, 2022, 09:55:10 PM ---hahahaha....I believe it is a sickness! I....must.....pull...things...apart!  Even as a kid I'd try to take all kinds of things apart. My problem was (is?) that I'd usually break something in the process and not be able to put it back together, again!

Already ran into my first issue..the universal flywheel puller I bought seems to have the wrong thread pitch...it almost wants to thread in but then just keeps spinning...sigh.........

Edit - I feel dumb...left hand threads on the flywheel puller. Works like a champ, now.

--- End quote ---
You shoulda been in the Navy! We took things apart regularly when they worked fine just to reassemble them!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version