Author Topic: People 50 stalls after driving  (Read 3569 times)

CMike

• View Profile
People 50 stalls after driving
« on: March 05, 2009, 01:16:56 AM »
I just bought (on 3/2/09) a "used" 2004 Kymco People 50.  It is in excellent cosmetic condition and had only 67 km on it!!  GREAT deal!!  :D

The catch:  The electric starter doesn't seem to be working, but the kick start works well.  After running (and driving) for a while, the scooter seems to putter and stall.   :-\  There is about (or above) a half tank of gas so I cannot imagine thats the issue.

I'm thinking it must have sat for a while.  I don't have any mechanical skills to speak of, so I was hoping someone here would have some experience with this matter and could point me in the right direction.

Is this a relatively inexpensive ($300 or less) problem to have fixed?

ALSO, after taking it for a quick spin tonight the blinker was making some funny buzzing sound and seemed to almost get stuck (i.e. the "blinking" was very random and uneven.).  The blinker would illuminate and buzz at the same time and seem to hesitate there (while buzzing) before it cut off and blinked a couple times then would stutter again.  Any ideas?

I'm sure the battery is the original.  Would that be my *first* trouble shooting?

Any information / links / suggestions / input would be GREATLY appreciated.

juice

• View Profile
Re: People 50 stalls after driving
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 01:39:53 AM »
I just bought a used people 50 in january . Mine won't run well in very cold weather . I bought a battery tender (1.5 amp. smart charger) and added some sea foam additive to the gas . I also installed a new NGK iridium plug . She is running great now . Congratulations on your choice . Good luck .

CMike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 01:48:59 AM »
thanks for the info....

Can I ask?... What year is your People 50?  Did yours do the same thing before doing those things?

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 03:00:50 AM »
My people 50 is a 2002 with 600 km . I had some trouble with it cutting out and it would not rev. This happened during a cold snap in Virginia . Im not sure which measure made the most difference , but they are all relatively inexpensive and easy . I ordered my NGK BPR8HIX 6742 through Advance Auto . Good luck , let us know what happens . Thanks . Also how fast yours will go ?

Imation_nation

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009, 03:53:06 AM »
I have a 05 People 50 I bought used. I noticed that whenever it got below about 45 degrees, the engine would tend to cut out after about 2 minutes or so when at an intersection and stopped. Apparently once the fuel enrichment circuit cuts out, the engine runs too lean because the cold air is denser. Whenever it's about 45 or colder, I place a piece of plastic I found that slips over the air intake that covers about 1/2 of it. It restricts the air just enough that the engine runs rich enough that it does not cut out. Since doing this I have never had a problem with it cutting out and I ride alot when it's cold. When it's above 45 I sinply slip the plastic piece  off.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 04:06:21 AM »
So you cover the air filter housing ? What kind of plastic ? I wish we had a picture . Thanks .

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 01:48:11 AM »
I took a nice ride today on my people 50 , about 15 mi. After the ride I changed the transmission (gear) oil with mobile 1 synthetic . I think the previous owner may have changed it at 300 km as recomended as it was very clean at 680 km. I also have a honda metropolitan but the people 50 is fast becoming my favorite , it is faster , better on the hills , stops better , and handles and rides better and safer on the 16 " wheels . The honda is an excellent scooter though and I have put 2,900 miles on it . At 100 mpg it sure came in handy during the $4.00 + gas price era . I may just keep them both .

Imation_nation

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 08:03:10 PM »
Juice
I cover the part of the air inlet part of the air housing. The air inlet itself is only about a 1" square. I cover about 1/2 of it when the temp goes below 45 which is a lot here in Wi this time of year. I also bought a nice large windshield for it that works great for this time of year..  I'll send you some photos later today at your email address.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()