Author Topic: Another dumb question  (Read 1178 times)

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
Another dumb question
« on: April 29, 2020, 07:50:28 PM »
OK, I watched a YouTube video on changing the oil and filter on a Kymco Downtown 300, thinking the process would be similar to changing the oil and filter in my GV.  In the video, after the oil was drained, the guy doing the change pulled the oil screen and then a filter from underneath the scooter.  My question is this... and it may be dumb... does the GV 250 use an oil filter in addition to the oil filter screen.  I've looked in the lubrication system diagrams of the GV, and all I see is the screen.  Please let me know.  If the GV does use a separate oil filter, what is the number of the filter.

Thanks.  Boy, am I feeling stupid...

Jeff

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Another dumb question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 01:04:14 AM »
The only two dumb questions are 1. The one you didn't ask and 2. The one you already know the answer. #2 may be used to find out if someone else knows what they are talking about and lawyers while buildingva case.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 01:25:23 AM »
Well said, Karl. 

I scrounged around online quite a bit, and think I found my answer in a couple of other forums.  It appears that the GV 250 does not have a traditional oil filter like other Kymcos, other bikes, and cars do.  The screen filter, based on what I read, is the only oil filtering system the GV 250 uses.  If any other GV 250 owners can either confirm or correct that for me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.

Jeff

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 06:48:50 PM »
No filter! And that screen is a joke: it would only catch stuff so ridiculously large that it would be like wearing a sieve on your face to protect against the corona virus. I don't even bother to clean it anymore.

My advice: change oil at 1000 miles or sooner.
2009 GV 250

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 08:21:35 AM »
Thanks.  Is this what it looks like?  Looking at it, it looks like the same sized screen as in a porch door. 

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 12:00:55 PM »
Thanks.  Is this what it looks like?  Looking at it, it looks like the same sized screen as in a porch door. 

Yes. But don't go getting any ideas.....

😊Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

jak51

• Northeast Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 08:05:58 PM »
Stig -

Well, I do have a screen door that has a much finer mesh.  But my wife would kill me if I cut it up to make a filter screen.  Oh darn!

Jeff

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()