Author Topic: Winter service on the HELMET - bath time  (Read 1611 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Winter service on the HELMET - bath time
« on: January 05, 2021, 12:35:08 AM »

Lousy weather, so good time to remove the pads from my helmet and give them a soaking, a squish and a couple rinses.
First 3 washes returned dirty water in the basin!....

ah - this is the first time these have been washed. Do not recall how many years I've had this Nolan N104-EVO modular helmet. (less than 8, more than 5?)

Of course I'm not soaking the helmet - just washing the removable pads, and wipe down the inside....per the instructions in the booklet from Nolan. (youtube can often help with the pad removal procedure)
Stig
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 01:07:59 PM by Stig / Major Tom »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Winter service on the HELMET - bath time
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 01:32:35 AM »
that's a good thing to do, Stig. I wash mine in the bathroom sink using Johnson's Baby Shampoo. They smell great when they're clean! (funny you posted this as I haven't washed mine all year..and I asked my 10 year old to smell my helmet the other day, and she did...and then yelled at me about how smelly it was!)

2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2021, 07:36:14 AM »
-3c here currently so that may well be a little job for later [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 10:48:33 PM »
I do not keep helmets very long under normal circumstances----I do wipe the insides down with Windex and a rag-    20,000 miles or so, they stink----I buy name brand $40 helmets and simply throw them away when they appear tired and stink.   New helmets smell  good and fit well.

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 02:44:05 PM »
Not quite at the $40 point yet John, but I do think my days of buying top flight Arai's or AGV's may well be over, barring a Lottery win.  Like you I'd rather find a bargain so I  seek out last years models of named manufacturers and usually get a handsome discount.  My last bargain-bin lid was a £200 HJC which I secured for £99.  That'll do me thank you very much.

(Like you Stig, I have a big 'ead, so my size is often one of the ones left on the shelf...)
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 04:23:01 PM »
Not quite at the $40 point yet John, but I do think my days of buying top flight Arai's or AGV's may well be over, barring a Lottery win.  Like you I'd rather find a bargain so I  seek out last years models of named manufacturers and usually get a handsome discount.  My last bargain-bin lid was a £200 HJC which I secured for £99.  That'll do me thank you very much.

(Like you Stig, I have a big 'ead, so my size is often one of the ones left on the shelf...)
I once dismounted my Honda Forza and was stepping back onto the sidewalk, when a guy standing there said, "that's an awfully big helmet for such a little scooter".
I couldn't make out whether his sarcasm was directed at my helmet, or my scooter.
I just gave him a friendly smile - because I'd just ridden a nice scooter and was headed down the street for a great cup of Dino's coffee.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 04:25:24 PM »
Yep, there are times when it’s a bind, but mostly I’m cool with it. Not so my daughter who has inherited it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 05:24:46 PM »

I own a Shoei and several HJC full face helmets I use on the motorcycles.  For the scooters I like the Gmax GM-32 open face. John uses the Gmax OF-2 which is lighter.  I purchased a OF-2 and like it as well. I found the Gmax helmets fit well, comfortable  and pass the DOT testing.  You can purchase helmet interior components as well.  On a hot summer day I like a comfortable helmet with good air flow and great visibility.  My local Kymco dealer introduced me to Gmax helmets when I  Purchased a new  Yamaha Zuma 125. Can't say I'm disappointed with there performance.

Nothing wrong if you can find a bargin on a premium helmet especially if they are comfortable and fit well and more importantly you wear it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 05:29:00 PM by Kansas kymco »
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

Kansas kymco

• Mcpherson KS or Ely MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 05:32:45 PM »
I once dismounted my Honda Forza and was stepping back onto the sidewalk, when a guy standing there said, "that's an awfully big helmet for such a little scooter".
I couldn't make out whether his sarcasm was directed at my helmet, or my scooter.
I just gave him a friendly smile - because I'd just ridden a nice scooter and was headed down the street for a great cup of Dino's coffee.
Stig
Some times discretion is the better part of valor.
In parts 200S and Grand Vista and my motorcycles 2 CS BMW'S and one GS BMW.

Sold-32 Kymco scooters of various sizes this summer.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 05:49:54 PM »
Stig

You should have said, "Guys with big 'helmets' don't need to ride big bikes!"
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2021, 03:48:41 PM »
Yeah, the smart retorts always come to us about 15 minutes after we needed them...
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2021, 03:49:49 PM »
My local Kymco dealer introduced me to Gmax helmets when I  Purchased a new  Yamaha Zuma 125. Can't say I'm disappointed with there performance.

Nothing wrong if you can find a bargin on a premium helmet especially if they are comfortable and fit well and more importantly you wear it.

Not sure we get Gmax here in the UK KK, but I'm sure going to take a look now!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2021, 12:48:53 AM »
Yep, there are times when it’s a bind, but mostly I’m cool with it. Not so my daughter who has inherited it...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And so has my daughter. She is 5'8" (5'8" mother, & I'm 6'3"+ her 2 brothers are over 6') - so her noggin seems proportional to me. She complains constantly that too many guys 'out there' are just too short to be of interest.
She's a super young lady, sharing my politics and my humor, but not afraid to 'get all up in my business' if I'm needing it - so I've no interest in marrying her off any time soon :)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Neil955i

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2021, 08:33:45 AM »
You and me both Tom, but then mine is only 19, so far too young to be getting wed any time soon!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()