Author Topic: Short video: Changing Clutch springs  (Read 3428 times)

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
Short video: Changing Clutch springs
« on: August 05, 2012, 04:09:05 AM »
I made this video tonight showing how I change clutch springs on the Dr. Pulley HiT clutch.  I hope that it might be helpful!

Best!

~Josh
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

Areomyst

• Scootin' America!
    • View Profile
    • American Scooter Forum - Scooter Invasion
Re: Short video: Changing Clutch springs
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 04:46:02 AM »
Some photos of the tool.

You can see in this last photo that the edge is rounded off at the tip.  This is where I messed up grinding, but next time I will make a small indentation for the spring to rest in.  As-is it works quite well, but will be better when I improve the tips.

~Josh
www.scooterinvasion.net - Tech help, repairs & tuning.

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 06:42:56 AM »
Thats the only way Ive ever been able to change the polini 3k triples. Using an Awl is just awlful.
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

wassonii

• Death needs Time for what it kills to grow in -wsb
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 12:46:15 PM »
Excellent! I had been planning on getting a set of these pliers/tips soon. Even on lesser stiffness springs, the awl is not the best option. Home Depot has them for 21.95, I think.
sans scooter, rien

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 06:46:58 PM »
I know old post, but...  I use safety wire to loop around one end of the spring to take it off or install.  Put the clutch in a vise to secure, loop safety wire around the end of the spring you want to remove, twist the safety wire a little so the wire will stay on the spring(I use safety wire pliers to twist it a little), use common pliers (vise grips work well) to pull on the loose end of the safety wire, spring will come off easy.  Cheers
1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

Yager200i

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 09:43:47 PM »
I just changed out the springs on my 2010 Kymco Yager GT 200i clutch. I used a small hex wrench under the spring, grabbed the short end of the hex wrench with a pair of pliers, and used my other hand to hold the long end of the hex wrench and the clutch itself, then sort of just 'levered' the springs out of their holes. They came off pretty easily, and the new ones went on without much fuss.

gauth42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 03:08:02 PM »
What is the advantage of a stronger spring ,does it make a difference,if so what can of difference??

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2015, 03:58:43 PM »
What is the advantage of a stronger spring ,does it make a difference,if so what can of difference??

Gauth I am no expert but after reading, I believe the different clutch springs allow the clutch to grab at different RPMs. Do you want the bike to rev up high and then grab and go or grab right away at low RPM's.

I think the adjustable clutches do something similar .

If you ride in on long straight roads with no stop and go, you may want one type of spring.

If you do a lot of city stop and go you want another type.

If you race you will want one type of spring also. You will most likely want to really rev that bike up then shoot off the starting line.

If you get a stiff spring that causes the bike to rev up a lot before engaging, and you drive stop and go in the city a lot, you will find your self having to keep revving up the bike just to get going.

I am not sure what springs or adjustable clutch setting are ideal for hills or what rpm's the stock springs are.

For popular clutch springs (there are exceptions) I believe
yellow=1000 rpm
blue=1500 rpm
red (racing)=2000 rpm

But this is my interpretation and please anyone correct me if Im wrong.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 04:26:30 PM by Chris0381 »
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 04:53:12 PM »
That's correct of the clutch springs, although in this video it's showing how to change the PILLOW springs, on the HIT clutch there is a second action other than centrifugal clutch motion. After the centrifugal clutch engages the "pillow" springs buffer the HIt action. The HIT clutch kind of pivots and wedges the clutch pads against the bell, causing an almost 100% lockup without slip. The pillow springs buffer this action, stiffer means less or later engagement of the HIT action, softer or no springs means the clutch is allowed to "lock" sooner and harder. I actually broke a crank on my 180cc GY6 build a few years ago because the HIT hit too hard, kind of like just dumping your clutch on a manual vehicle. I would not buy an HIT clutch for a daily driver again, it's VERY VERY hard to tune it to grip good AND be smooth. If you tune it for great acceleration then its INSANELY choppy when you take off slow or uphill, and if you try and tune it a little less aggressive it slips too much. Good I would imagine for racing, terrible for the street.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

mrbios

• 2005 Kymco Grandvista 250cc
  • Just crusing along on my 2005 GV250
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 02:42:07 AM »
B&L, thanks for this explanation.  I am getting ready to inspect my clutch springs as my clutch is partially engaged even with the motor off.  When I coasted to a stop the engine was still turning.  Also, with the motor off and my scoot on the center stand the rear wheel is hard to turn like the clutch is still engaged.  This just happened today.  My 2005 GV250 has 19.5K miles and have never changed anything except the drive belt.  All other parts are oem original.

That's correct of the clutch springs, although in this video it's showing how to change the PILLOW springs, on the HIT clutch there is a second action other than centrifugal clutch motion. After the centrifugal clutch engages the "pillow" springs buffer the HIt action. The HIT clutch kind of pivots and wedges the clutch pads against the bell, causing an almost 100% lockup without slip. The pillow springs buffer this action, stiffer means less or later engagement of the HIT action, softer or no springs means the clutch is allowed to "lock" sooner and harder. I actually broke a crank on my 180cc GY6 build a few years ago because the HIT hit too hard, kind of like just dumping your clutch on a manual vehicle. I would not buy an HIT clutch for a daily driver again, it's VERY VERY hard to tune it to grip good AND be smooth. If you tune it for great acceleration then its INSANELY choppy when you take off slow or uphill, and if you try and tune it a little less aggressive it slips too much. Good I would imagine for racing, terrible for the street.
PaulC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()