Scooters - 50cc > People 50

New member - 2005 Kymco People 50

(1/2) > >>

goodegg:
Hey all--new member here. I'm taking over the family's People scooter and it's been lacking in maintenance over the years. Just purchased a service manual from Cyclepedia/RepairManual.com (referenced in another post) as I know next to nothing about any kind of engine repair (did an accidental MotoGP Shift on my old Kawasaki 250 as an example). I'll probably be hitting up this thread as I get things going.

Right now, the scooter starts hard (kick and electric) and idles poorly until it's been ridden for a few minutes. If I run the scooter, shut it off, and try to restart it in a short period of time, it takes a LONG time to get going, no matter if it's the kick or electric start. One thing that occasionally helps is putting my hand over the air intake when starting and using that special touch to get things moving. When it's running, it can be a little ping-y. I also think I have some exhaust leaking out on the left side.

Anyway, I'm guessing I'll need to:
Clean/replace the air filter
Replace the spark plug
Clean/replace the carb
Clean out gunk from all over the damn place

Excited to be trying this stuff out for the first time, and grateful in advance for the helpful members on this forum. I solemnly swear to try and search old posts before posting new ones!

-Brian

stuo:
"Pingy"? I'd get some fresh premium gas into the tank and hopefully get rid of the pinging.

Neil955i:
Welcome to the forum Brian and good to hear your People 50 is to get a new lease of life.  I take it we’re talking 2T engine? If so, they do have a ringy pingy noise when running!  (Only ever had one 2T, an old BSA Bantam, and the pre-mix palaver - 25:1 as I recall - with that was a pain!)

Yes, start with your list and Stuo’s suggestion then report back.

Stig / Major Tom:
He sounds like he's going to be a good egg, doesn't he!

:)

Stig

stuo:
P.S.

You didn't mention the mileage the bike has on it, or how long it's been sitting unused. Now that we burn unleaded gas spark plugs rarely cause problems and a can of additive in the gas tank may do the job of cleaning your carburetor. I'd first ride it a couple hundred miles and you might find it running and starting much better. I'd change the oil and inspect the air filter and CVT drive belt.  Good luck, happy riding.

Stu

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version