Author Topic: Bigger tire more speed?  (Read 2313 times)

philskaggs

• View Profile
Bigger tire more speed?
« on: May 09, 2009, 07:46:58 PM »
I got a flat on my people 50 in the rear and took it to get fixed. They had a tire that was bigger than the what was on it(3 1/2 vs 3 1/4). I had it put on because that was all they had and didnt want to wait a week to order. On the way home I noticed that the scoot was going 45 instead of its usual 40. (the boss drive has been deristricted). Is the bigger tire increasing the speed, Or increasing the rpm ratio of the speedomiter?

OldGuy

• View Profile
Re: Bigger tire more speed?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 11:53:27 PM »
I believe the speedo drive is on the front tire so you're going faster. Acceleration may be a bit slower though. Think of the tire as a gear.
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 12:34:25 AM »
Good answer !

abobotek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 11:21:22 PM »
I got a flat on my people 50 in the rear and took it to get fixed. They had a tire that was bigger than the what was on it(3 1/2 vs 3 1/4). I had it put on because that was all they had and didnt want to wait a week to order. On the way home I noticed that the scoot was going 45 instead of its usual 40. (the boss drive has been deristricted). Is the bigger tire increasing the speed, Or increasing the rpm ratio of the speedomiter?

It's quite likely that you're running higher tire pressure now.  A 1/2 inch difference in diameter (1/4 in in radius) would make less than a 5% difference in speed.  Tire drag is a major factor, with some tires having much more friction than others, especially if underinflated.  If you want to go faster, pump your tires up to the maximum rated pressure.  You'll get higher speeds and longer tire life.  Traction (and often safety) and comfort may suffer. 
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 11:23:11 PM by abobotek »
Red 2007 People S 200
Black 2008 Yamaha Majesty

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()