Author Topic: Oldest item you still own and use?  (Read 435 times)

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Oldest item you still own and use?
« on: January 19, 2024, 03:18:01 PM »
Numerous tools which I inherited from my father - anyone got a use for any Whitworth or BSF spanners?  But the item in almost daily use for 40+ years is my  silk skull cap which is used under my motorcycle helmet.  Can't find a like for like replacement over here as this one was bought in the USA whilst on holiday.  (And no manufacturers label to guide my search.)

Plus Stig, if you say "the Wife!" I'll report you to that Admin atop the Eiger.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Oldest item you still own and use?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 04:28:19 PM »
I have an enameled steel U.S.N. dinner plate that I have been eating out of for nearly 70 years, the blue trim & lettering is a bit faded, couple chips in the enamel, pretty sure it's something my great grandfather brought home from WWI

I've got older surveying equipment, that I display, an 1810 Chandler staff compass and Gunter's chain of similar vintage, an 1852 RR map of NH
RandyO
IBA#9560

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 04:48:59 PM »
I was going to say an old Stanley hand drill from the 1940s. The kind with the side gear hand crank and it works great. But I inherited a few antique dressers from my grandparents and a full sized bed frame, and a side table that were all likely made before 1900. One dresser and the table have marble tops.
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 05:58:20 PM »
I have a gold plated Scheaffer pen and automatic pencil set that was given to my father as a going away gift from his employer when my family moved from New England to California in 1960.I can still get cartridges for the pen.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 06:02:52 PM by big blue »
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 06:18:29 PM »
Nice thread Neil.  Some nifty answers as well.
Off the top of my head, for regular use I have a 1950's Dexter Chef knife (German style) in all of it's old tool steel, & rosewood scale glory I got a thrift store decades ago.
For very rare use I have a couple old SAE sockets I picked up at a garage sale or something down the years.  Pretty sure they're older than the knife, but not sure on the years, but just found this link https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/craftsman-hand-tool-manufacturers-date-ranges.84807/
So may go dig 'em up and see if I can zero that in a little.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 10:12:25 PM »
Purchased post-war while we lived in Germany, in a house requisitioned from a German family near the prison where Hitler wrote Mein Kampf. The family was given 4 hours notice to vacate.
The Rosenthal china was purchased on the German economy, not requisitioned.
My father (navigator/bombardier) remained in Germany with the (American) occupational forces. My 19 yr old mother joined him from Dayton, OH.
Brother and I born in the American hosp in Munich.

We have a set of 6 cups and saucers which we use on special days.

As for my personal items....probably these two.
I purchased the Zippo during C.O. basic training, or during combat medic training at Ft Sam Houston, TX. It used to have pretty enameled colors in it. Used it in Vietnam, and later. (we all smoked like crazy - a carton was cheap)
Still carry it sometimes - hinge is broken, and it leaks (burns the thigh!)
And came home with 2 bandage scissors. The one not shown has dried blood on it and is not appropriate to display.
I keep it in a sealed bag - so that I don't forget....

Zippo says, "To Conserve The Fighting Strength"

Whatever - sounded too much like, "patch 'em up and get 'em back out there!"  We were more concerned with conserving these 19 year olds for their mom's.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 10:17:53 PM »
I was going to say an old Stanley hand drill from the 1940s. The kind with the side gear hand crank and it works great. But I inherited a few antique dressers from my grandparents and a full sized bed frame, and a side table that were all likely made before 1900. One dresser and the table have marble tops.

I have an old dry sink, something that came from my grandparents on my mother's side, I assume from late 1920s or 30s, when my grandparents immigrated from Quebec, my mom was first born in US (1929), all my aunts & uncles on her side are Canadians. I'll bet I have some old kitchen utensils of unknown age and origin, a meat grinder/sausage maker is one thing I have but doesn't get used often, venison for all practical purposes. We have a couple old rocking chairs that my GF acquired I don't know how long ago

my sister has an old antique rope bed, not sure how far to trace that back, might be something my great grampa Bill made, I have an oak end table in pieces (stripping layers of paint to have a wood finish) grampa Bill was also a whirly-gig fanatic, he had several in his yard, don't know what ever happened to them, he lived into his 90s so I got to know him better than my grandparents

I've NEVER bought new furniture, always used, solid wood, buy it once, don't buy it again. So the more I look around, I don't know how old my GFs china cabinet is

I have a couple of Stanley thermos bottles that are 50 years old, along with vintage Coleman white gas camping equipment.

The newest thing I have probably, is my 19/20 year old Toyota Tacoma, no, my motorcycles 2022 AK550, etc. and chainsaws
RandyO
IBA#9560

rjs987

• 2022 Kymco AK 550 - Matte Deep Blue
  • Central Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2024, 12:15:08 AM »
Forgot to mention that I still have the P-38 that my dad gave me from when he was in the US Marines during WW2.
It is part of my camping kitchen gear and I use it every time I go camping for something... opening cans of chunked chicken, cutting thread for patching/sewing up torn camping gear, or other things. That blade is still really sharp.

Someplace I also have a P-51 but those were not quite as good... or maybe the P-51 I had was a cheap clone... so I keep and use the P-38. The biggest difference between the two is that the P-38 is about 1.5 inches long and the P-51 is 2 inches long. The P-38 was from the 1940s and the P-51 came out in the 1960s.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 12:21:05 AM by rjs987 »
/bob
2022 Kymco AK 550 Super Touring Extreme in Matte Deep Blue
RETIRED - US Navy and Air National Guard and civilian career

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2024, 01:41:14 AM »
Forgot to mention that I still have the P-38 that my dad gave me from when he was in the US Marines during WW2.
It is part of my camping kitchen gear and I use it every time I go camping for something... opening cans of chunked chicken, cutting thread for patching/sewing up torn camping gear, or other things. That blade is still really sharp.

Someplace I also have a P-51 but those were not quite as good... or maybe the P-51 I had was a cheap clone... so I keep and use the P-38. The biggest difference between the two is that the P-38 is about 1.5 inches long and the P-51 is 2 inches long. The P-38 was from the 1940s and the P-51 came out in the 1960s.

I know I've seen a couple in one of my kitchen drawers, but I use my swiss army knife, can openers in the houseware depts are junk these days
RandyO
IBA#9560

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2024, 03:06:23 PM »
great question..and some great replies, so far!

One of the oldest things I use daily is my radio (boombox) I received on my 14th birthday in 1980. I have used it daily for 43 1/2 years...and usually multiple times each day. It's my bathroom radio, turned on every time I enter the bathroom. It's been through Junior High, High School, college and all life since. I love that thing, good memories.

Not sure if furniture counts..but my bedroom dresser was my father's childhood dresser from the 1930's or early 40's, as is my bedside table. I also have a mid century modern buffet in my living room that was my parents first real piece of furniture they purchased when married in 1955.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2024, 04:58:39 PM »
Some great memories being shared on this thread.  I'm glad I asked!
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()