Author Topic: Won't Start  (Read 3203 times)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Won't Start
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2020, 12:34:10 PM »
Is there a test for the CDI and reg/rect that would show them faulty?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2020, 06:36:50 PM »

If I remember correctly I’ve seen a “how to test a CDI” video on YouTube but I never tried to do a similar test. I always carry a brand new CDI in stock just in case the CDI on my scooter packs up. The CDI’s are not that expensive and I believe all Agility owners should actually have an extra CDI in stock.

Considering the symptoms described at this thread I do not know whether the CDI test I’ve seen on YouTube will give a clear indication that any given CDI will be faulty or not. In this case the owner did get spark with the old CDI - but the engine still did not spark.
Therefore I think Agility owners should rather forget about trying a CDI test - rather keep an extra CDI in stock at all times. It can easily make life a lot easier by using it as a “plug in an play” component.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2020, 06:52:32 PM »
If I remember correctly I’ve seen a “how to test a CDI” video on YouTube but I never tried to do a similar test. I always carry a brand new CDI in stock just in case the CDI on my scooter packs up. The CDI’s are not that expensive and I believe all Agility owners should actually have an extra CDI in stock.

Considering the symptoms described at this thread I do not know whether the CDI test I’ve seen on YouTube will give a clear indication that any given CDI will be faulty or not. In this case the owner did get spark with the old CDI - but the engine still did not start..
Therefore I think Agility owners should rather forget about trying a CDI test - rather keep an extra CDI in stock at all times. It can easily make life a lot easier by using it as a “plug in an play” component.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2020, 01:02:00 AM »

found this on youtube...not so much a test as a fix..which shows that it wasn't working..?  Guy uses a heat gun to heat up the CDI..says solder joints crack inside over time and the heating it up expands them to make contact, again. I had the same problem on an old Sony tv years ago...thing had to run for about 15 minutes to heat up enough to make the solder connections and get the picture back!

2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()