Author Topic: 1st gear to 2nd gear jerk  (Read 9615 times)

viclava

• View Profile
1st gear to 2nd gear jerk
« on: March 01, 2010, 08:52:28 PM »
I have about 2500 miles on my agility and have service it at required intervals etc.  I have noticed that before I put it away this last winter, that it's jerking when shifting between what seems to be a 1st and second gear.  Is there something I should be adjusting or something?  I have one month left of my two year warranty and want to get this taken care of.  BTW, it's an 2007 model.

Thanks in advance,   ???

Scott

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: 1st gear to 2nd gear jerk
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 01:30:12 AM »
The jerking could be any one of several PROBLEMS. May be broken roller/s, clutch spring, loose clutch or variator. I would have it looked at before depending on it getting you home. There are no shifting gears in the cvt. it is a belt pulley set up that normally operates smooth as silk. If you get it sorted out please post to let us know what they find.   http://www.stadiumyamaha.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx   This page shows the workings of your cvt. Hope it helps some.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 08:24:42 PM »
Exactly the same thing is happening with my Agility125 now. Could you post what the problem turned out to be?

Thanks,
Emil

marioG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 11:22:35 AM »
it could be problem with belt/clutch, think its normal it will pass....

from time to time grease and dirt goes to clutch and belt, but if you take ur scoot to long ride and get heavy on gas pedal...lol

its gona be OK--
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2010, 06:26:12 PM »
Well, it has been around for at least the last 500kms and it seems to become worse. When I take off at the traffic light the jerk is sometimes strong enough to lift my front wheel off! And even though that's kind of cool it usually really annoys me and doesn't feel safe.
I don't really feel like spending lots of money for unnecessary parts. Or you think a cleaning might do?
-Emil

art

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2010, 07:22:54 PM »
  I didn't see the miles on your scoot but if over 5k should just replace belt and rollers if going in to clean the clutch any way. You will now have spares.  The clutch should be deglazed from time to time. Some brake cleaner and some fine sand paper should do it for ya, plus clean out the rest of the cvt area.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 07:52:20 PM »
  I didn't see the miles on your scoot but if over 5k should just replace belt and rollers

At 12.000 kms, on A125 the belt is still within factory specs (but only that) and rollers are just slightly worn in one spot.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 01:54:55 AM »
Sigh - Let's say not the belt or the weight rollers and no dirt either. Maybe the clutch spring?
I also have the feeling that the scooter accelerates a bit weaker than it used to (before the jerk kicks in). After about 20 minutes of riding it usually becomes a bit milder. When I ride the scooter at "jerk speed" - that's about 5-8mph - the Agility kind of starts jumping under my butt. Oh yes, and it reads something like 5 1/2 k kilometers now - so something like 4800 in reality...
-Emil

art

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 01:59:54 AM »
  My thoughts are if you have it all torn down to clean the clutch might as well change out all so you know where you stand plus you'll have spares.. If on a budget clean the clutch and see how it go's. Keep an eye out for broken springs and things.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 02:23:21 AM »
  Just another thought It seems kymco tried to run the same tranny in the 125, 150 and 200 I noticed the s200 did not have a well matched contra spring for its set up and the gears should be taller. The belt realy rattles around. so I put in a stiffer clutch spring and it helped, may help you guys out too.
  I did not have the same symptoms. Almost all the cvt parts are interchangable in these models. who knows what springs went in that day at the factory  ::)

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 02:28:10 AM »
Well you see the thing is, I am kind of on a budget but also hardly have any time to work on the scooter. I really have to get that thing fixed on one Sat or Sunday afternoon. So I thought a best guess from you guys would help me decide what to order (hopefully not too much). Then, with some luck, I could fix it on a weekend and ride it happily to work on Monday.

By the way clutch spring(s?). Witch part is that exactly. I couldn't find it on Stadium Yamaha. Is it those 3 springs from the part#22300 group? (The image is from Stadium Yamaha). Also, I think I once read a thread here suggesting a stronger clutch spring than original but I can't find that posting now. Do you know which one that was?

Thanks,
Emil

art

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2010, 03:06:12 AM »
  Well it's hard to say without looking at it (what you need) But the #23233 is what i'm refering to. I don't have your model so not sure which is best. Usually the white spring for your bike from malossi is a good bet. You may need nothing but de glazing the clutch and cleaning.
  To get the clutch off you will need an impact driver and a 17mm or 14mm wrench most likely. The whole job don't take to long if you have the right tools. You only need 3 or 4 bolts to hold the outer cover in place while testing.
  Got to open it up to see whats going on in there. Thats your best bet, the jerking should not be harmfull just annoying unless your getting a squeel with it than something is not right inside.

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 10:34:13 PM »
Ok, so I guess I'll start off with cleaning and a stiffer clutch spring (in the manual referred to as "driven face spring").
Maybe also the three small clutch springs? As I understand those are the ones that engage the clutch and I imagine that my problem could be that the clutch engages to early because those are worn out or one is broken. Also, if I use slightly stronger ones than original, wouldn't that get me off the traffic light faster?

Can someone please tell me which replacement springs I exactly need? Have been surfing around for a while now and can't seem to find the answer. It's a 2009 Agility125.

Thanks,
Emil

topaz6turbo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 02:38:54 AM »
Hey, I had the exact same issue, and found that if I removed the sidecover and cleaned out the dust from the belt etc, it went away! A few others had the same experience, so maybe try that first then make your changes....That said, the springs and rollers make a better ride anyway, so worth making the changes.
Holty

Emil

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 05:15:44 PM »
Thanks, I want to try my luck with cleaning this weekend.
How did you clean it? Did you remove any parts but the cover?
Can I spray brake cleaner into the clutch case or is this not a good idea?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()