Author Topic: Extended non-oil-change maintenance intervals?  (Read 1104 times)

gregspeople250

• View Profile
Extended non-oil-change maintenance intervals?
« on: May 20, 2012, 08:06:08 PM »
All,
First, I change oil at regular intervals and use synthetic which is supposed to extend intervals due to the extra-cost additive package in them.
My 2006 People 250 was purchased at ~13KM.  At that time I replaced oil, air filter, fuel filter, drive belt and rollers, coolant, installed Iridium NGK 'plug, and cleaned the oil screen and adjusted the valves.  I ride a combination of suburban streets and highways and the bike NEVER gets wet or runs in cold or hot ambient temperatures (I live in heaven... Northeast SF Bay Area).  The scoot' runs beautifully and is ridden all year long at the rate of about 4.5 KM/yr.
The Kymco service manual states that I should be adjusting valve and cleaning the oil screen, replacing the 'plug, air filter and fuel filter now, ~4KM after my last/first maintenance.  With the Iridium plug and scoot' well beyond break-in and air  and fuel filter elements lasting at least 15KM on every other vehicle I own, I think I can go to 19KM for the maintenance items called out in the service manual now (oil is fresh now).  Owning several motorbikes, I fully understand the need for more maintenance than automobiles, but the Kymco service manual seems too conservative under the conditions of use and quality of products being used.
What do you think?
Honda Elite 80 - SOLD
Yamaha Vino 125 - SOLD
Kymco People 250 - SOLD
Kymco Like 200i - SOLD
Vespa 250 GTS - SOLD
Piaggio BV350 - FUN! - SOLD
Buddy 170i - FUN! - SOLD
Honda Silverwing - SOLD
Yamaha TMAX - OUTSTANDING! - SOLD
Honda SH150 - SOLD
Yamaha SMAX - SOLD