Author Topic: American Kymco Super 8 50cc 4 stroke  (Read 13475 times)

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
Re: American Kymco Super 8 50cc 4 stroke
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2011, 10:30:29 PM »
I dont think I would buy a new variator, unless it looks worn? Must be some other problem that need fixed 1st, I just dont know what it could be ???

Valve gaps ok?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2011, 05:02:27 PM »
I dont know jack about the valve gaps... that may be a little too much for my knowledge.
I pulled the plug today and it does look a little rich, again I would post pictures but this site wont allow.

I found what a believe to be a Keihin #85 main jet that will fit my scooter on provoscooters.com
I ordered it on Friday so hopefully I will be replacing that next week and see if that helps first.

Thinking about pulling the exhaust, although most everything I read on here says there is no restriction there and dont mess with it if you dont have to.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2011, 08:14:26 PM »
If you got a manual and a feeler gauge the gaps are pretty easy to do, I just did mine for the 1st tme the other day ;D

I know what you mean tho, its a bit daunting in case you f@&k up. Yours maybe ok but on my agility the owners manual recommends checking them every 2 months.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2011, 04:52:01 PM »
How labor intensive is checking the valve gaps?
How many hours did you spend doing that, and are any special tools needed?

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2011, 05:15:01 PM »
It honestly took me maybe 30mins total and that was my 1st time doing it, I was surprised how easy it was. I had been puttng it off for ages cos I was unsure/not confident what I was doing.

You need to know what the valve gaps for your scooter are meant to be set at, mine was 0.04mm, the manual will tell you if you have one.

You just need a socket set to remove the seat and rocker cover, feeler gauge to measure the gap, and socket set to loosen the bit where you adjust the gap. You can buy a special tool to tighten and loosen the pin that makes the gap but I just used pliers, worked fine.

Sounds a lot but its honestly pretty easy if your ok on basic mechanics, read the manual or look on youtube for a vid showing it and just take your time.

Even if you just check them without changing anything, at least then you know your gaps are correct or not and you can get sokeone to do it for you if it needs it and your not happy trying?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2011, 06:58:22 PM »
Doesnt sound any worse than changing out a main jet.
Just need to get a set of feeler gages, or perhaps Ill just grab some shim from work.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2011, 07:49:33 PM »
If you just make sure you know what the gaps are meant to be 1st then its no harder than doing the main jet.

I did mine in well under a half hr and that was my 1st time. Mine was meant to be 0.04mm but one side was 0.07, the other less than 0.04. I Set them correct and it sounds nicer in there now. Even if its not that, at least you will know how to do it for the future. My manual says to check them every 2nd oil change

I feel your pain bro, hope you get somewhere soon with it, must be real annoying. Thought some more People people wiuld have offered advice, guess theres not many People owners on here?
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2011, 08:11:01 PM »
Honestly I think its closer to an Agility 50cc than a People 50cc
Wish I would have went with the 2 stroke Super 9, seems like that would have been much quicker.

Main jet should be here on Friday so hopefully Im just running rich.
Im back looking at variators again... the malossi sounds nice but seems difficult to obtain here in the USA.
Might be stuck with the polini....
I just cant see doing the no-name ebay one for $40 when I can get a Polini for $85

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2011, 10:47:15 PM »
Update....
Just got my #85 Keihin Jet to replace my #88 jet from Tapai
You could tell the quality of this jet... however the hole looked smaller than my #82 that was stock.
I figured what the heck and changed it anyways...

I was so happy to see the spedo hit 40mph I almost crashed.

Got home and decided to put the GPS on there and verify, and guess what.....

34MPH!!   YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

Im thinking of going back to the 7g rollers that were in there.... 5g Koso sliders might be a little too light.
Ill let you know the next time I feel like taking that CVT cover off

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2011, 12:20:55 AM »
You may find the 7g too heavy. You could even try 3x 7g and 3x 5g in it? That will give you the same as running all  6.5g rollers. Just space them the out same, ie 1x 7g, then 1x 5g, then 1x 7g, etc, etc.

Just put in 3 or 4 bolts on the case then go test it, that way if you need to go back in to change it after a test run its quicker to do. Once your happy fit back all the bolts.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2011, 12:34:36 AM »
Problem is the rollers I have are 7.5g and the sliders I have are 5g

Everything I have read says DO NOT MIX rollers & sliders.

Otherwise I would give that a go!

I usually only put 2 or 3 in there, but I figured I was done with it for a while.

Found a KOSO variatior on Ebay for $32.95 shipped... the sliders I have are Koso so I think Im going to go for it on Sunday when I get my Ebay Bucks

Maxblast

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2011, 09:16:43 AM »
Have read the topic and it appears to be similar to my experience.
Don't have an american Super 8 but one for the European market (Netherlands).
The specs look the same.

I could not get the speed beyond the 50km (abt 31m/h).
The scooter is brandnew and the CDI is still restricted. I only replaced the stock variator for a NCY variator with 7gr rollers.
The NCY variator comes with 3 shims and the most used setup is using 1 shim.

But no matter what I do, I can't get this scooter to run any faster than about 55 km (abt 34m/h).
I tried more shims but no luck. I tried without shims but speed goes down (should go up with less shims, but not in my case).
I tried the 6,5 gr stock rollers but also no better performance.

So there must be some kind of other restriction on it and I am trying to find out, what this is.
Would it worth a try to put 8gr rollers in it? Should I take off the airfilter and do a short testdrive?

Thanks.

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2011, 02:41:23 PM »
Dont bother... I have already done that with no improvement.
I have a performance exhaust, but I need to have it welded to a header before I can see if that improves anything.

Maxblast

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2011, 09:10:48 AM »
Thanks for the reply but it does not look very promising I guess  :(. I had already ordered the 8gr rollers so will give it a try anyway.
Every scooter engine is different they say and this stuff does not cost much so I’ll give it another try.

ianmac

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2011, 02:05:25 PM »
Honestly the best upgrade I got was going to 5g KOSO sliders

Gave me better acceleration.

I just dont know where my RPM's are now.

5g is enough to push the belt all the way up the variator
I just need to make sure Im not runnint at 10K + RPMs and going to blow my motor!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()