Author Topic: Does Kymco or any other manufacture still use the Yeager 200i engine ?  (Read 3615 times)

KymcoRockr

• View Profile
Re: Does Kymco or any other manufacture still use the Yeager 200i engine ?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2023, 12:58:26 AM »
The air-cooled small Kymcos all use variations on the Chinese GY6 base. 
Wrong. Kymco invented the engine. The Chinese "borrowed" it. PGO and SYM also use the engine.
Been riding for a very long time.
AK550
Yager 200

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Does Kymco or any other manufacture still use the Yeager 200i engine ?
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2023, 12:45:35 PM »
I've always understood it as Honda was the one who created the basic architecture of the GY6 and then the Chinese / Taiwanese companies copied and tweaked it for use and have ever since.

from Wikipedia (take it for what it's worth..)

"The GY6 engine design is a four-stroke single-cylinder in a near horizontal orientation that is used on a number of small motorcycles or scooters made in Taiwan, China, and other southeast Asian countries. It has since become a generic technology. Kymco went on to produce Honda clones such as the Pulsar (CB125), made to Honda standards, as part of their range.

24- The four stroke engine for 125cc scooters. Honda's KCW125 (the commercial name in Japan is "Spacy") was modified by Taiwan's Kwang Yang Motor Co., Ltd. (KYMCO), under Honda's consultancy, and became a standard model called the GY6 which various Taiwan makers imitated and minor-changed. Apparently, vehicles of this model were imported from Taiwan by various manufacturers and traders, and spread mainly in the southern coastal regions of China.

Source link: https://ir.ide.go.jp/?action=repository_action_common_download&item_id=40179&item_no=1&attribute_id=26&file_no=1
"
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 - work in progress

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
Kymco invented the engine. The Chinese "borrowed" it. PGO and SYM also use the engine.
Every Kymco I've owned has been made in China with either QMB39 or GY6 power, except for my most recent Sento 100 which has a genuine Kymco Taiwan SG20 engine, the same engine as used in the Kawasaki KFX ATV.  The Chinese Kymcos are much easier to maintain than the Taiwan units since the parts are cheap and plentiful. Never seen a PGO or Sym scooter, although I've heard of them.

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
Never seen a PGO or Sym scooter, although I've heard of them.

Never seen a PGO, but Sym sell very well over here in the UK.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Never seen a PGO, but Sym sell very well over here in the UK.
Looked hard at the SYM line - was really liking the SYM 200i.
We had one local 'dealer' - who had purchased a number of them (most of the line at the time) - then the financial collapse came - and he found himself stuck with them. His mechanic quit, the secretary quit, the shop closed down and he moved his stock into a new garden shed. They were pristine and very nice to look at tucked away into his shed - next to his rural HVAC company.
As bad as I wanted a SYM to be my first scooter - I finally decided to look elsewhere - some place with a mechanic, electricity, etc.!

I believe that finally a scooter shop in Columbus bought his stock. By then I was riding a LIKE200i.
Followed the SYM forum for a few yrs....

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
Bet you’d like the look of this one sold here then Stig?:

https://bikes.motobank.co.uk/blog/post-134/5da5ab2411972.jpg

Rest of the range follows the trend for lots of angles!

https://www.symuk.co.uk/model/2023-sym-jet-x-125cc-715

« Last Edit: July 03, 2023, 07:52:53 PM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Bet you’d like the look of this one sold here then Stig?:

https://bikes.motobank.co.uk/blog/post-134/5da5ab2411972.jpg

Rest of the range follows the trend for lots of angles!

https://www.symuk.co.uk/model/2023-sym-jet-x-125cc-715
I that the Fiddle?
I always thought they looked as small as a Vino and a Metropolitan......but maybe they are bigger?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Neil955i

• View Profile
I that the Fiddle?
I always thought they looked as small as a Vino and a Metropolitan......but maybe they are bigger?

Stig

Yes the 200i marketed here as the Fiddle III daft name!  On double checking, looks like it’s no longer in their model range here.   🙁
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 08:56:39 AM by Neil955i »
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()