Author Topic: temp and tuning.  (Read 4413 times)

magordon7

• View Profile
temp and tuning.
« on: July 24, 2010, 05:00:20 AM »
ok so the temp finally dropped to a reasonable degree tonight on the way home from work... quickly i realized that my scoots accell was much better than earlier... 20 degree diff made a large improvement.. i notice the scoot wasnt running as welll lately but the temp has been  above 85 even at night and 85% + humidity. it hit about 77 and was running nice... this whole time i thought something was off i guess weather had my tuning off.. how do i adjust for this?

art

• View Profile
Re: temp and tuning.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 05:21:30 AM »
The hotter it is the richer you want to run on the main jet. sometimes the humidity can counteract this if realy high. Cold and freezing has the opposite affect on your jetting(need to go leaner). I'd say you need an up jet,should be better all around. We need to know what the main jet you have is to give you a clue,if still running a stock set up an #82 to #85 should do. Just looked at some older posts if you have the pipe a #95  or more if the airbox is opened up! Don't run lean for too long will damage your motor! Got to get some jets or learn to drill soon!
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 05:36:13 AM by art »
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

magordon7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 06:03:41 AM »
i do have the air filter but its not put on yet... planning on gettin thos jets soon... i guess i should buy a kit with jet sizes 85 thru 105 or so?

buzzbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 06:18:40 AM »
Air temp sure does affect power and smoothness of my engine. I go to work in afternoon, maybe 80* and humid, return around 2AM, MUCH more humid and about 20* cooler- BIG difference in power. Acceleration is way quicker, but I am a novice at this carb- jet tuning. I just installed my Airsal 70cc kit, Tecnigas and arreche 19mm. Currently at 85 main jet- went up to 100 but would not run. Plug is still a wee bit rich, but lots of power wit the 85 jet, which leads to my next question- how many out there are running larger than a 85 jet? I went with 90, 95, and 100, with the 85 the best running. Some guys claim 100 or larger on their scooters, but like I said, not mine, with the 70cc kit.
SO, anyone have the same setup..... what are you running? ???

art

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 06:38:23 AM »
Hey magordon If you got the pipe and air #95 should be around the low end .

Bussbomb I'm running the same kit and Around a #105 If your humidity is super high that could account for some of it,but my kit would not even run when the main hit if i tried an #85 You sure it hasn't been drilled out  a #95 arreche should be closer for your bike also.  What airfilter are you running,I would suggest the k/n if not allready running one.That seems way lean to me,I.m running that in my stocker people 50

buzzbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2010, 08:06:48 AM »
Art-
 I have the stock air box with a larger silicone hose coupling the carb inlet to the air box, where I cut the hole larger to fit the hose. I port matched the stock manifold to the carb flange. Also, I removed the noise- restriction hose on top of the box, and bored a few 3/8 holes through the bottom for good measure. I am contemplating a K& N filter- how much more lean will that translate to - how much larger on the jet? It couldn't get much louder, no? :P
 I have an 85 jet which I reamed out with a torch cleaner to that size- not real accurate, I'm sure. Am gonna get a drill set to be more precise. BUT- I reamed one out to 100, and it would not run right at all. The current 85 seems pretty good. Plug (BR9HS?) is slightly black.
Also, my last tank of gas yielded 30 MPG. I am running 40:1 premix, removed the oil pump shaft. Is that about right?

Anyone?...
Bueller?......

8)

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 01:00:12 PM »
i know the air temp, humidity are ALWAYS pissing me off....DAILY, my scoot can change the way she runs....... im always thinking something else is wrong but that night or the next day itll be different again....my jet is around a .918??(made one), still a touch lean too buuuut......
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

art

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 03:45:44 PM »
I would say you are being restricted with the air box,I haven't seen one run with less than a #95. Try running the #100 with the filter cover off to get a feel for an open air box. If you are still running black on the plug I'd go back to the br8hs plug.  40 to 1 seems fair to me ran all my dirt bikes there. Go 36 if any doubts.  I was able to keep the stock oiler in line seems to be functioning fine.   30 mpg! thought mine was bad think i'm closer to 40 havn't checked in awile,may need to play with that cvt a bit to up your gearing. see what that does for you.

buzzbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 06:21:03 AM »
I would say you are being restricted with the air box,I haven't seen one run with less than a #95. Try running the #100 with the filter cover off to get a feel for an open air box. If you are still running black on the plug I'd go back to the br8hs plug.  40 to 1 seems fair to me ran all my dirt bikes there. Go 36 if any doubts.  I was able to keep the stock oiler in line seems to be functioning fine.   30 mpg! thought mine was bad think i'm closer to 40 havn't checked in awile,may need to play with that cvt a bit to up your gearing. see what that does for you.

Art-
 That sounds like a good idea- I am going to try the air box delete for a short run, with the 100 and check the plug. Maybe a BR8HSplug is OK? Everyone says use the --9-- plug, but what do I know.
 I found a K&N filter on their website that has the right size opening to fit the Arreche carb, or so it appears. I might try to get one.
 I am currently re thinking the pre mix idea- I just read so much about the possible lean mixture it might provide with the stock pump, so I opted to try pre mixing, but I might hook er back up, and just try an ounce in the tank each fill up for good measure. I am afraid I will forget to carry oil with me and not have it to mix, so maybe the pump isn't such a bad thing after all...
 My last fillup last week yielded 51 KM on 1 gallon-=30 MPG.... I thought the stock setup at around 52 MPG was unimpressive. Talk about mileage- buddy rode his Yamaha C3 112 miles last week on a poker run on 1 gallon. Goes 46MPH with only a rear tire and variator change. Not too shabby.....!

art

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 06:06:42 PM »
Your on the right track, Keep the 9 in for your test if it is still carbined up after try the 8, You seem to be getting some sub par mileage I think I was around 62 stock hmm.

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 07:16:14 PM »
that sort of mileage HAS to be an issue somewhere.(OUCH!!)........and i thought my mpg sucked , may want to find that dude.........id think the tank or carb bowl is leaking, or even dry rotted fuel line, cracked fuel filter?????.........
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

buzzbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 06:50:46 AM »
that sort of mileage HAS to be an issue somewhere.(OUCH!!)........and i thought my mpg sucked , may want to find that dude.........id think the tank or carb bowl is leaking, or even dry rotted fuel line, cracked fuel filter?????.........

Well, like I said, I am getting around 50 KM per gallon. I ride till the needle hits the red, and it takes 1 gallon to top off. This netted me 51 KM( remember the odometer is metric)- that is 30 miles. I just refilled tonight on my way home, but lost the numbers, but it is similar. This is my new setup - with the Arecche 19 mm carb- all new parts. Even with the stock parts I never got more than around 55 MPG. But, when you are always wide open, how can you not suck gas??
BTW- my scooter pulls like a freight train now- I outrun cars at the lights. Isn't that what its all about?? ;D

Anyone else post their mileage- I'm curious.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 07:14:22 AM »
It is a a bit under average,With fine tuneing you can pick up a bit more. Mine for around town in some ways was more stingy with mods because no throttle needed to do 30-35 mph. at WOT all the time still around 40 mpg. Don't know with the latest round of changes might be pushing 75+ and get better milage if i can get it dialed  ;)  Running a bit lean at the moment  and tranny all out of WAK! PS. I'm running a people 50. The 16" tires do make a difference.

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2010, 01:49:14 PM »
hmmm, maybe i need a 19mm if it pulling like that!!!..my take off is sh**!!..(cvt screwed also).......wonder if THAT could be my issue?????   ??? ??? ??? ???
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

art

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2010, 07:39:22 PM »
I posted in another thread bat You will have some options with those parts bikes if they have carbs

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()