Author Topic: BEST VARIATOR/CLUTCH BANG FOR THE BUCK!  (Read 3119 times)

Scooter Russ

• View Profile
BEST VARIATOR/CLUTCH BANG FOR THE BUCK!
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:32:34 PM »
Ok guys on my 08 agility what's the best complete variator/clutch setup I can get, I mean variator, rollers, clutch & torque spring, whole package deal? Scooter runs great on flat ground 40 to 42 depending on wind. Take offs are a little slow, scoot doesn't seem to rev real high even though I'm running a upgraded cdi. Up hills will very as to whether I'm already at cruising speed. But, normally I can hit 25 to 30 if I have a short run at hill & if I'm at speed won't get below 30.
Drive it like you stole it! Lol......

acrab78

• View Profile
Re: BEST VARIATOR/CLUTCH BANG FOR THE BUCK!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 03:36:25 AM »
If you want to put some money into it get the malossi multavar.
Maybe a new belt too if your scooter is an 08 your belt is probably worn.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 07:26:57 AM »
+1

streido

• I view speed limits as guidelines rather than laws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 08:50:58 AM »
+2 and stiffer torque spring (1000-1500rpm) with lighter rollers.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 09:28:27 AM »

After a lot of experiments with other stuff, I found the OEM variator to be the most reliable and tough one...

For extra top end I just shortened the boss, no need for a race variator here...

For better acceleration I tried different roller weights until the engine stayed within its powerband...

For better pickup after braking I found that slightly lubricating the rollers with a high temp PTFE grease (Loctite Superlube), and keeping the torquedrive lubricated as it should be, worked just as well as a stiffer torque spring, only without the added cost and loss of power !!!

For an even more stable rpm I replaced the torquedrive by a type with straight guide tracks (Malossi Torquedrive / NCY torquedrive). RPM now remains the same from right after takeoff to almost top speed... (beware : you'll need a different roller weight after this mod...)

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 09:38:25 AM »
@Scooter Russ : to me it sounds like your rollers are just a bit heavy/worn/sticky and/or your torquedrive needs some lubrication.

The CVT loses quite some performance after a while without the right maintenance, and because it changes slowly you won't really notice the difference until you've cleaned the variator and lubricated the torquedrive again...

I suspect that a large part of the improvement that people report after replacing their OEM variator by a racing one is just because of this effect...

baddi

• Top speed: 38 km/h and fuel economy: 50 km/l
    • View Profile
    • My project fuel injection gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 11:08:56 AM »

[...]
For an even more stable rpm I replaced the torquedrive by a type with straight guide tracks (Malossi Torquedrive / NCY torquedrive). RPM now remains the same from right after takeoff to almost top speed... (beware : you'll need a different roller weight after this mod...)

Did you have to go lighter or heavier rollers to keep it at the same rpm after doing this one? :)
First Kymco agility 50 (2008) 11.000+ km (dead)
Second kymco agility 50 (2010) 20.000+ km. Project Fuel Injection. Stolen.
Kymco K-pipe 125 (2014) 7400 km.

mono

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 11:44:07 AM »
Depends on the specific torquedrive : the angle (or pitch) of the guide tracks has some influence on this.

The NCY torquedrive even lets you choose between two angles, which actually differ quite a lot in their effect..

The most probable outcome is that you have to compensate for the lower rpms at lower speeds by instaling lighter rollers, but YMMV...

Anyway, these torquedrives are by far the best thing I found to get a good performance out of a variator... I simply cannot understand why Kymco lets the chinese manufacturers for the Agility stick with torquedrives with curved guide tracks, while Kymco themselves use straight tracks in the scoots that they make in Taiwan...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:52:56 AM by mono »

Scooter Russ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 02:14:27 PM »
Ok when I got scoot it had already been deresticted, smooth boss! My weights are worn some & have a few flat spots. Clutch springs And torque spring are stock. Haven't done anything to CVT other than put a 3/8 (10MM) longer than stock. Reason I did that was in hopes of getting a little now top end speed!
Drive it like you stole it! Lol......

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 04:28:56 PM »
Worn rollers and/or worn belts decrease top speed.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 04:35:35 PM »
Worn rollers and/or worn belts decrease top speed.

+ 1 on that. as mono said its so slight the decrease but after a quick service you notice a drematic change.

streido

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 08:42:44 PM »
+ 1 on that. as mono said its so slight the decrease but after a quick service you notice a drematic change.

Brand new belt and rollers can add around 5mph top end sometimes on mine.
Chaos is my co-pilot.

skippy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 09:03:24 PM »
Brand new belt and rollers can add around 5mph top end sometimes on mine.

that reminds me streido ther is a bando belt new off ebay
 (Bando Drive CVT Belt 723 18 30 Gy6 50cc scooter longcase engine 139QMB 139QMA)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()