Author Topic: Wheel change  (Read 1107 times)

yenko12345

• View Profile
Wheel change
« on: January 31, 2015, 03:40:56 AM »
I own a Visa R and recently ran into sharp glass on the road which blew both my front and rear wheels. I can't bring my bike to the mechanic and i live in a very far place which makes on call mechanics hesistant in going to my place and remove my wheels so i gotta do this on my own. I misplaced the user manual a long time ago soo i need a step by step procedure on how to remove both wheels to get them to a shop for repairs. Thanks in advance :)

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel change
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 04:42:34 AM »
Welcome to the forum Yenko. Your the first Visa r owner I know of to come here.
It's an easy job to remove the wheels. You can do it all with one adjustable wrench if you had to.

The front wheel is a slide thru axle, and the only extra parts are the speedo cable/housing, and the disc brake. The easy way is to open the cap on the brake reservoir (on the brake lever), now go to the wheel, and using a screwdriver or lever apply pressure slowly to the brake pad to move it away from the rotor. Just a tiny bit is enough.
Now put the cap back on the reservoir.You're one there

Remove the nut, and axle. The wheel will fall out with a little wiggling. On the same side as the rotor there is a metal tube spacer. That will pull out, and store it w/ the parts. On the speedo side there is no spacer. Done w/ the front

For the rear you start again w/ the brake. There is a lever attached to a rod. The lever is held on w/ a 10mm bolt thru the top. Remove that bolt, and open the slot on top w/ a screwdriver. That will loosen the lever, and allow you to pull it off toward you. Just let it flop...
Next there are chain adjusters. Mark where they are w/ a magic marker. Just so you have an idea where they are. Loosen the nut that is tight on the adjuster. Both sides are exactly the same. Once the nut is loose you can loosen the bolt that hte nut is on., and the adjusters will be clear. Now the axle... Loosen the nut, and you can now move the adjusters down out of the way
Pull out the axle, and wiggle the tire out. You have to deal w/ the chain but you'll get it. The brake drum can now pull out of the center hub.

Now this I am not sure of... Look on the opposite side of the wheel, and check if there is another tube spacer in there. Remove that so it don't get lost.

Done!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 04:45:39 AM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 05:26:10 AM »
  I have a 300i downtown , I have to take the muffler off remove the left shock to clear the tire removal, behind the muffler take off the part (bracket ) mine has 4 bolts , then remove the axel bolt,  and your wheel should come off,  get something to lift the ass end of scooter, so the wheel will drop down, I have a hoist in the garage, you may have to use a tree branch, I have used that before,  for the front axel there should be a bolt in the back of the axil bolt that locks it in,  pick up the scooter by the handel bars and the wheel comes off easy,  dont have to touch the brake pads ,  just check for wear,  on reasembly use lock tight blue on all the bolts

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 05:37:54 AM »
  PS  if you have tire changing tools do it your self , the biggest job is taking the wheel off the scooter,.  I laid the wheels on a piece of 2x4so it was not scratched,   tied zip ties around the tires tight so they would sit in the center of rim, almost comes off just pulling on tire,.  and you check for  balance by spinning the wheel when on the center stand,

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 06:10:25 AM »
Dee, His is an Asian Kymco. It's actually like a combo motorcycle, and scooter. It's a mid frame engine w/ a chain drive. Vivo refers to them as Underbones. In fact it is Kymcos new version of the Honda underbone they used to produce for Honda.

That Damn Honda word is coming up a lot here lately... SUZUKI RULES!!!

Here's one...

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 06:11:58 AM by zombie »
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()