Author Topic: "Elephant Trumpet" issue tackled: SUCCESS!  (Read 5374 times)

mr_cooper

• View Profile
Re: "Elephant Trumpet" issue tackled: SUCCESS!
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 06:57:32 AM »
Seriously? This video looks to me as if they staged the whole thing on purpose, just to get their kicks out of blowing the CVT off!
I think that the mod I did with a qualified Mechanical Engineer actually drilling the holes and giving me his blessing, is 100% safe.
Anyway, it was my clutch bell, my experience which I am sharing on a public forum where all sort of teh Xciting mech problems/issues are dealt with. One more thing: given the fact that what I did applies to a 500cc maxi scoot and, therefore, only adults are legally riding it, I take it that it is safe to assume each and everyone is free to do what they want. I am not pushing anybody into doing anything (you wrote in bold and capital letters "don't do this", so maybe they'll listen to you). Once again, my two cents: always get the whole story before jumping into conclusions. Like ahonekal pointed out, I, too, would like to see the condition the bell was in, before the stunt was being pulled.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:00:05 AM by mr_cooper »

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 07:25:00 AM »
I think that the mod I did with a qualified Mechanical Engineer actually drilling the holes and giving me his blessing, is 100% safe.

Yes, but you should have also consulted a Metallurgical Engineer. He's the one who can tell you about the characteristics of metal. Will the drilling of holes weaken the metal? how many drilled holes are considered safe? size of hole? what about the hole locations? etc... The original (no-hole) bell has certified specs of Kymco, tested and evaluated and I don't know if they concur with this drilling. Maybe you can ask them.

Anyway, thank you for this informative post.  ;)

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 11:04:33 AM »
No holes drilled that I can see? It just blew up! ??? :-*

LoveMyKymco

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 06:11:12 PM »
The fact is that you weakened the structure, and did nothing to reinforce it. I have several racing bells and every one of them is reinforced. Just posting my real world experience of a seeing first hand a home made "lightened" clutch bell blow apart at the drag strip. Has the bell been balanced on any kind of CHRA machine? At very minimal before Id risk my life or people traveling next to your vehicle get it at least on a VSR. An easy way to calculate rotational mass is here if you were interested in real world values of lightening it. Did you get a copy of his auto cad for the spacial points? Ie how many holes per distance.
http://easycalculation.com/physics/classical-physics/moment-of-inertia.php
I understand your need to feel you did the right thing and your right, but be careful with it is my 2 cents, I have seen the bad outcome but unfortunately didnt have it on film. That video I linked was a representation of what happens when a bell explodes. It isnt just the rider who is injured, remember that. Also further more, if you did have an engineer do this, he assumes liability for the part he modified. Just in case things go south its a good fact to know. That does not mean you are not held responsible for any damages, just he will share the wrath.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 06:15:38 PM by LoveMyKymco »
My 82 mph Killer Full MHR zx50 build (now 91 mph gps verified)
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=7795.0
My Fabrizi/MHR "can it cost anymore?" build
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=12146.0;topicseen

sissy mary

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2012, 01:06:11 PM »
The X500 bell is very very heavy duty, and I doubt the amount of holes he put in it will weaken it enough to blow up? But if it were me, I would go with an after market bell if I thought the honk/squeel noise was that much of a problem. They may be lighter also? And I don't think the cost is that huge for a new one either. Just my 2.5 cents! :-*

ahonekal

• Jep Jep
    • View Profile
Re: Re: "Elephant Trumpet" issue tackled: SUCCESS!
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2012, 05:47:44 AM »
Cannot find any aftermarket bell with holes in it? Can anyone helo me? :o

Vivo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 11:39:59 AM »
Cannot find any aftermarket bell with holes in it? Can anyone helo me? :o

Google...

ahonekal

• Jep Jep
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2012, 08:00:09 AM »
Google...

I know, but still cannot find, any hints?

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 08:06:16 PM »
"Elephant trumpet" ?  I'm glad you got yours fixed..

Here's my problem...

My 2012 Xciting 500 makes a noise that I can pinpoint to the variator area.  Sometimes it's very noticeable--in particular when it's hot outside (+90) AND WHEN I'm first pulling away under a heavy load.  It almost sounds like your poking a sleeping bear / or the rumbles of thunder in the distance.  The noise goes away above 4k or so and comes back when leaning into curves.  When it's really loud / hot, there's a loss of power.  I pull away from a light slower than usual.

When I had about 2k miles on it, I took it to the dealer.  They pulled the covers off of the variator and clutch housing for inspection.  They took a look at the belt and it looked brand new.  Nothing seemed to indicate anything wearing, glazed, or loose.

My dealer is going to change the belt out to see if that fixes the problem.  Mine is the only other one of all the Xcitings they've sold  over the years that does this.  Kymco authorized the belt replacement on the other person's scoot.  Acording to the dealership, Kymco had not heard of this problem.

Just an F.Y.I

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()