Author Topic: @ 6400 miles and counting...  (Read 1385 times)

desliderman

• View Profile
@ 6400 miles and counting...
« on: July 09, 2012, 09:40:49 PM »
Hello all!

Life with my Xciting 500 w/abs has been good.  I'm not exactly looking forward to the 8000 mile service, but at this rate I should be there in a month or so.

I'm going to get an estimate from the dealer for the cost of that.  What I was considering was replacing the rear tire as well.  Prior experience on other scoots has proven that I can get about 6 to 8 thousand out of a rear tire.  I know what to look for when they're approaching their service life.  Still.... how many miles have people gotten out of the stock tires?

Don in KC.

sissy mary

• View Profile
Re: @ 6400 miles and counting...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 12:49:46 PM »
8,000 is pretty good for a stock rear tire. I think I got about 14,000 on my Michelin Gold Standard, but it is not made anymore. Michelin now makes a tire that has dual compounds in it. Softer for the side treads for cornering, and harder rubber in the middle for longer wear while touring. This is the tire I will be going with next time. I normally get pretty good mileage as all I really do is tour. Stop and go really eats up the tread on these X500 beast with all the power they have. The 500 stands for 500 H.P. you know. ;) :) :D ;D :o 8) :P ::) :-*

htcneil2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 04:24:39 AM »
My yamaha tmax has a 160/60tire from dunlop that is oem. I get 13000 outof it. May try thay on yhe xciting.

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 08:24:09 PM »
I checked both front and rear tires and they are cupped.  The front cupping gives me a bit of a bumpy ride-especially between 60 and 70mph.  It's pretty much rock-solid up to that point.

I imagine, because of this cupping, I'll be changing both tires out with the 8k service.  I had a quote from the dealer of $550 (with our scooter club discounts) but that won't be as much as I thought.  In the quote was the cost of a new belt (which they told me should be changed at 10K), roller weights, and valve adjustment.

I'm going to go with some Michelins front and rear.

The valves aren't to be inspected till 16k and the belt or roller weights just need to be looked at.

At $550 I thought the work done would be a good value.  Now with this new information, I should be paying less.

Don in KC

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()