Author Topic: Speedometer stopped working  (Read 768 times)

DiscoPotato

• View Profile
Speedometer stopped working
« on: March 21, 2018, 08:57:19 AM »
Hey all, so the other day I noticed that my speedometer stopped working. Normally when you turn the key before you start the bike, the speedometer and tachometer will do a sweep. The speedo doesn't do the sweep anymore but the tach still operates like normal. Both displays illuminate... the speedo just doesn't move, even when riding. I thought maybe the ECU had a glitch from the rain we've been having recently so I disconnected the battery for 24 hours and reconnected it...made no difference. Not sure what else to do, is it possible that the gear that operates the speedometer needle took a dump? The scoot is a 2012 with 5,000 miles. Has anyone else had this problem?

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
Re: Speedometer stopped working
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 11:35:04 AM »
  It is the wire from wheel hub to the harness , look at wire above fender it is stiff and the wire at harness is flexable, that is were it breaks

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 12:59:57 PM »
Like De dee's says, the speedo is ALL electronic. That disc inside the brake disc (with all the slots punched in it) is the "tone wheel." Just below the brake caliper is the "pickup" which senses the tone wheel. The wire that comes out of that sensor is the wire that needs to be traced to the speedometer. Do what he said. Then either fix the break in the wire or plug the wire back in at the instrument cluster. The speedo function is independent of the ECU. Have fun!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

DiscoPotato

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 10:21:39 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys. I'll check the wheel speed sensor again and trace the wires back to the instrument cluster. However, wouldn't the sensor only affect the speedometer when the wheel is actually moving? The speedometer doesn't even sweep during the start up sequence which makes me think something is wrong inside the instrument cluster.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 01:36:36 PM »
Good point. Don't know. We DO know, for instance, the gas gauge DISAPPEARS when continuity is lost with the sensor. That sweep indicates a self-test or at least it does that to make us think it is a self-test.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()