Author Topic: Downtown 300 hesatates  (Read 5602 times)

henslin

• View Profile
Downtown 300 hesatates
« on: September 27, 2012, 05:09:20 PM »
I've got a brand new 300 and when you take off it hesatates around 4k rpm. it goes run,run,run,run. then smooths out the faster you go.
we've swapped out the belt and clutch and it didn't help. might be TPS? who knows . any help would be appreciated

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
Re: Downtown 300 hesatates
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 06:55:09 PM »
Are you talking about the GRR, GRR noises (causing acceleration hesitation) from the vari/clutch ?

After 5,000 miles my conclusion is the vari/clutch design needs work.   Burgman 400 accelerated smoother.

The Burgman would start doing something at 4,000 rpm, the 300 starts doing something at 5,000.   Solution is we do NOT have linear acceleration with vari/clutch ... get to 5,000 quickly ... then wait for the whoosh.

2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

henslin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 07:27:04 PM »
We swapped out the clutch/variator and belt with a brand new one off a running not hesatating 300. No change. It's definately a hesatation that the computer is telling the bike to do.

jwalz1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 07:43:47 PM »
Well, "brand new" makes me wonder how many miles.  I can tell you 1000 miles on the engine does wonders for how it behaves.  I have never really noted the rpms, but going full throttle from a stop on mine usually brings a rush up to about 10mph, then a flat spot, then a surge up to 40 mph and a steady pull after that.  I am not sure if that is what you are experiencing.  I always presumed that was normal but always felt like the flat spot was a characteristic of the transmission and not the engine. Why I presume that I don't know, I guess just because the engine sounded the same the whole time and I get a weird sensation the belt is "doing something" during the flat spot. 

Sorry that is not very technical, but having never peered into an open CVT, I can't picture what is exactly going on at all times.

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 08:08:57 PM »
need to make a clear distinction between what engine is doing vrs. avt......when i first got my 300 and more use to motorcycles i felt that the rpm read out was  was moving far far out in front of odo read......but thats just the way it works ....if brand new the only thing i can tell you is get it back to dealer......though rare for brand new scooter....the ecu may need to be reflashed....and perhaps a sensor is not responding as it should...good luck....

henslin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 08:28:34 PM »
We swapped the ecu out with a new one from a new running one. Just like the belt etc. We have 3 here. 2 new and one with 750 miles. the one in question is new with 75 miles on it and the others were and are new and never had this problem.  You can sometimes hold the brake and rev up to about 4.2k rpm and it will go rum,rum,rum,rum. with the rpms changing with the sound.

gn2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 10:14:47 PM »
You do know that you will be wrecking the clutch and/or drivebelt doing that?
The rear wheel should be able to rotate when you rev the engine.

roboscoot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »
diddo...

henslin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 03:20:17 PM »
No Duh. How bout some words of wisdom. Anybody?

jwalz1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 10:52:50 PM »
Now there is a way to get all the help you need.....

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 11:01:09 PM »
Not sure why the fanboys haven't descended on you or the chap who finds the SYM Citycom 300 seat more comfy than the Kymco People GT300i, but... good to see that the fanboys aren't completely 'round the bend, yet.

With me, they're all, "KYMCO CAN NEVER FAIL!  KYMCO CAN ONLY BE FAILED!"  :lol:

wheels

• USA, NC, Raleigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 03:21:06 PM »
I am not a mechanic.  There is a diagnostic port in the rear seat.  On other bikes there is a number code readout that should show which ECU input (sensor) is causing the issue.  

Your profile does not show what country you are in.

Have the dealer contact a regional support representative.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 03:23:40 PM by wheels »
2012  DT 300i  26K miles,  Bestem 929, Biondi w/s, LED brake/tail,turn, OEM mirrors fairing mount, removed buttstop
2015  GTi300  7K miles, Bestem 929 case, PUIG TS w/s, mirrors mounted to w/s, led DRLs in windguards
2014  Honda CTX700,  35Kmiles, many mods

Rogereh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 06:59:04 PM »
I'm having the 5000 RPM miss problem also and have my 300 at the doctors as we speak. My dealer called Kymco, at my suggestion, and Kymco was clueless as to what causes it. I explained that I've read that several people have experienced this hesitation and some got good results with changing to the CR7EIX spark plug and others with changing the ECU. Kymco told the dealer to try the plug and if that doesn't solve the problem to change the ECU. They had to order the plug. It should arrive tomorrow and they test it and let me know. If it requires another ECU that will take several days to get one in. I'll let you know how I make out.

I also asked them to try to figure out why my scooter seems to have unstable steering. I tried raising and lowering the tire pressures and also tried changing the shock settings but nothing seems to improve the sensation that the scooter seems to try to follow all the imperfections on the road surface. I was told that is normal for a ride with small tires???  All I know is that it wasn't that way until just lately and it's kind of scary to drive now. It's seems okay on new road surfaces. I know that it doesn't have the Kendra tires on it. They are MAXXISIPRO tires, which I'm told is a cheaper tire. I don't want to have to shell out for new tires already as I only have 350 miles on the scooter.

Rogereh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2012, 05:48:45 PM »
Okay, I've retrieved my 300 from the dealer. They put in the CR7EIX plug and it made no difference so they pulled a new 300 from the showroom and repeated the test run on it. It also had the very same hesitation and the Kymco told them over the phone that they have not had any other reports about this problem. So, they declared it NORMAL. But they didn't charge me for the new plug so I got that for my effort at least. They also could find no steering problem and everything was in spec. They said what I was experiencing was that the small tires on a scooter have a tendency to follow imperfections on the road surface compared to the larger tires on a motorcycle.

I took a small test ride with my wife and cannot say that there is much difference between the spark plugs. It does have a slightly different growl but it doesn't seem to have as much pep as it did with the factory plug. When I crank it open it is slower to accelerate than before, but still acceptable.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 05:54:02 PM by Rogereh »

desliderman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2012, 02:37:10 AM »
I've responded to a couple of posts in which I described this groan I had when starting out.  It would increase in pitch up to around 4k.  It was worse under load.

I have a 2012 Xciting 500 ri w/abs.  If you take the bell housing off the clutch and notice grease impregnated into the clutch discs then there's your problem.  It's probably a bad seal in the clutch assembly.

My dealer changed it out twice before the problem got fixed.  I say this because they also did it for a downtown 300 and a People GT 300 as well.

If the noise is the same as mine and you have grease on the clutch disc then be assured it's not normal.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()