Author Topic: Beware of Chapparal Motorsports!  (Read 2049 times)

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Beware of Chapparal Motorsports!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2019, 10:50:57 AM »
I'm with Neil on this one. My Honda Cub has a 30 year old front tyre on and it's certainly... an experience.

It's being swapped shortly :D
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2019, 07:17:38 PM »
I do think that using old tires can be a safety hazard.  Tires do harden with age and can develop cracks.  Does that mean that as soon as a tire gets to be 5 years old it is unsafe?  No at some age it does become an issue.  I think the OP was reasonable in bringing this up.  I think his tire will be fine to ride on but if it was a 10 year old tire I'd be much more concerned.  If I bought a bike with 10 year old tires I would most likely replace them.  If you ride where it never rains and ride very conservatively then maybe an old tire would be fine.  I do ride in the rain and push my tires fairly hard so I'm not OK with riding on a really old tire.  I generally wear out my tires within a year or two so my tires don't get old.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 11:49:00 AM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 09:53:10 AM »
I generally wear out my tires within a year or two so my tires don't get old.

And there's the target for us all K!  Just need to take care when buying fresh rubber that the stock is <3 yrs old?  Hate having to read sidewall hieroglyphics, but it's necessary.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 05:20:37 AM »
I think what should be gleaned from this post, replies, and research is that the DOT manufactured date (on uninstalled properly stored new tires) is not as important as the time installed on a vehicle exposed to load/environment. Some tires may be manufactured intermittently rather than all the time. Despite that we refer to tires as rubber modern tires contain about 28% natural rubber , 28% synthetic rubber, 28% black carbon filler, and the remaining 16% functional agents of various kinds. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/greener-tires/
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2019, 02:41:21 PM »
Vivo, and other veteran riders here, advised my to change out the Kendas on my new 2013 LIKE200I, ASAP, since I planned to work commute in all weathers on the scooter.
"NYLON" is printed on the Kenda sidewall, with the date (49th week, year 2011)
As a new rider, riding in the rain, I appreciated their advice. I installed a pair of Michelin City Grips at odometer reading 400...and love their wet grip and mileage (12,000 on rear; 15,750 & still going, on the front)
I know nylon Kendas aren't deadly...and they do last a long time, but they have next to no rain sipes.
Thinking of replacing that front CG this winter, even though it has plenty of tread remaining.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2019, 04:15:33 PM »
I think what should be gleaned from this post, replies, and research is that the DOT manufactured date (on uninstalled properly stored new tires) is not as important as the time installed on a vehicle exposed to load/environment. Some tires may be manufactured intermittently rather than all the time. Despite that we refer to tires as rubber modern tires contain about 28% natural rubber , 28% synthetic rubber, 28% black carbon filler, and the remaining 16% functional agents of various kinds. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/greener-tires/

Tires will get hard and have less traction over time even if stored indoors.  How long will it take for them to be unsafe?  That will vary depending on the tire and exact conditions it is stored in.  It will also vary depending on how and where you ride.  I think that 5 years is probably a conservative number for worst case scenarios.  I wouldn't change a tire just because it was 5 years old.

Another thing to consider is that some tires don't have much grip when new.  They will only get worse over time.  One the other hand, if you took a really good tire, say a City Grip, and let it sit in a warehouse for 5 years it would probably still grip better than some cheap but new tires.

Bottom line is that this isn't an exact science.  If you are really concerned with the grip or condition of a tire then maybe would be best to replace it just for the peace of mind as well as safety reasons. 

I put a City Grip on the front of my Super 8 that had 17,000 miles on it when I sold it.  It may have been over 5 years old at that time.  I was more concerned about the lack of tread left than the age of the tire.  I did take it very easy on wet roads but didn't want to replace it since I planned on selling the scooter.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Neil955i

• Cheshire, UK. The older I get, the faster I was...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2019, 10:40:20 AM »
I still have the OEM Kenda tyres fitted to my XT300 and whilst they were excellent performers in the late Summer / Autumn on warm-ish, dry tarmac, the onset of late Autumn & Winter has revealed a shortcoming in their grip.  On cold tarmac (low 40's) yesterday they gave notice that summer-type cornering should not be attempted this time of year!  Bit of a sphincter tightening moment as I felt the rear begin to let go.  Nothing too dramatic, but not an experience I EVER had with the Michelin-shod PCX (City Grips) at this time of year.  Can't see me holding onto the Kenda's until worn out, a matching pair of Michelin or Pirelli's on the cards for next Autumn I think.
Regards & ride safe,
Neil

Current garage:  Kymco DTX360 & Triumph Street Triple 675R
Past bikes: BSA C15. Honda S/wing (GL500). Kawasaki GPz750. BMW K100RS. Kawasaki GPZ900R. Yamaha FJ1200 x2. Sprint. Triumph Daytona 900. Kawasaki ZX-7R. T595 Daytona. Kawasaki ZX-9R x2. Triumph Daytona 955i. X-Town

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()