Author Topic: 50 cc stalled  (Read 1662 times)

jesseg010

• View Profile
50 cc stalled
« on: October 08, 2016, 09:26:32 PM »
riding the other day and suddenly loss power and won't start again. it does turn over but that's it. their is fuel getting to the carb and there is spark. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thnx.

imaginetheory

• View Profile
Re: 50 cc stalled
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 10:14:39 PM »
A couple of possibilities.

If you 100% have fuel going through and you have a good strong, consistent spark then I would be doing a compression test at this point. Which is what your issue sounds like to me from experience (I wrench on scooters for a living and hear those lines "I was riding and suddenly lost power, now it wont start" every few days) Nine times out of ten, It's due to lack of compression.

But, It could also be that while trying to restart it, you have flooded the engine.. easy enough to sort, whip the spark plug out and crank it over a few times, pop spark plug back in and see if it fires up.

But again, Compression test it. The "poor mans thumb test" is just a no no. 10psi will blow your thumb off exactly the same as 90psi will. Get a tester and see what its at.

ThehardcoreFTW

• Verstand op nul, blik op oneindig
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 10:30:25 PM »
^ Agreed, probably lack of compression. Check your head, valves and replace your piston rings.

jesseg010

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 05:49:47 PM »
thanks for the tip.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 11:25:04 AM »
More info.what year and how many miles.look for smaller thongs that might have happen.befor tearing in to the motor.

JayAre

• Jay Are
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 11:23:59 PM »
If you have low compression pull your exhaust & you can see if the valve is hung open.
My wife never asked, " can you make it go faster?" until we bought a 4 stroke Moped. My reply, "yes dear"
2013 Agility 50 de-restricted with 72cc piston & head.
2-2005 Yamaha Zuma's 50cc 2 stroke bone stock

jesseg010

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 06:50:58 PM »
and if the valve is open is that good or bad?

JayAre

• Jay Are
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 09:46:28 PM »
IF the valve is open try turning the engine over slowly with the kick starter & watch both of the valves. if the valves don't open or close it's probably the cam chain is loose or broken. If the intake valve moves but exhaust valve doesn't close it's probably stuck from carbon either on the valve stem or a chunk between the valve and the valve seat. turn the engine over until the valve is fully open & try to clean off the stem with some carb cleaner & a Q-tip or knock the chunk out. Good luck!
My wife never asked, " can you make it go faster?" until we bought a 4 stroke Moped. My reply, "yes dear"
2013 Agility 50 de-restricted with 72cc piston & head.
2-2005 Yamaha Zuma's 50cc 2 stroke bone stock

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 07:06:59 AM »
Carburetted 50cc scoots sometimes get carb ice in winter.  Fuel injected engines don't ice up.  If the carb gets iced (inside the main throat area), it will choke and die.  After 10 minutes the ice melts, and it can be started again and ridden normally.  Rarely or never happens in summer.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()