Author Topic: Drag Plow  (Read 635 times)

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
Drag Plow
« on: February 11, 2020, 05:27:13 PM »
I'm starting a new thread rather than add to my tire chain thread where this topic was first raised

basic materials for this are a bunch of PT 12ft 2x6s don't ask me how many, I don't remember, they are somehting I keep on hand for projects
2 pieces of 2" on each side angle iron, the ruggeder the better, this is a wear item
1 ten ft length of 5/16 chain  nothing special I'm using a lower grade I got at Tractor supply for 19.95
bolts & washers etc.

this plow works excellent in light fluffy snow, heavier snow, not so well, I have to add weight, I have the material to build a deck, just havent done it yet

as you can see, it's an equal lateral triangle, cutting 12fters in half is basic shape  miters are cut at 30°/60°  the vertical post in front isn't any special height, I have a couple eye hooks for bungee cords attached to chains so that when slack, they don't drag (leaned the hard way sanding one in half)

you can see the angle iron cutting edges they are attached on the vertical side with 3 lag bolts each (make sure you have good drill bits to punch bolt holes thru the angle iron)

I have it attached with a snatch hook, I adjust the angle of snow casting by attaching at a different link on the snatch hook
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
Re: Drag Plow
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 08:15:33 PM »
Thanks for the info on your drag, you got my mind going
With ideas of my own.  What would you guess the weight on that is?

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 08:42:35 PM »
my guess as is, about a hundred pounds, it needs to be heavier, I do up-end it quite a bit, a pia, get off the 450i, walk back, flip it back, then go 2 feet and the same thing happens again.  I keep my eye in my mirrors, also, keep the speed down,

as I said, I need to add the decking, it will not only weigh more, I will be able to add weights
RandyO
IBA#9560

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 11:49:50 PM »
You gettin' work out of that sxs! Nice pictures!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2020, 08:43:55 PM »
finally got off my ass and started decking the plow,  I really need to add ballast
RandyO
IBA#9560

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 06:48:25 PM »
finish product, gonna try it with just the added weight of the deck, hopefully it will weigh enuf to avoid up-ending it, if not, I'll add balllast, cement blocks at first, if that works, I'll replace the cement blocks with salted sand and use the drag dual purpose, when I sand my driveway so that I don't have to keep going back & forth to my sand pile,. one shovel full at a time
RandyO
IBA#9560

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 07:15:59 PM »
Looks good!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 07:20:26 PM »

working well as can be expected, with we'd get some light fluffy snow, all of our storms have been wet heavy snow turning to freezing rain, it doesn't cast off to the side as well as the fluffy stuff.

I haven't used it as a sand boat yet, but I will, you can see my shovel laying on the deck, it's heavy enough now that it doesn't up-end "easily", so far, I have only lifted it a little,  I suspect, with the added weight, my angle iron cutting edges will wear quicker. I'm gonna pick up more angle iron to have on hand to replace when it does wear off
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 07:38:18 PM »
Looks really good, if you have acess to a welder try laying a bead of weld along the wear edge, should be harder than the angle iron edge. I guess it depends on how easy it is to swap them out.

randyo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2020, 11:50:22 PM »
angle iron is cheap and easy to swap out,  3 - ½" grade 8 bolts on each side,  a couple 3/4" wrenches and swapped in a couple minutes

although, I've been looking for an excuse to buy a welder
RandyO
IBA#9560

poorboy1964

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 10:26:23 PM »
Randy I've played around with this a little trying to make a gravel drag out of old railroad ties but it has not worked. I like the v-nose you started with here.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()