Author Topic: 2017 700I died then started again  (Read 1407 times)

RogerL

• View Profile
2017 700I died then started again
« on: August 31, 2019, 08:13:23 PM »
I have a 2017 700i that I just took on a three hour ride and when I got back I was going to take it on a little trail behind my camper (I have a small acreage with a camper set up on it). I went a few hundred feet into the woods and it died and wouldn't restart. It cranked fine but wouldn't fire. I started to pull the cowling and seats to check the plug wire and stuff, and just when I got the cowling loose and pulled the seats off I figured I'd try starting it again and it fired right up. I drove it back out of the woods to the camper and it seems to run just fine. Anyone have any ideas why it would die like that?

airshot

• View Profile
Re: 2017 700I died then started again
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 10:32:53 PM »
First thing that comes to mind would be a vapor lock, where air gets trapped in the ful line.  Typical on really hot days.  Check all connections to be sure you dont have a loose wire somewhere.  This next idea is a stretch but I have saw where folks have excess amount of keys and the added weight causes issues with the ignition switch. Look more carefully at first two suggestions.

RogerL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 02:26:11 PM »
First thing that comes to mind would be a vapor lock, where air gets trapped in the ful line.  Typical on really hot days.  Check all connections to be sure you dont have a loose wire somewhere.  This next idea is a stretch but I have saw where folks have excess amount of keys and the added weight causes issues with the ignition switch. Look more carefully at first two suggestions.

I've driven it in hotter weather before, it was only around 75 degrees here in Minnesota yesterday. Do you think it could vapor lock at that temp, especially with efi? I did look at the connections I could see quick but they all looked good. One thing I didn't do when it happened was listen for the fuel pump with the key on. If it happens again that's what I'll do first. As far as the key weight, I only have a small plastic keychain and single key on it, so I wouldn't think that would cause an issue. I'll drive it around on the roads her today and see if it acts up again. Hopefully it was just a one-time thing but I'd hate to be out on a trail 20 miles from nowhere and have it die on me.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2019, 05:54:54 PM »
Just had a brain spasm! It may be wired like the Downtown in that the relay that runs the fuel pump also supplies power to the injector. That relay quits and everything stops and wont restart. Should show a flashy code somewhere...
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

RogerL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2019, 07:03:29 PM »
Just had a brain spasm! It may be wired like the Downtown in that the relay that runs the fuel pump also supplies power to the injector. That relay quits and everything stops and wont restart. Should show a flashy code somewhere...

No codes, but I'll try to check that as well.

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 01:57:19 PM »

I thought vapor lock was only a carb thing, one of the advantages of fuel injection
RandyO
IBA#9560

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 02:52:44 PM »
Probably right with the high pressure that efi uses, guess I am showing my age by refering to carb issues. Did talk to my auto mechanic friend and he said vapor lock can still happen, just rare do to higher fuel pressures with efi. Could also be a faulty fuel pump or bad connection.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 07:51:45 PM »
My sister-in-law had a cat that did that once.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

RogerL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 11:01:03 PM »
Just took it for a 20-ish mile run and it ran perfect the whole way. Hopefully it keeps going, but I sure hate intermittent issues like that!

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 07:05:09 AM »
check the fuel filter my scoot died the same way and started after a few moments, all it took was 1 bad batch of gas,

airshot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 02:18:13 PM »
Bad gasoline is a big problem today!  Myself and my neighbors have had numerous issues with bad gas. I typically add some Lucas fuel treatment at first sign of a problem. So far it has helped a lot....

mstparker

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 04:38:55 PM »
I usually add some Seafoam and the stabil for ethanol.

RogerL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 08:14:14 PM »
I fully agree on the bad gas thing. I only run non-ethanol but that's no guarantee that you don't get some in it once in a while. I jus took it on another 20 or so mile run and it's working great so I'm leaning towards it being some junk in the gas or something. I'll post again if it acts up!

poorboy1964

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 04:55:03 PM »
I don't know how long you've had this, but early on mine did something similar I found that the fuel line under the passenger seat was running over the seat bracket instead of under it, pinching it off once in a while

RogerL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 03:33:51 PM »
I don't know how long you've had this, but early on mine did something similar I found that the fuel line under the passenger seat was running over the seat bracket instead of under it, pinching it off once in a while

Thank you, I will check this out too!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()