Author Topic: Hand brake locking device?  (Read 1444 times)

codger78

• View Profile
Hand brake locking device?
« on: July 30, 2009, 01:30:51 AM »
Traveling through hilly areas, the one problem that I experience is momentary stops to check the map, etc. where both hands are needed.  It is difficult sometimes finding a safe roadside spot that is level enough to release the hand brakes....Does anyone know of a device that can be used to fasten over one or both of the hand brakes to keep the scooter from moving...Or what-ever?
borrowed dust

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Hand brake locking device?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 01:36:55 AM »
They sell velro straps at bicycle shops designed to hold the pump in place.  They also would probably work for your application.  I have seen people use them on bikes for that purpose. 

codger78

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 01:53:38 AM »
Say, that's a great idea.  If I can pre-attach one end of the velcro strap on the left handle some place, then I could probably wind it around and lock the brake one handed.....Maybe do it on both brakes just in case one lets loose all of a sudden....Thanks
PS....Has anyone else tried this out?
borrowed dust

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 10:09:40 AM »
Say, that's a great idea.  If I can pre-attach one end of the velcro strap on the left handle some place, then I could probably wind it around and lock the brake one handed.....Maybe do it on both brakes just in case one lets loose all of a sudden....Thanks
PS....Has anyone else tried this out?

Ebay that thing. Many quads have it as OEM thing.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

codger78

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 05:47:12 AM »
Thanks for all help.
I found that the Velcro strap (double sided, 1/2 inch by about 10 inches) works great.  I wound the entire strap tightly around the end of the left hand grip before starting on the trip and when I needed it to hold the brake securely simply unwound enough using both hands to wrap around both the grip and the brake handle holding the brake in a locked position.  It was easy and only took a moment.
I did take the time while still at home to work out the technique and do it safely.
borrowed dust

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()