Author Topic: Battery/Charging Problems  (Read 17501 times)

nonsomniac

• View Profile
Battery/Charging Problems
« on: January 05, 2011, 06:50:53 PM »
I would appreciate any advice on my problem.

I bought a used scooter (2006 Kymco People 150) that had been sitting in a garage for awhile.  I made a few short trips and then it wouldn't start.  An overnight charge at the local autoparts store and it was perfect for a few months until the battery died again.  I went and bought a new battery and it worked OK.  I found I had to charge it about once a week.

Now I might get one start out of a charged battery (battery tender jr) before it is dead again.  I can kickstart it and it will run perfectly.  If you kill the engine and try to start again it won't work.  My limited knowledge suggests a bad charging system led to the battery being drained too deeply and too often.

Does this sound right?  Any easy way to troubleshoot this?

ts1

• View Profile
Re: Battery/Charging Problems
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 07:10:56 PM »
Sounds right.

Use an amperemeter to check leakage current during ignition turned off. If there is one, pull one fuse after another to localise the circuit.

Then check the electric generator with engine running in "higher idling". Voltage should be 14.4V (for every 12V lead acid battery).
Resistance and ampere according to repair manual.

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 08:15:09 PM »
It could be your regulator rectifier.  I have had them go out on motorcycles and had the same problems that you are having.
They are expensive, so do check the voltage if you can.  It could also be a short someplace.
You will need a multimeter for this and a manual (see below).

Here is a replacement regulator rectifier:

http://www.scooterwest.com/item_details/P-PX-AC-DC-Regulator-Rectifier-12V-5-Pole/2589

It could be your generator, but let's hope not...

Here is a sweet link to a people 150 user manual, which may help you find the problem:

Kymco People 125-150 EN

And then it could be your battery, so test that yourself as mentioned in another post or have a motorcycle shop do it.

I hate electrical problems.  Good luck.

Portland Steve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 08:20:59 PM »
Ooops, ignore the link to the part for the regulator rectifier unless you have a Vespa.
Here is one for cheap:
http://www.genuinemotorcycleparts.com/parts/Kymco/People-150/

It is a pain to find parts for Kymco scooters, or at least "factory" OEM products.
It is hit or miss with some of these Asian supply companies.

Cheers

Yager E

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 09:26:33 PM »
Good advice on here. If not real familiar using a multimeter you can also set the DC volts on the meter to 20 if it has that. With the ignition "off" the battery should show around 12.6 volts or better. Keep the multimeter touching the neg and positive battery sides with the appropriate leads, then have someone turn the ignition switch to "on." If the battery voltage goes down to way below 12 like around 4 volts, its the battery.

I have had motorcycle batteries go bad in a few months. Sometimes they short out internally and won't take a charge at all. Other times a bad cell would let it work for a short time after a good charging session, then let you down when you need it shortly thereafter. I feel lucky if a well kept battery lasts 4 years on my big bikes. Then I change it anyway. Not sure how long the smaller batteries on the scooters should last, but I'll find out soon, since this is my first one.
Elliot

2010 Yager GT 200i
Proud member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Support our Troops!

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2011, 01:26:41 AM »
You can remove the battery and take it to an auto parts store. 
They will test it under load (no cost to you).
Call around first and see which are set up to test small batteries.

Scoot Safely,
New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

scootergrisen

• View Profile
    • scootergrisen
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 06:19:05 AM »
Its easy to test if the battery is being charged.
You just connect a multimeter set DC volt on the battery.

With the engine off : should be something like 12,6 volt.
With the engine running : voltage should rise to maby 14,5 volt.

If the voltage does not rise you proberly have a defective regulator, generator or loose connection.
So first check the wires from the generator to the regulator and to the battery.
If they are all ok then you could check the generator with the multimeter set to AC voltage.

Here is the wires on my Kymco Super 8 (look at picture).
Disconnect the cable like on the picture.
On my scooter i measure on the pink and yellow.
Start the engine and look if the multimeter shows some voltage.
Turn the throttle a little and the voltage should rise.
If you are able to measure some voltage the generator proberly is okay.
On my scooter i measure 46 volt at idle and 110 volt at full throttle with the connection/cable off.
(Note the if you measure with the connector on the voltage will only be something like 14 volt).

Also just after riding your scooter for some time you can try and touch the regulator. It should be alittle warm. I guess it could still be warm and defective. But if its not warm then i think its broken and you need a new one.

larks

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »
So first check the wires from the generator to the regulator and to the battery.
If they are all ok then you could check the generator with the multimeter set to AC voltage.

Here is the wires on my Kymco Super 8 (look at picture).
Disconnect the cable like on the picture.
On my scooter i measure on the pink and yellow.
Start the engine and look if the multimeter shows some voltage.
Turn the throttle a little and the voltage should rise.
If you are able to measure some voltage the generator proberly is okay.
On my scooter i measure 46 volt at idle and 110 volt at full throttle with the connection/cable off.
(Note the if you measure with the connector on the voltage will only be something like 14 volt).

Hi Scootergrisen,

Tried this on my People 150. I have 3 wires coming off the gennie, a white, yellow, and blue going to a white plastic box coupling like yours. However, unlike yours, my bike will not run if I disconnect coupling. So with the wires connected and bike running I probed the yellow and white and get 4-10 vac depending on amount of rpm's. Not reving excessively high.

I tried the resistance tests on regulator in manual and results not what should be but I don't trust manual.

* So does this indicate anything to you in general?

* Any clue why mine does not run disconnected and yours does?

* Does your phrase " measuring with the connector on" (where you get only 14 vac) mean measuring with the wires connected as I had to do?

Anyone else that has done this please chip in, of course. Many thanks.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 06:08:59 PM by larks »

scootergrisen

• View Profile
    • scootergrisen
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 09:58:38 AM »
If engine dont run with stator connector removed its proberly a AC CDI that gets its electricity from the stator.
My scooter is DC CDI and it gets the electricity from the battery.

larks

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 09:07:58 PM »
Nope, it's definately a dc cdi. So a mystery here. Left a post on "people 150 charging info" 8/3 as to how a proper 150 performs.

Viscerator

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 09:26:38 AM »
Hi,
I have a problem with my battery i think, when i was out on my scooter, all the electric worked fine, but 2 minutes after i went to use my indicators, and they didnt work, all the electrics went off. I tried turning my scooter on and off, but no luck. The battery and CDI box have been changed a couple of months ago.
Has anyone got any idea what it could be?
Thanks, Bill

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 01:33:05 PM »

Viscerator

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 05:28:57 PM »
Year, make, model, engine?
Year: 2009
Make : Kymco
Model : Super 8
Engine: 50 cc 4 stroke

conkistador75

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 02:34:49 PM »
Until now se not a correct answer for the problem. Nobody find really this charging problem? Also wen it's running the lights go out after 1 second change all electrical parts and the problem still there.

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2019, 07:32:52 PM »
Old thread Conk, but you should probably note what model & year ya have there regardless.
Far as lights going dim.  On my S200 if I was idling at a stop they'd drop to save energy.  They'd stay bright enough to be seen, but not really to ride fast.  They'd brighten up immediately on take off.
There's a specific circuit for that, I thought it was kinda nifty after I did a bit of reading & found out it was designed that way.
Of course if ya don't have that then there may be something more afoot.  I do know on some cheaper bikes they just don't produce enough juice for full power lights at idle.
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()