Author Topic: Wont stop cranking  (Read 3021 times)

MrXT

• View Profile
Wont stop cranking
« on: April 01, 2016, 08:51:18 PM »
Once again I got back from shopping and i turned my engine off but the bike kept cranking. I felt something was off with the bike the whole trip back it was making an odd clicking sound all the way home and when I shut off the bike it kept trying to start until the battery drained before I could disconnect it.

I paid a garage to fix this issue so they obviously didn't replace anything. I'm assuming this is the starter solenoid? So I should replace this right?
Kymco agility city 125cc (2013)
4000km

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Wont stop cranking
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 09:42:59 PM »
I would agree with your conclusion about the start solenoid/relay. It got welded closed on the previous start and the starter spun all the way home. How's your battery? Low volts can do this and crummy aftermarket relays can weld easily.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

MrXT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 06:10:12 AM »
I would agree with your conclusion about the start solenoid/relay. It got welded closed on the previous start and the starter spun all the way home. How's your battery? Low volts can do this and crummy aftermarket relays can weld easily.

Karl

The battery the first time this happened about 2 months ago was totally dead maybe 3 volts when I finally unhooked it. Somehow it came back to life with my reconditioning charger right back up to 12.8 volts. Right now its at 11.4 volts so should be recoverable again I'll just plug it in and wait for the new solenoid to come. But now that iv bought the solenoid I'm worried maybe the starter button is stuck. Guess I'll have to wait and see, hopefully I'll have her running again soon as I use her everyday.

In the meantime I'll charge up the battery and try a test on the solenoid by smacking it and see if that fixes it temp.
4000km

MrXT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 05:36:33 PM »
It worked, fixing the solenoid fixed it right up. Hopefully this topic will help anyone with a similer symptom.
4000km

MrXT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 10:33:49 PM »
Well it happened again this time at work. Turned the ignition off but the engine kept trying to crank with it off, this time I learned and turned the engine back on while I unscrewed the battery terminals to disconnect the battery.

What could this be if not the starter solenoid which I just replaced????
4000km

tortoise

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 11:06:03 PM »
What could this be if not the starter solenoid which I just replaced?
May be time to reference a wiring diagram and find the electrical gremlin short using a multi-meter continuity function.

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 09:53:53 PM »
I went throu 2 solinoids,  new one was bad too,  sh>t  happens,   like new light bulb good for 1 sec. or ten years,.

MrXT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 12:04:47 AM »
I went throu 2 solinoids,  new one was bad too,  sh>t  happens,   like new light bulb good for 1 sec. or ten years,.

I'd have to be the unluckiest bastard on the planet to have 2 solenoids fail including a new one given how basic and simple their construction is. Surely something else must be causing the solenoid to stick, a faulty starter motor perhaps?

The problem still exists iv just gotten around it for the time being by only using the kick start up to now.
4000km

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 04:26:17 AM »
My cranking issues went away when I fitted an  original kymco solenoid.
There is  also  a starter relay,  and the actual starter switch.
The suggestion of  a short definitely needs to be checked out.
I don't know if the starter motor itself can malfunction in that it runs continously, but unlikely. Other underlying causes would result in that in  my opinion.

Let us know what you find.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 with Tapatalk

2010 Kymco Xciting 500Ri-Dark Blue

MrXT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 05:36:17 AM »
My cranking issues went away when I fitted an  original kymco solenoid.
There is  also  a starter relay,  and the actual starter switch.
The suggestion of  a short definitely needs to be checked out.
I don't know if the starter motor itself can malfunction in that it runs continously, but unlikely. Other underlying causes would result in that in  my opinion.

Let us know what you find.

I thought a starter solenoid is a starter relay, just another name for it.

Iv been told by some scooter/motorcycle people on another forum that if there was a short the brake light would be on constantly.

One thing they suggested is a possibility that the starter motor is feeding too many amps to the starter solenoid which is causing it to overheat and stick.

I can't investigate shorts anyway as I can't get the plastics for the agility city off and there's no guide anywhere I can see, just vague descriptions and no pictures that don't help at all.

Where can I get an official kymco agility solenoid from?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 05:37:48 AM by MrXT »
4000km

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 07:21:06 AM »
I had  a long  answer has just vanished, so  here is  short answer (sorry for abruptness)
www.cyclepedia.com
Try them for  a manual.
Chinese  solenoids are junk. I had 2.
Original solenoid at kymco agent only. Probable eBay too.
Relay not the same as solenoid.
Relay probably under front panel.
Good luck

« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 07:31:31 AM by xsel777 »

MrXT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 09:04:46 PM »
Replaced the Chinese solenoid with a kymco people 200 solenoid and although the wire was much shorter and I had to turn the solenoid around to fit it this seems to have worked as it hasn't stuck since I fitted it 2 days ago. Also wrong shape for the rubber holder but I stuck double sided tape inside to keep it in place and all seems good so far.
4000km

xsel777

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 02:29:31 PM »
Great news

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()