Author Topic: got another Super 9 LC  (Read 9725 times)

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
got another Super 9 LC
« on: July 21, 2015, 02:34:29 AM »
One came up on CL local to me, a 2005 Super 9 LC, I couldn't resist it.  Doesn't run and been laid down a few times, so plastic not the best, but looks OK.  My 2003 is red/ black too, so now I have twins.

Have some ?'s.  1st, all the oil drained out of the tank into the engine, and a fair amount ended up in the muffler too.  The oil pump seems to be closing OK, I guess piston was just right in the cylinder to create a vacuum to suck oil out of the tank?  Oil in muffler got there from some fool trying to start it after it already had a quart of oil in the engine?  Was a little scary to buy it, cause I noticed right away it didn't have any oil in the tank, someone running it without oil was a possibility.  No worries, after I got it home, I pulled the muffler and looked up the exhaust port, looks like brand new.  Made a big mess in the drive way when the oil came out Lols.

I am wondering if I have a problem or it's common for the engine to fill with oil after sitting in a garage for 2 years?  I suspect it's OK.

Another problem, I broke the auto bystarter pulling on it too hard to remove from the carb, carb is very gunked up.  I was surprised it broke, my previous experience was it came out OK, but not this one.  Lost the needle and spring too, so I probably need a new one.

But, I have an idea for a cheap fix.  Why not seal off the orifice allowing gas into the carb until the auto bystarter closes?  All the auto bystarter does is allow a little extra gas into the carb throat and then as it warms up, it closes it off.  I have to manual choke my other Kymco scooters with OEM carbs (People 50 2T and Super 9 LC) to get them started anyway.  They won't draw gas because of the pesky auto petcock.  I just wrap a plastic bag around the pod air filter to seal off the air, and kick it a few times, starts easy.  Just wondering if anyone else has set-up the OEM carb to work without the auto bystarter?

My 2003 Super 9 LC is running like a champ, rode it a couple of hours after dark, very nice temps at night, during the day not so nice, 100+.  Cheers

1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
Re: got another Super 9 LC
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 01:09:38 PM »
My 05 acts as if it has oil settle in it just overnight. Good find, nonetheless. Unless you got robbed like I did on my TGB.
Amish sasquatch has some manual choke cables for sale if you go that route. Otherwise it wouldn't hurt to try it if you can fashion something that's able to be undone. Hell, I'm not sure if my choke is even working anymore. It almost seems as if it doesn't ever go up these days.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

mclark999

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 04:40:15 PM »
You can get a manual choke delivered for under $20 and would be a lot easier than putting a bag around the air cleaner to start it.  I really don't like the automatic choke on my People.   Never realized that the hard starting was caused by the auto petcock.  I may put a fuel cut off valve and fuel filter on and bypass that. 

Just have to remember to turn it off when I shut the bike off. 
Denver, Colorado, USA 5,300 Feet Elevation

2007 Kymco People 50 2T
Tecnigas Trek exhaust
OEM variator with 6 gram rollers
OEM 16mm carburetor

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 03:42:57 AM »
Got it running, not good yet, but appears to be complete and ready for inspection.  TX, requires liability insurance, inspection, registration, and motorcycle license.

I bypassed the auto bystarter, by blocking the end of the siphon tube that goes to the bottom of the bowl.  I used a small amount of solder and pressed it into place with a small rod from the top.  Then, I installed the broken auto bystarter to the carb as usual.  Appears to work very well.  Starts normal for me, always have to manual choke my other Kymco scooters to get them started, unless they are already warm.  I think the ethanol in the gas maybe messes up the auto petcock?  If I find another auto bystarter, I think I can reverse the work around easy and put it back as before.

Came with OEM exhaust and I like it OK, has nice crisp sound.  I will probably get another Tecnigas Next-R pipe.  Actually, while I am installing the BBK on my People 50 2T, I will probably put the Tecnigas Next-R pipe I have on it on the 05 Super 9 to test.

Already I have installed aftermarket pod air filter, and re-jetted the carb (102 main, 40 slow jet).  Probably too rich, but I am still testing to make sure nothing is off before I run it hard.  The oil pump is suspect because it filled the engine and muffler with oil.  The water pump looks like it had some discharge from the weep hole that looks suspect.  Plus, the coolant seems to run hotter than my other 03 Super 9 LC.  I already changed out the coolant with fresh 50/50 anti-freeze.

I noticed my 05 Super 9 apparently doesn't have hi-beam lights, just one setting, no hi-low switch.  Anyone else with 05 Super 9 have the same head lights?  One big plus, the tach on this scooter works!  The tach on my 03 Super 9 doesn't work, and I really don't know how to trouble shoot it.  Cheers

1st and 2nd usually have an unfair advantage.  3rd is usually the best, can learn the most from.  paraphrased from Don Quixote, over 400 years ago, still true today

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 07:51:09 PM »
I have the 05, just the simple headlight. No switch. Wish it had both.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 10:39:50 PM »
Triesandluth, thanks for reply , now I know nothing was swapped out incorrectly.  My 05 People 50 2T has the best lights, 03 S9 OK, I can tell this 05 is not going to be great for night riding.  You should see the lights on my son-n-law's Honda PCX 150, lights up road like auto, very impressive compared to how Kymco does.

Took 05 S9 it out for long ride today.  Was smoking really bad, thought it was getting too much oil.  I completely filled the oil tank so I could check the level as I rode.  As I checked it, determined wasn't using excessive oil.  I even backed off the amount of oil being metered a little.  I finally figured out it just had a lot of oil in the muffler that needed to be burned out, took a couple hours, now it doesn't smoke anymore, yea small victory.

This 05 is in better shape than my 03.  Actually, it runs great, doesn't really need anything, especially after I installed the aftermarket pod air filter and up jetted the carb.  CVT is working as it should, CDI was already de-restricted, runs like a champ.  Tires even look OK, my 03 tires were dry rotted, so I replaced them.

I really like the tach, can see I am in the red just a little at 80k/ 50mph, 8000rev's.

I guess I got lucky again, all 3 of my used Kymco's have been good ones.  Cheers

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 11:51:39 PM »
I wouldn't fret about 8000rpm. You'll probably be able to run it to almost ten of you put the tecnigas on it.
Your oil in the cylinder bit, I can't home to try to work on my TGB that's been sitting. I noticed oil like substance has been leaking beneath it but I thought it was from the carb or something. Come to find that my cylinder was also filled with oil. Turned it over without the plug to get a surprise shower. Kind of par for the course, how today has went for me

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 12:11:49 AM »
Good score on the bike, though. Glad it's all working out for you. I'm still eyeballing the one on Craigslist here that he hasn't budged on the price for eight months lol

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 03:55:02 PM »
Let him sit on it through summer, come fall it will be worth less, if he still has it.  If he sells it, you can buy it from the new guy later for less.  I don't like to buy unless good deal, too many scooters out there, just wait for good deal, it will come.  Of course, if gas prices go high, scooters will be worth a lot more IMO.  Cheers

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
Would you mind sharing what you paid?

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 04:54:47 PM »
I sent you pm, cheers

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2015, 02:00:39 AM »
My 05 S9 doesn't run that well anymore, maybe never did.  It's OK at WOT, but doesn't like slow speeds, acts like it's starving for gas.  As I recall, maybe didn't have this issue after I 1st got it to run, then developed it, and is getting worse.

At 1st, I thought it was carb, so I ordered larger slow jet (45) and installed it, but didn't fix the problem.  Then, I cleaned the entire carb, but that didn't make any difference either, maybe ran worse.  Then I checked the fuel filter, and seemed to be OK.

Next, I checked the carb float.  Not real sure how to set the float.  Manual says should be 8.6mm height, but not sure where to measure from, plus the bottom of the float is not flat.  Float did appear to be twisted slightly, so one side was different measurement than other side.  Anyone have experience setting the float height?, is it critical?  I adjusted the height and leveled it side to side.  Got dark, so will try the new float setting tomorrow, but don't expect any improvement.

Next, guess I will start swapping parts from one S9 to the other to see if I can find the problem.

Any comments welcomed.  Cheers

Raindrop586

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2015, 05:21:52 PM »
Sounds like your air/fuel screw dude . at least try this warm scoot up . then set idle kida high not crazy high kinda high . then turn fuel screw all the way in . bike will die if you leave in . turn it to 1 turn out to start then chill 5 sec then half turn .chill 5 sec . do. This to you hear bike run smooth . then turn idle down to your preference. Give it a spin . if it bogs at top end turn open a lil 1/4 turn now . if bogs at low close it . try this out

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2015, 06:45:39 PM »
Thanks for reply Rain, but don't think it's air screw, wish it was that simple.  I have played with air screw and doesn't seem to make the difference.  I was thinking too lean, but now I think maybe too rich, so will try turning out air screw more.

I leveled the float a little and seemed to help, but still have problem.  Starts up nice, idles nice, but will not run if give a little gas, bogs, if give a lot of gas takes off and runs normal.  Next, I think I will adjust the the float a little more to raise the level of gas in the bowl, seems to be pretty critical to get the height right, we will see.

I have OEM exhaust on it and may try Tecnigas NextR on it.  Will be a pain, because have to take it off People 50 2T.  My People 50 2T and S9 both have Tecnigas pipes with aftermarket pod airfilters and run great.  I think maybe possible aftermarket pod airfilter and larger jets may be messing it up with OEM pipe, but don't know?, probably not.

chaz35

• old guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2015, 08:03:02 PM »
OK, I did go out and try the air screw adjustment some more and Rain was right.

1st I turned it out from approx 1.5 turns I had it at, and made it worse.  Then, I turned it in, which helped.  Have it set at 1/4 turn out and seems to be acceptable.  I still want to adjust the float level, but I am tired of messing with it for now.

Will take it for nice long ride, then put Tecnigas pipe on it.  Cheers

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()