Author Topic: PHBG installatin help please  (Read 18712 times)

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
Re: PHBG installatin help please
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2015, 12:00:53 PM »
Ok thanks. Dellorto dirrect has everything, but they charge too much in shipping :(  Anyother places?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2015, 03:27:48 PM »
Yep, solved mine with a 45 pilot.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Try a 40-42. That will most likely get you balanced.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2015, 03:29:03 PM »
Bengi at treatland.com
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2015, 04:42:10 PM »
Dellorto direct they do charge higher for shipping but last time I got my stuff in TWO DAYS!!!! Also, just order anything you think you might want, jets, needles, the AU setup and it will still be the same shipping just get it all at once. Treatland is really good too tho, they are fast. Hey Z, I'll be building my Polini motor on my Zuma in a week, getting parts on Monday, any chance you feel like loaning out the pressure tester for a short while?
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2015, 08:08:29 PM »
The little embossed triangle on the piston top faces down to the exhaust correct?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2015, 08:56:56 PM »
The little embossed triangle on the piston top faces down to the exhaust correct?

Correct!!!
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2015, 09:36:13 PM »
Seems odd since the open ports of the piston skirt are opposite of that. Id figure the open section wowoulpass over the exhaust outlet. Anyway, im having a difficult time getting the bime to start.  If looking at the front/intake of tbe carb, the downward bung n the left spits fuel out of the intake if blown into. Air is also felt on the opposite downward bung. The bottom of the fuel petcock is attached to the bung on the carb outlet side/manifold inlet. Fuel is to the front of the carb, and the oil injection line is on the lower right bung that was capped by the factory. The choke is closed as I dont have a means to open it yet, but I figure this shouldnt matter since its a cold engine. ( or do I have that. Bass ackwards?)

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2015, 12:26:18 PM »
.. :-\ bike no starting. :-\... The Squatch is getting frustrated.  Maybe ill install the airbox and see how that works.  Since the choke is spring loaded, how on earth do I pull the choke, squeeze the brake lever and hit the starter button? 

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2015, 03:31:57 PM »
.. :- bike no starting. :-... The Squatch is getting frustrated.  Maybe ill install the airbox and see how that works.  Since the choke is spring loaded, how on earth do I pull the choke, squeeze the brake lever and hit the starter button?
Kick it, like a real man! Or like me since my starter is weak AF.  Seriously though. I've never used one so I'm wasting your time there...
Since you just put the new kit, you may consider running the old, and guaranteed working, carb. One upgrade at a time to make sure they're good always seems like a smart approach.
You won't be able to really tune the carb until after you break in the kit some anyhow. I waited a few days of slow running before putting in and figuring out the new variator.
Just advice!

Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2015, 01:38:16 PM »
Thanks. That is typically my approach but no can-do this time. I had to hack and modify my stock manifold in order to mount the new carb. I also had to hack the stock carb top to remove the throttle cable to be used with the new carb.  I tried kick starting it but still nothing.  Any pics of PHBG's installed on S9's? Im not sure my hose routing is 100%

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2015, 04:56:50 PM »
Thanks. That is typically my approach but no can-do this time. I had to hack and modify my stock manifold in order to mount the new carb. I also had to hack the stock carb top to remove the throttle cable to be used with the new carb.  I tried kick starting it but still nothing.  Any pics of PHBG's installed on S9's? Im not sure my hose routing is 100%
Bummer! I made sure to not completely destroy the cap for the stock carb when removing the throttle cable, which turned out to be a good thing since the nineteen arreche didn't want to work at first. Major bummer on hacking up the intake... If at any point you need the cap to run the stock carb, I would gladly loan it to you.
I'll ask my buddy that has really went nuts on modding his super nine what type of carb he has. If it is similar I'll get him to send me pics. Maybe you could post a pic of your setup at the moment.
Have you searched scooter invasion forums yet? Hell, if you can get with Josh there he would be a great deal of help.

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2015, 06:45:56 PM »
Thanks fot the suggestions. I joined scooter invasion a few weeks ago as suggested in another thread/post. The site has cool S9 info but seems to be very slow in trafthread/post .The carb cap had to be destroyed was it was a sweged fitting type with no othe means to remove the cable.  Today I took the head off the cylinder just to verify the V was pointing down to the exhaust. Does the choke cable need pulled open when starting or left closed? I also noticed the spark plug was wet. Ill check again to verify its origin as fuel or oil. Also I have left the oil injection alone for the moment as its cable operated and I can always adjust it to stay partly open if needs be.

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2015, 09:29:46 PM »
Change that plug! That may be a reason. I keep one in my box just in case I get throttle happy trying to start it. On more than one occasion I've had to swap the plug because I accidentally soaked it.
After changing the plug, just turn it over with no throttle, after a moment it should at least try to fire. The oil that you used while installing the piston makes the first start a little hard, at least it does for me. Depending on the temp you're in the carb may not be fully useful, my opinion. Pulled will be open, cold choke. I'd try it closed to try to at least catch fire without flooding the plug.
I may be wrong on a lot of this, but that's what I would try.
I actually got my bike to start the first time I put a kit on it with the piston upside down, but it ran like crap and risked snapping a ring.
I ran my new kit with the oil cable adjusted a little more open than normal, plus a small cap of oil in the tank just for good measure. I've recently adjusted the cable back to regular, trying to solve my excessive smoke and rough morning starts, and decreased the amount of oil I put in the tank, but I also like to risk it lol.
How do you have the carb set up? The screw out about two turns until you get it started I would assume.
With all the mods on the intake you're sure there's no leaks?

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2015, 09:34:01 PM »
This is the cut I did to remove my cable from the cap, saw it on YouTube. Definitely saved my hide.
Damn, that thing is dirty...

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2015, 11:48:50 PM »
Nope not sure about leaks. Im pretty sure there are no leaks on the manifold or coupler. Most starts have been choke closed. Ive tried starting with 2x. Plugs known to be good. I have not made any adjustments to the carb as I thought they are setup in a basic running tune from the factory??  I might try swapping a couple hoses around and see if theres any change. I do notice a large change in tone when I try cranking with the throttle open vs closed.... especially with the velocity stack installed. Might try the stock air box too.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()