Author Topic: To manual choke or not to manual choke, that is the question  (Read 5705 times)

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
Im looking to upgrade the carb in my 07 AC. Ive narrowed my options to two possible offerings from Dellorto. The first being a manual choke PHBG 19 DS black and the other being a PHVA12 19mm auto-choke. My questions are what are the pros and cons to converting to manual choke or staying with an auto-choke system. I would also be interested in any reviews of either of these carbs from those who my have used/are using them. Lastly do either of these carburetors have provisions for oil injection or will I have to start adding oil to the gas tank? Thanks in advance.

Triesandluth

• Getting it, a mile per hour at a time
    • View Profile
Re: To manual choke or not to manual choke, that is the question
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 12:47:27 PM »
I was just told the day before yesterday to get the black 19mm. He said it's not too hard to dial in and that the black coating has less resistance for the fuel to flow.  The last part may be bs,  but it sounds good lol.  I'm trying to decide if that'll be my next upgrade or not.  I'm already tired of trying to get this arreche carb dialed in. 
Almost...at...speed...limit... Aww, brake lights..

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 01:13:44 PM »
Great! Thats promising. I think the fellow you spoke too might be refering to the fact that black coating possibly being smoother then the normal uncoated metal, possibly provinding a smoother flow. FYI Too smooth of a surface is actually a bad thing as there is not enough turbulant surface for the fuel vapor to attomize fully and forms micro sied droplets. I highly doubt this would be the case with these carbs. Im just passing on some knowledge here ;)

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 03:19:17 PM »
I have the black 19mm Dell on my zuma and it kicks ass. BTW the inside isn't black, it's just painted back on the outside. But title has quick release main jet cap, and quick release slide cap making for easy adjustment. It takes funny jets so make sure to order some from jetsrus.com. Also read the moped wiki about tuning, search "phbg tuning" on Google.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 03:20:16 PM »
Oh ps manual choke works great, you can use it to help dial in the carb. If you put the choke on and the bike runs faster then it's lean.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 03:55:28 PM »
Sounds great. The link you give was nice but I didnt see a listing for Dellorto carb jets :\

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 04:43:09 PM »
Sounds great. The link you give was nice but I didnt see a listing for Dellorto carb jets :\

Shoot man, sorry about that. I forgot I got my Dellorto Jets from Drowsports.com they sell multi packs like 70-98. Sorry about that!

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 05:20:31 PM »
Cool site. Thanks!

Scootsuper9

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 11:06:04 AM »
Go for the malossi phbg carb kit comes with everything (including cArb) for dellorto 19mm phbg cart kit and jetting worked great for stock airbox. Plus jets are very easy to find if your going for an open air filter. Unfortunately it isn't painted :( but still looks nasty ;)

TheAmishSasquatch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 12:02:27 PM »
Thanks for the reply. Would you recommend stock air box or using a foam/cloth type pod filter?  Does anyone here have a velocity stack installed? I was thinking of using one of those instead.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2015, 03:10:37 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Would you recommend stock air box or using a foam/cloth type pod filter?  Does anyone here have a velocity stack installed? I was thinking of using one of those instead.

You'll want to run with the stock airbox, it'll run better.

Scootsuper9

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 11:17:04 AM »
Ya, but the uni I got on mine makes it sound like a beast. I've gotten many complements and the uni filter holds up in the rain, looks nice and are pretty common on super 9's. However, the airbox is quieter and if modded can allow the same amount of air as the uni

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 11:51:18 PM »
I kinda want to open the box up more, but I don't want to ruin something like that.  It does sound boss with an open filter.  It's a daily struggle to keep from getting one lol

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 11:56:43 PM »
I kinda want to open the box up more, but I don't want to ruin something like that.  It does sound boss with an open filter.  It's a daily struggle to keep from getting one lol

It does sound cooler I'll give you that. But all you'll be doing is going with a 10-15% larger main jet and making a lot of noise and getting less MPG for the same performance as a slightly opened up stock airbox.

Triesandluth

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 12:04:21 AM »
I'm already getting rather lousy mileage.  What exactly would you recommend to open up the box more?  I've already opened it up more under the body where the snorkel connected. I'd like to keep it as waterproof as possible. I ride it in every condition

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()