Author Topic: Is it a faulty Starter Relay ?  (Read 361 times)

carvets

• View Profile
Is it a faulty Starter Relay ?
« on: November 23, 2021, 04:07:18 AM »
Hi , i have a 2009 People 150 , the other day it wouldnt start , nothing , completely  dead . Battery is showing 12.36V on my mutlimeter . I watched a Youtube vid on the electrical start system and using a  test light its showing current coming from the start button and the brake lever  but there is no light when the test light is connected to the postive Starter relay post and a suitable ground ( neg battery terminal ).  And it wont start if i use a screwdriver to connect the two relay posts.  So i figured it needs a new Relay and one is on the way.  If you can see anything else i need to check please let me know. 

My question though is about my blinkers . When i kickstart the scoot she fires up and electrics work , horn, lights etc but when i hit the blinkers they dont flash like normal . They sound really weird sometimes , sometimes making no ticking noise and sometimes ticking really fast , and the lights seem to co-ordinate with the ticking sound , making it unnerving to ride not being sure if the blinkers are actually working. Is this something one might expect with a faulty starter relay or should i be looking elsewhere ?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Is it a faulty Starter Relay ?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 03:09:01 PM »
It is not the relay if you get nothing by shorting the two big posts with a screwdriver. The fact you have other electrical symptoms tells me you have a bad ground.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

carvets

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 10:20:28 PM »
It is not the relay if you get nothing by shorting the two big posts with a screwdriver. The fact you have other electrical symptoms tells me you have a bad ground.

Interesting , so even if it's a faulty relay it should still start if you short it ?  :'(...guess i'll have to start looking for that . Any tips on where one might start ?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 10:25:11 PM by carvets »

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 11:07:19 PM »

Interesting , so even if it's a faulty relay it should still start if you short it ?  :'(...guess i'll have to start looking for that . Any tips on where one might start ?
Yes.
1. Both battery connections: clean, good and tight (no movement, not broken bolt tight)
2. Follow fat black wire from battery negative (-) to the ground point (usually machine right on frame) clean, good and tight (not broken bolt tight)

You will have to remove rear bodywork to get to these connections. To do that you have to remove the seat and the tub below.
Each of these connections must be unbolted, cleaned and inspected. Also inspect where the terminals are crimped on the heavy wires. Get a basic multimeter if you do not yet have one.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

carvets

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 05:18:02 AM »
Yes.
1. Both battery connections: clean, good and tight (no movement, not broken bolt tight)
2. Follow fat black wire from battery negative (-) to the ground point (usually machine right on frame) clean, good and tight (not broken bolt tight)

You will have to remove rear bodywork to get to these connections. To do that you have to remove the seat and the tub below.
Each of these connections must be unbolted, cleaned and inspected. Also inspect where the terminals are crimped on the heavy wires. Get a basic multimeter if you do not yet have one.

I had ordered a new battery just in case , when i took the old one out this morning there was a lot of corrosion on the neg terminal , like a lot , so i cleaned it up and put the new battery in , kick started it and  it went fine and the blinkers are now acting normal . I also  shorted the starter relay with a screw driver and it started right up , so starter motor is fine . Im hoping it's just the relay now as that should come tomorrow . I guess all the corrosion on the neg battery may have been causing the bad ground and , not knowing electricals at all , i'm guessing it cause the relay to malfunction.     Thanks for your help .

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 01:29:01 PM »
I had ordered a new battery just in case , when i took the old one out this morning there was a lot of corrosion on the neg terminal , like a lot , so i cleaned it up and put the new battery in , kick started it and  it went fine and the blinkers are now acting normal . I also  shorted the starter relay with a screw driver and it started right up , so starter motor is fine . Im hoping it's just the relay now as that should come tomorrow . I guess all the corrosion on the neg battery may have been causing the bad ground and , not knowing electricals at all , i'm guessing it cause the relay to malfunction.     Thanks for your help .
It would have helped at the beginning to have known there was corrosion on the negative terminal....
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()