Author Topic: Transmission oil and brake fluid.  (Read 1877 times)

carvets

• View Profile
Transmission oil and brake fluid.
« on: October 28, 2016, 06:38:52 AM »
Hi ,  When i bought my second hand  People 150 I went to the local bike shop and asked for oil to do the service and asked about what Transmission oil to use . She recommended a 15W /50 synthetic for the motor and said that the remainder of the 1 lt bottle would do for the transmission.  That was 4000 km's ago and i have just completed my 3rd service yesterday. However i have been looking online and there seems to be some suggestion that this is not what i should be putting in the transmission but rather , as the manual states , a 90 SAE  gear oil ......any thoughts ?  Also the brake fluid looks just ok for now , but the book doesnt say where to fill it and what to fill it with . Can it just be topped up or is it better to be bled and new fluid put in ? ....Thanks .

Forbes1964

• View Profile
Re: Transmission oil and brake fluid.
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 06:54:32 AM »
I'd recommend putting the proper oil in the rear end. It's unlikely that any damage was done so far. But I wouldn't press my luck.
Some brands such as the Yamaha Majesty do  use motor oil in the rear end. But Kymco uses the much heavier rear end oil.
As for brake fluid, I believe they recommend dot4 brake fluid. Topping off is ok if the fluid is still clean and not too old. . But if unsure as the age and quality, I'd flush it by bleeding the system.
2009 Xciting 250

Mr. Paul

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 09:39:52 AM »
I'd recommend putting the proper oil in the rear end. It's unlikely that any damage was done so far. But I wouldn't press my luck.
Some brands such as the Yamaha Majesty do  use motor oil in the rear end. But Kymco uses the much heavier rear end oil.
As for brake fluid, I believe they recommend dot4 brake fluid. Topping off is ok if the fluid is still clean and not too old. . But if unsure as the age and quality, I'd flush it by bleeding the system.

++++1
2009 Kymco People 150
1993 Honda Helix

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 10:56:05 AM »
Yep.
I'd  put in the 90 weight tranny oil and DOT4 brake fluid from a new bottle only.
Stig
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 02:46:09 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

carvets

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 11:56:02 AM »

Thanks all,...i'll get me some 90 tomorrow to be on the safe side .  But where is the brake fluid entry point and was the bike shop woman completely wrong telling me to use the same oil in both or is it acceptable practice ?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 02:54:39 PM »

Thanks all,...i'll get me some 90 tomorrow to be on the safe side .  But where is the brake fluid entry point and was the bike shop woman completely wrong telling me to use the same oil in both or is it acceptable practice ?

Brake fluid reservoirs (2) are boxes at the other end of your brake levers. There will be a small clear window through which you can observe the level and color of your fluid in ea. reservoir. (new fluid is light amber - old fluid is darker) Might have to look in there with flash light alongside your brake levers to see the window.  Your owner's manual will show you where to look.

Depending on your scooter - these reservoirs will be in the open or covered by plastic panel. On the PEOPLE I believe they are hidden under the plastic panel over the handlebars. Once you remove the plastic panels, two screws hold down the lids of the reservoirs.
Careful not to siphon/suck off too much fluid and expose the drain hole in the bottom of reservoir - air can enter the brake lines there.
To refresh the entire brake fluid system please see some youtube videos on this procedure. ("bleeding scooter or motorcycle brakes") But you will need access to the reservoirs in order to add new fluid.
Stig
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 03:08:31 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

carvets

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 09:58:51 PM »

Depending on your scooter - these reservoirs will be in the open or covered by plastic panel. On the PEOPLE I believe they are hidden under the plastic panel over the handlebars. Once you remove the plastic panels, two screws hold down the lids of the reservoirs.
Careful not to siphon/suck off too much fluid and expose the drain hole in the bottom of reservoir - air can enter the brake lines there.
To refresh the entire brake fluid system please see some youtube videos on this procedure. ("bleeding scooter or motorcycle brakes") But you will need access to the reservoirs in order to add new fluid.
Stig

Thank you .  :D

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 04:53:00 AM »

It's possible that she was basing her erroneous information on her knowledge of another brand of scooter. When I had my Majesty, I was surprised to find that the gearbox took the same oil as the engine. That's why reading the manufacturers specs is crucial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 11:41:49 AM »
It's possible that she was basing her erroneous information on her knowledge of another brand of scooter. When I had my Majesty, I was surprised to find that the gearbox took the same oil as the engine. That's why reading the manufacturers specs is crucial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep,
Burgman 400 same deal....
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()