Author Topic: New to Forum and Scooters  (Read 7140 times)

Lucasan

• View Profile
Re: New to Forum and Scooters
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2012, 10:43:04 AM »
Today it started on the 1st try every time so that's good news. I won't be able to track my mileage until we get the new instrument cluster put in but we're down to a half tank so I'm guessing that we've put around 35-40 miles on it. At one point I drove around 50 mph for about 30 seconds. Felt fine, no issues with stability or anything. I'm avoiding driving it hard during the break in period, as the overwhelming majority of what I've heard is that taking it a little easier during this period will ensure better performance in the future.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 12:24:21 AM »
Sounds like it's going to be a love affair for the ages. Once you get the bugs out, and get used to the quirks it will be a great joy in your life. I've cursed mine a few times but will never look back. I love scooters. It's sort of like flying feet first.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Lucasan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 04:16:05 PM »
So during the break-in period my girlfriend has to drive to work. Her commute includes stretches where she has to go at least 50mph to stay with traffic. I'm wondering how much of a detriment this will be to the engine. I guess if worse came to worse, I could just have her take our car to work while the scoot is properly broken in. What do you guys think?

MaryK

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »
After about the first 100 miles, I would not have a problem with 5 minute stretches at those speeds.
Just be sure that the engine oil level is good.

It is the full-throttle for 15 minutes that should be avoided.

scoot safely,

New Rider in 2010

2009 GrandVista 250

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 10:02:48 PM »
Agreed. It's long hi rpm runs that ruin the seal of the rings. If she has made this commute a few times already I would extend the break in to around 200-250 miles. If the rings do not seat right they will leak, and the scoot will always perform poorly.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

Lucasan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 01:32:20 AM »
Thanks for the responses guys. I didn't know that about the rings. Zombie, do you mean 200-250 on top of the recommended 600? I've already decided to have her hold off on commuting with the bike until it's broken in. Went for a very long 35 mile ride today going no faster than 40mph. Varied the throttle. Stopped at a lot of lights so I felt it went well. Zombie's explanation of the rings was the only technical info I've gotten so far and that has been from here and the Modern Buddy forums. I wish this forum was as active as the MB one. Seems there should be just as many Kymco enthusiasts as Buddy.

ckgonska

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 03:52:11 AM »
How many miles do you have on it?  It took about 500 miles to break mine in.

Lucasan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 04:57:18 AM »
How many miles do you have on it?  It took about 500 miles to break mine in.

Ha funny you should ask that because ours was delivered with a broken odometer! We are having it replaced next week. I would estimate that we've used just over a full tank so maybe 80 miles? Does it ride much differently when you hit that mileage marker?

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 06:51:53 AM »
600 miles is a real safe zone for break in on a scooter. It really only takes a short while to properly seat the rings. The idea is to wear the outer ring edge into the bore. There are micro scratches in the bore (cross hatch) and the purpose is to wear the rings into an air tight seal. Gases go BEHIND the ring, and force it out onto the cylinder wall making that seal. If you just hammer the bike from new the gases will force over the seal side preventing "break in" and causing "blow by" for the life of the ring set. This causes carbon to build on the sides of the piston slowing down the rpm, and creating excess heat in the jug. I use 250 as my "target" break in. around 100 miles the rings will get quiet, and the rest is really just polishing.
Further down the road if you need fresh rings the seating is almost immediate. A fresh hone, new rings, and 50-100 miles is done.

ckgonska

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2012, 01:47:06 AM »
It seems to be getting smother all the time. Riding to work on it now. It's a blast. Just got the plate for it today. I was surprised when it was over $90.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()