Author Topic: First Service - Valve clearance check needed?  (Read 3373 times)

clarksib9

• View Profile
First Service - Valve clearance check needed?
« on: May 19, 2011, 02:38:12 PM »
Hey All!

Time for the first service.  The dealer I got my scoot from is seriously lacking in the customer service dept.  Horror stories all around about him.  Unfortunately I did not know this when I bought the scoot, guess I am too trustworthy.

Anyways, he was including first service with my purchase for 'free'.  I do not want him to work on this bike and have found a great dealer in town to work on it instead.

Question is, they say the valve clearance check will take about an hour labor which is $70 in addition to the half hour for oil/gear oil change.

The scoot seams to be running great (knock on wood)

Do I have them go ahead and check valve clearance or is it something that can wait?

Thanks in advance!

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
Re: First Service - Valve clearance check needed?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 03:33:43 PM »
I believe the service manual calls for a valve check at the first service, and that's probably
true for most (if not all) of the bikes.

Mine needed one valve adjusted, and was also running fine before and after the adjustment.
They tend to set the valves a certain way in a factory and you'd want them to be checked,
especially on a air cooled bike where valves can get out of spec more often.

I needed an adjustment at 10.000kms again.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

clarksib9

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 04:03:22 PM »
^ Thanks!

marioG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 06:02:57 PM »
<iframe width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/s0K-ytyjOFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

docjones

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 10:58:56 PM »
My girlfriends Agility 125 has over 11,500 kilometers on it and never had a valve adjustment. It runs great. I bought my A 125 with 6500 kilometers on it, don't know if it had a valve adjustment or not and it runs great too. Do some more checking on here and I think you will find most people say they don't need one. You might need to have it checked to keep the warranty valid, but I think the dealer just wants your money. Either way you will enjoy you Agility for many, many miles/kilometers.
09 Agility 125

Cortez

• View Profile
    • My flickr account
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 03:44:09 PM »
My girlfriends Agility 125 has over 11,500 kilometers on it and never had a valve adjustment. It runs great. --------------
 You might need to have it checked to keep the warranty valid, but I think the dealer just wants your money. Either way you will enjoy you Agility for many, many miles/kilometers.

Mine ran great too but needed the adjustment anyways.
It's very common that new engines need an adjustment after a short period of time,
like most other mechanical stuff, and some are even set in a certain way for break-in etc.
Wasn't the money issue since I don't have to pay for work on my scoot.
'08 FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: 2003 Peugeot Speedfight2 LC, 2007 Kawasaki ER-6F ABS, 2006 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS,

marioG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 10:18:50 AM »
only for warranty...
at least every 20k....when u hear knocking or picking at idle....

at least u can check it ur self - youtube - pretty easy......
FUBAR is an acronym that commonly means "f***ed up beyond all recognition/any repair".

2010Iron883

• My 2010 Iron 883
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 02:45:40 PM »
Not every engine is the same. . It can be the exact same bike but every engine is different. There is going to be some that never need anything and then there will be some of them that does need adjusting. IMO i believe its all in the way the engine was assembled and broke in. i break my enines in pretty moderatly. I dont baby them!! Sorry Just my 2 cents.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()