Author Topic: your opinion needed -please  (Read 1116 times)

Tony3

• View Profile
your opinion needed -please
« on: December 21, 2015, 11:58:12 PM »
I already own a People 300 and put a very large highway windshield on it.  Very fine machine with the 16" tires.  I also have owned an Xciting 500 with "mixed" results, mostly trying to start it on cold days... A local dealer has a new Like 200 (2014) for $1899 / $2150 out the door. I have several questions.  Is that a good deal? I noticed where it's made, is there any quality issue?  Should I buy an extended warranty? Costs? Can I cruise, with comfort, up to about 60 MPH?  I'm not interested in any Interstate with the Like 200, mostly 30 mph to 55+ mph.  It feels so different than the People 300.  It looks like a fun scoot for sure !  It's much lighter, lower, 12" tires and more of the "true"scooter looks.  Thank you for your opinion.
Tony             

skipper20

• View Profile
Re: your opinion needed -please
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 03:14:12 AM »
I already own a People 300 and put a very large highway windshield on it.  Very fine machine with the 16" tires.  I also have owned an Xciting 500 with "mixed" results, mostly trying to start it on cold days... A local dealer has a new Like 200 (2014) for $1899 / $2150 out the door. I have several questions.  Is that a good deal? I noticed where it's made, is there any quality issue?  Should I buy an extended warranty? Costs? Can I cruise, with comfort, up to about 60 MPH?  I'm not interested in any Interstate with the Like 200, mostly 30 mph to 55+ mph.  It feels so different than the People 300.  It looks like a fun scoot for sure !  It's much lighter, lower, 12" tires and more of the "true"scooter looks.  Thank you for your opinion.
Tony           

It's a good choice. The OTD price is hard to beat especially since you'll be getting full warranty coverage. If you're 5' 10" or taller the stock seat will be the only negative (its cross-wise ridge separating driver from passenger will cut into your butt) but if you've already sat on a Like 200i, you're not complaining so that's a plus. Yes, it is a nice retro design. The front half is decidedly Vespaish whereas the back half looks classic Lambretta. I've had my 2013 up to 55 indicated with a bit of throttle left so depending on your height and weight, 60 mph seems realistic. And, with a lot of stop and go city traffic, I'm averaging 68 mpg. I don't think you'll be disappointed. So far, i'm very happy with mine.

Bill in Seattle
2013 Like 200i Red   :)

Vintage MX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 07:29:57 PM »
 If you have a few weeks to wait, you can make a much better deal on a very low mileage used one through eBay or Cycle Trader.   Resale value is low on these so you should be able to pick one up with under 2000 miles for $1,000 to $1,500. I've done that twice in the last two years.
2011 Like 200i, 2002 KTM 200 EXC and a garage full of 1970s Motocrossers and Trials Bikes.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2015, 10:38:21 PM »
That's a very good price. .... fully s thousand less than I paid two years sgo.
No need for an extended warranty. ...two years is great, especially if you have broken the scooter in properly.
I can cruise at 50= 55mph. Scooter will not cruise at 60, which would be like putting a brick on your car's accelerator....not a good idea. Too light...too short wheelbase...too small wheels. Used should still have transferable warranty. ...but treatment history will be unknown. Fun and very easy scooter to DIY service. Save your 300 for the 60 cruising.
Chinese yes...but I don't care. ...it is a very solid scooter.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 03:18:36 AM »
The price seems a good deal. I paid over a $1,000 more new for a 2012. Some minor warranty work done. They included 2 batteries replaced in the first year and a seal behind the variator replaced. Definetly tighten all bolts and nuts at each oil change. I had several go missing. Some of the plastic broke over the years, but easily repaired. The scooter for me rides best from 25 to 55 mph. All-in-all a great scooter for the money. I have averaged 80 MPG. The original tires work great on dry pavement and wear like iron. I have nearly 12,000 miles on them. As mentioned the seating is best for those under 5'10", but can be remedied with a DIY project or having it professional done.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()