Author Topic: Super 8 150 vs. Agility 125 vs. Yamaha Zuma???  (Read 1131 times)

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
Super 8 150 vs. Agility 125 vs. Yamaha Zuma???
« on: July 13, 2020, 04:54:42 PM »
OK, guys, so after getting my UXV 450 and following this forum for the past year, I've gotten intrigued by the idea of a scooter. I don't really see myself as a motorcycle guy and not interested in cross-country or even cross-state road trips. However, a small-ish scooter would be pretty handy around here. I live five miles outside our small town, and it would be just fine for running local errands and even using it in the summertime to scoot over to the local farms where I hunt to check my trail cameras and such. Plus, of course, it would probably be a lot of fun!

Looking over my options, I quickly came to the conclusion that a 50cc is too small. I need to be able to go at least 50 mph when needed for short stretches on more heavily traveled roads. Something in the 125-150 range seems about right. I also live at the top of a steep hill, so want something with adequate power and also the ability to carry a passenger occasionally, such taking the wife to the local ice cream stand or even running one of my kids into town.

Since there is so much experience on this board, I am curious as to what everyone's thoughts are regarding the Agility 125 vs. the Super 8 150. How much real difference in size, power and features are there between the two? Also, in looking at scooters offered by the "major" manufacturers, the only thing comparable would be a Yamaha Zuma. Looks like a nice machine, but at about twice the price of the Kymcos. Still, curious as to whether anyone on this forum has ever had opportunity to compare between them.

Thanks all for for the input!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Re: Super 8 150 vs. Agility 125 vs. Yamaha Zuma???
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2020, 06:54:15 PM »
I have no experience with the Super 8 and Zuma and can actually only comment about the Agility 125.

In our country a 125cc scooter or motorcycle is only allowed to carry one person legally. I am not sure about laws in your country, but while you are thinking of commuting with a passenger maybe this is something you need to be aware about.

I really enjoy the Agilty. A couple of features I think would make the Agility even better are:
1. Better seat (I’m slightly too tall for the bulge at the center of my Agility’s seat).
2. Better leg protection (front panels too narrow to protect against rain and wind).
3. Bigger fuel tank
4. Bigger than the 12 inch wheels (riding with bigger wheels would be less bumpy and even safer).
5. Rear drum brake (disc brake would be WAY better).

That’s about it. I saw some reviews and photos of Super 8 150 models and some year models seem to have 14 inch wheels and other models have 12 inch wheels. The front steering column panels seem to be wider than the Agility’s panels - so I think the Super 8 should offer better leg protection.

If you have a choice between 12 and 14 inch wheels on Super 8 models,  I think a Super 8 with 14 inch wheels should be a better choice.
The Super 8 150 might just offer an extra pony to get a bit faster on top of the hill - but maybe you should compare the different scooter’s weight to consider whether the few extra engine cc will make any difference.

As mentioned, I have no knowledge about the Zuma’s.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 09:30:33 PM »
Thanks for the input! You mentioned some things I would never have thought about. I certainly wouldn't anticipate riding much in the rain, but I guess sometimes you get caught by a storm and it's nice to have a little protection!

One nice thing about the Super 8 is it has a rear seat portion for the passenger that can also be lifted upright into a backrest for a single driver. So, I think that's a nice upgrade.

As you mentioned, a slightly larger engine is nice. Also a little more clearance between the wheel and fender in the front. Kymco seems to market the Super 8 as a bit of an "all-terrain" scooter. I highly doubt you could do much off-roading on it, but at least being able to get along some farm lanes and such in my area would be a bonus.

I will for sure check on the tire sizes and see if there is a difference between the Agility 125 and the Super 8s sold here in the States. Thanks again!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 09:34:14 PM »
Just checked the tire situation. The Agility 125 and the Super 8 150 have the same exact tires -- 12-inchers front and rear.
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

ldersch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 11:15:27 PM »
I can't speak about those other models, but I love my Super 150, especially that folding back seat. I had an Agility 50 with that same backseat for 6 years, but when my work changed locations and I was traveling on faster roads I definitely wanted to upgrade to the same type, and the Super 150 was perfect. Again, can't speak for the difference between 125 and 150, but from 50 to 150 is a whole other world, and a better one. Safer too when you can keep up with traffic. States vary, but here in MA the scoot needs to be registered as a motorcycle, complete with the motorcycle test for a new drivers license. A passenger is definitely allowed.
Kymco 2018 Super 8 150cc

pa-outdoorsman

• Pennsylvania
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 12:07:04 AM »
I can't speak about those other models, but I love my Super 150, especially that folding back seat. I had an Agility 50 with that same backseat for 6 years, but when my work changed locations and I was traveling on faster roads I definitely wanted to upgrade to the same type, and the Super 150 was perfect. Again, can't speak for the difference between 125 and 150, but from 50 to 150 is a whole other world, and a better one. Safer too when you can keep up with traffic. States vary, but here in MA the scoot needs to be registered as a motorcycle, complete with the motorcycle test for a new drivers license. A passenger is definitely allowed.

Thanks for the input! I definitely think a 50cc would be a little scary once you get out of a town or neighborhood, as far as not being able to hold your own with other traffic. As for laws, down here in PA it is pretty much the same. Anything 50cc or under is considered a moped and can be driven on the roads without a motorcycle license. However, anything over 50cc is considered a motorcycle and has to be registered/licensed accordingly. However, my understanding is that as long as you have a regular driver's license here, you can apply for a motorcycle learner's permit and get it instantly. That gives you some time to ride your new bike as you learn the ropes and before you take the motorcycle exam.

Anyway, a bit off topic, but thanks again for your input. I do wonder how much difference there is between an Agility 125 and a Super 8 150. Honestly, the price difference is not that great, and just for that seat alone, it might be worth it!
2018 Kymco UXV 450i
2021 Honda ADV 150

TBR125

• East Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 01:02:40 AM »
I have the agility 125 and it is really on the small end of the scale for anything outside of town. I believe the 150 crosses the line into a good commute machine. I ride the Agility 40 miles round trip daily and It is a little hard on the bike.
Become the best you can with what you have.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()