Author Topic: Almost backed over a pedestrian  (Read 1635 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Almost backed over a pedestrian
« on: November 18, 2016, 02:37:49 PM »
...on a scooter!!
Swung around a double-parked delivery truck & spotted my primo parking spot beside his cab.. Pulled over to the curb and started backing into the parking space when two ladies stepped off the sidewalk into my path.
Afterwards, wondered how the officer would have written up that incident.
Had my earplugs in...but pretty certain one of the gals gave me a solute of some sort. Sounded French, maybe.
Stig
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 07:40:15 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

GLV55

• View Profile
Re: Almost backed over a pedestrian
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 05:23:04 PM »
I hate that this has become a country where pedestrians think they have the right to walk anywhere, anytime, and everyone should stop the world so they can walk where ever they want. How about personal responsibility for one's own safety? When I was a kid, if you wanted to cross a street, you waited for the traffic to clear or you just took your life into your own hands and played a real-life version of "Frogger". Bunch of whiny wimps nowadays.  ;)
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 05:45:37 PM »
You should have saluted back. 😉

To aid in backing up your scooter, you need to install a reversing camera with those depths grids and radar sensors on the rear fender. Oh and side sensors for alerting you of cross traffic as well as arrows that light up on the side mirrors cautioning you which direction they are approaching from.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 07:20:59 PM »
Two of my coffee village 'street people' buddies saw the whole thing from across  the street.
Their testimony  on my behalf would have been ...interesting.
Both of them hallucinate, but one says it's a viscous  lie perpetuated by the other. There are 3 arms and 3 eyes between the two of them...but both sport really Biblical beards and robes of some sort mixed with Army garb. (Don't  know how they ride their bikes to town without tangling the laundry in the spokes) One now sports the hi vis, 3 M vest I  gave him. Think Moses ATGATT.
The trial would have been a hoot.
Oh well...
Stig
PS: I  need to practice backing that dumb 500 pound Burgman quickly in traffic situations.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 07:35:58 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 08:28:28 PM »
 ;D

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 10:17:12 PM »
It’s hard to say why people have such poor situational awareness. I’ve seen too many people cross streets without looking, earphone plugged in while they walk ahead. Even if they notice the car/bike honking at them after hitting their brake, it’s returned with a summoned look of annoyance.

I know some states have pedestrian right-of-way laws, but that still won’t stop a multi-ton car from running you over.

- Wolf

Kymsec99

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 03:20:33 PM »
I honestly think that some pedestrians don't feel the need to be aware of vehicles in some situations. Its like, because we are operating a vehicle, the onus is all on us to avoid them, even when their actions can make things more difficult.
Here in the UK, the Highway Code book is for pestrians aswell as vehicles, but you never hear of them reading it!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2016, 04:51:42 PM »
Well, it boils down to some people, Wolf, who have not had the fortune to have experienced the so loving experience of  a Drill Instructor yell at them to get their "head out of their a$$!" This is something I want to yell at the people with their nose inna phone all the time.

Karl
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2016, 06:57:43 PM »
I think it's ironic that it's a cellphone world. People walking with cellphones think the cars should see and notice them forget that the people driving their car and looking at their cellphone's too.

- Wolf

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2016, 11:39:52 PM »
Well, it boils down to some people, Wolf, who have not had the fortune to have experienced the so loving experience of  a Drill Instructor yell at them to get their "head out of their a$$!" This is something I want to yell at the people with their nose inna phone all the time.

Karl
While driving in the car with my wife, I came upon a lady texting. She half sat through two stop lights, and was wandering in her lane. I laid on my horn for a l o n g time as I followed her to alert everyone that she was coming. (my wife slunk below the dash at my behavior) I had ridden my scooter down the same streets just hour before.
I thought about following her and taking a picture of her when she stopped. Wife said no.
But I sure as heck would have pointed her out to a cop if I'd seen one.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Scooter Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2016, 01:51:11 PM »
Tom, maybe time for that outrigger trike kit with backup warning sounds like the garbage trucks have.
2003 Honda Silverwing ABS
2005 Kymco Bet and Win 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()