Author Topic: Dies very easily when letting out clutch & low torque.  (Read 5347 times)

ChaosMagnum

• View Profile
Dies very easily when letting out clutch & low torque.
« on: June 14, 2014, 11:20:12 PM »
Hi there I bought an 08 Venox last year.  I'm guessing its been sitting for quite some time because the Odometer only read 25km.  The issue i've been having with it is that it seems to be very weak when starting from a stop.  I have to ride the clutch for a good 3 seconds to get going, otherwise it'll just bog down/die.  It feels like it revs up from idle a little slow as well.  I'm wondering on what some possibilities are for this problem.

I just checked out the carburetors and they look good n' clean.  I'm planning on checking out the plugs.  But I can't imagine they're bad since the bike has such low miles.  Same goes for the air filter.  Any other suggestions on what I can test out?

Thanks!

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
Re: Dies very easily when letting out clutch & low torque.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 12:24:29 AM »
The bike has never been broken in according to what you posted. That means it is still tight.

Have you ever owned a clutched bike before? It takes at least 2-3 seconds to release the clutch, and get under power on every bike I have been on.

You will have to go thru the entire bike if it has sat. These are not light switches that come on at the well... flip of a switch.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

ChaosMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 04:56:24 AM »
I apologize.  I forgot to mention that it now has around 3300km on it.  And it still feels a little sluggish starting from a stand still.  And yes I have other clutched bikes.  Honda Valkyrie and a Honda rebel.  I know the valkyrie is in a totally different league, but the rebel even seems to rev up and get off the line fairly easily and quickly compared to the venox. 

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 07:21:05 PM »
The first thing I would do is a Compression test. See what you get there. It should read over 120 psi to be in good enough shape to go further. It could be the valves are out of adjustment... or the carbs out of sync... or lots of other maybe's.

Compression test it first.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 07:39:58 PM »
WAIT! 08 bike... if it had the same air filter since than that is expired! its paper, does not matter how much km, 2 years on a fresh one will be good to throw out! possible running too rich and miss fire on one cylinder due to a old obstructed air filter... your plugs should tell you if that is true. running rich on low rpm will be like this too but my best guess you are only running on one cylinder in idle.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 09:41:32 PM »
Lot's of maybe's on this... Good Idea max to check the plugs.

ChaosMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 02:23:53 AM »
Alright I'll give the compression test a shot.  I've already synced the carbs.  Seemed to help a little but not much.  I'll let y'all know what I find out

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 03:19:46 AM »
My money is on a valve adjustment. The problem could be anywhere but we'll figure it out w/ you.

ChaosMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 04:47:19 AM »
Well I checked the compression.  Tested out good.  Checked the plugs.  They looked fine.  I guess I should probably order a new air filter.  I will check out the valve clearances possibly tomorrow if i get the chance.  Thanks all for your support on this ^.^

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 12:52:08 PM »
 ;)

ChaosMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 09:21:27 PM »
Ok will I checked the valve clearances.   They were a little tight.  So I got that squared away.  Although the bike is doing a weird thing now.  When I burp the throttle the revs drop super low then slowly climb back up

max oradea

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 11:09:35 PM »
just let me know... did you change the air filter yet?
And carbs being clean... did you open it up and clean every orifice with carb cleaner and compressed air?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:11:39 PM by max oradea »

ChaosMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 10:04:09 PM »
didnt do the filter yet.  Looking for a replacement right now.  And I didn't use compressed air for the carbs, but I did use carb cleaner

zombie

• You never know do ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 11:41:23 PM »
Try pullin off the plug wires one at a time (while the bike is running). That will tell you if both cylinders are firing correctly. I'd turn the idle up to 1600 ish, and see if the rpm drop when you pull either plug.
I would also get a new set of plugs, and run the bike for a few minutes to compare the plugs, and see if one cylinder is flooding or too lean

ChaosMagnum

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 12:15:01 AM »
I did try the plug wire test.  it pretty much wanted to die when I pulled either one of the plugs.  So i'm guessing they are both firing.  The plugs look fine too.  No excess fouling or burning.  I have one question though.  I just pulled the carbs again because I feel I didn't do a good enough cleaning job the first time.  But why is it that they put a 110 main jet in the front and a 108 main jet in the back??  I would think the cylinder in the back should have the 110 since it would run hotter than the front cylinder o.o 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 12:25:41 AM by ChaosMagnum »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()