Author Topic: tire replacement  (Read 8488 times)

zevsdad

• View Profile
tire replacement
« on: December 17, 2014, 03:32:36 PM »
Hello!

I have a 2012  with about 7500 miles on it. the tires are looking a little worn-especially the rear tire where the tread is almost completely gone. I thought I felt a little slip today when I made a sharp right turn. Is it time to replace the tires? And if so-how?

Thanks in advance!

p.s will provide pics if needed

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
Re: tire replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 04:02:54 PM »
Hello!

I have a 2012  with about 7500 miles on it. the tires are looking a little worn-especially the rear tire where the tread is almost completely gone. I thought I felt a little slip today when I made a sharp right turn. Is it time to replace the tires? And if so-how?

Thanks in advance!

p.s will provide pics if needed

Yeah you need new tires, if you look closely there are little wear bars in-between the tread, you prolly wore those down if there's no tread left. You can use the penny trick, if you can see Lincoln's head the tread is dead. If its actually "bald" that's a major safety issue. Changing it is easy, the hardest part is taking all the bits off to get to the wheel. Exhaust, shock, caliper, swingarm etc. At this point if you get the wheel off most shops will change it off the bike for about 15 minutes shop time, some will do it for free if you buy the tire from them. If your planning on doing it at home, you will almost for sure need an air compressor to pop the tire on the bead, i don't have one at home and will sometimes walk it down to the gas station to pop the bead on. If you're lucky a bike pump will get it but usually not. Also you'll want a nice set of metal 12" tire spoons. And use very soapy water to lube the bead before installation.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 05:04:41 PM »
seems pretty tricky-how much should I expect to pay for the whole job-start to finish? And where can I get this done-at any auto body shop--or does it have to be a kymco shop?

thanks

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 05:31:31 PM »
seems pretty tricky-how much should I expect to pay for the whole job-start to finish? And where can I get this done-at any auto body shop--or does it have to be a kymco shop?

thanks

It is quite the chore if its your first time. I would take it to someone who knows scooters, it's a different job than motorcycle or car tires. Rates vary but we charge .5hr for rear tire change which comes out to about $38. That includes mount and balance. I've seen car shops do such a poor job working on scooters, not that they are bad mechanics but they just don't know scooters. I can bang out rear tires in less than half an hour if I haul ass, but your first time doing it at home without a lift it'll be a 6 pack kinda job haha. Also on your next tire, run slightly higher than spec psi and you'll get more than 7500 out of the next tire. I run 35/30 psi, but that's with 12" wheels.
2002 Kymco B&W 300; MRP 78MM "300CC", Naraku cam, Yoshimura rS3 exhaust, 17g Sliders, Yellow torque spring drilled airbox, stock carb #115 main #40 pj.

2001 "Yamaha" Zuma AKA MBK Booster; MHR OverRange, Dellorto 19mm BHBG, Polini "big" intake, RS-3 Rear shock, Stock cylinder.

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 06:51:55 PM »
OK I found a few shops in the area -here are the quotes from 2:

---- Imagine Motorcycles <service@imaginemotorcycle.com> wrote:
> I have two options for you
> the best: Avon viper strike  front $89.24 rear $125.94

> better:    Shinko SR567/8    front $69.99   rear $109.00

these are just the tire prices.labor for  front will be $30 rear will be $35 including install and balance.

SpeedCity Cycles

I don't have any tires that size in stock, we can order them and have them in just a few days, I found a set of METZELER FEELFREE scooter tires that will work great,

The front would be $99.99 + Tax

The rear would be $109.99 + Tax

and $29.99 + Tax/Fees for install.

Which of these-if any -are reasonable deals?  i could also order the tires in myself if anyone has any ideas about that?

Thanks

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 06:59:21 PM »
Get your tire(s) here...   http://www.bikebandit.com/

Avon/Pirelli/Michelin/Dunlop, all good. The site has real user reviews.

Also go to...  http://www.kymcopartsmonster.com/  and get a new exhaust gasket. The pipe has to come off to replace the tire, and a new gasket is a must have.
Tire balancing is also a Must have. If the shop can not balance your tire/wheel, then get Ride on...  http://www.amazon.com/Ride-On-Tire-Balancer-Sealant-41208/dp/B0016680T0

Your bike will thank you.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 07:13:36 PM »
Thanks-there are a lot of tires on there! Could you recomend one for the people gti300?

I ride in Orlando, Florida on relatively newly paved roadways and  the occasional expressway.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 07:14:18 PM »
Those prices are average. I wouldn't get viper strike unless it never rains where you live, very sketch tires in the wet (zombie will disagree). The METZELER are expensive but VERY high quality tires rain or shine. Michelins are always a good choice, city grips are available in your size. The dealer price will ALWAYS be more for tires than online, our dealer cost from western powersports is often the same as online prices, so unless you really like your dealer and want to support them buy online and have the shop install them. $65 is a great deal for both installed but double check they'll do it if you bring your own rubber.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 07:15:37 PM »
I fly out of Orlando tomorrow! Haha viper strike in Florida works. They are really sticky and almost a semi sick, but don't last very long.

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 07:31:14 PM »
I want something that is going to last with good handling--dont want to feel that slip ever again-dont mind spending a few $$ more. So I guess the Metzers are the recommended buy huh?

zevsdad

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2014, 07:34:06 PM »
one more question--the rear tire seems to be WAy more worn out the the front--is it alright to just replace the rear?

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2014, 07:34:38 PM »
I want something that is going to last with good handling--dont want to feel that slip ever again-dont mind spending a few $$ more. So I guess the Metzers are the recommended buy huh?
Metzer or Michelin, but the Michelin is my brand loyal choice that's never let me down.

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2014, 07:37:55 PM »
one more question--the rear tire seems to be WAy more worn out the the front--is it alright to just replace the rear?

It is ok, i always make a habit of matching tires, i.e. no mix n match. But nothing bad will come from just doing the rear. Eventually you can match them when the front wears out. The rear will last about half the distance as the front seeing that it takes most of the weight.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2014, 07:41:29 PM »
Yes you can just replace the rear. In fact it is so much easier to replace the front, that you just may want to attempt that yourself (when the time comes).

B&L... Contact me Via Email when you get down here. It's in my profile (no phone/life style choice)
I'll hook you up at...   http://www.pocketspoolandpub.com/  (my buddies joint)
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

BettinANDlosing

• Carter Merz
    • View Profile
    • Columbia Scooters
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2014, 07:47:52 PM »
Me and my girlfriend ended up staying in Lakeland with her parents, headed back west tomorrow.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()