Author Topic: Making a case for scooters.  (Read 1513 times)

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
Re: Making a case for scooters.
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 01:05:30 AM »
Hmm looked around again, cuz that would rule out a couple different older bikes.

I ran into that in a discussion a while back & had a link when exploring the CTX, & was curious why it was called a motorcycle, vs.  a scooter.
Per wikipedia The United States Department of Transportation defines a scooter as a motorcycle that has a platform for the operator's feet or has integrated footrests, and has a step-through architecture.[2]

So you'd still qualify.  I suspect the definition probably changes a bit at some point, & are somewhat moot after the bike is imported since most states define any bike that can get out of it's own way as a motorcycle from what I can see.

So I guess my Helix is not a scooter. (It is kind of an odd bird)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:10:17 AM by Tromper »
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2017, 08:06:29 PM »
Tongue in cheek definition, for entertainment purposes only. ---If on a two lane highway there are frustrated drivers behind it itching to pass and giving obscene hand signals as they pass, it's a scooter. IF it's riding behind the cars waiting to pass them, its a motorcycle. lol.
2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 12:44:39 AM »
Tongue in cheek definition, for entertainment purposes only. ---If on a two lane highway there are frustrated drivers behind it itching to pass and giving obscene hand signals as they pass, it's a scooter. IF it's riding behind the cars waiting to pass them, its a motorcycle. lol.
Forbes,
We had a member that used to boast here about giving obscene hand signals to drivers when beating them off of the line at an intersection. His girlfriend, on the back used to join in....laughing, both of them.

Yes, he received some flak here for so poorly representing scooter riders.

Your comment about slow scoots out on the roads - made me think of an older couple over on the SYM forum who had put over 60,000 miles on a matched pair of red SYM big wheelers (125's if I recall correctly) he said they just wave the cars past as they explore miles of country lanes, and never had much of a problem. They take great photos of those red scoots parked in scenic spots. It was easy for me to envy them.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ole two wheels

• ole two wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 04:35:14 AM »
Step thru vs leg over pretty well explains the difference.
Mac 

2012 Kymco DT300
1996 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

MJR

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2017, 05:17:20 AM »
I suppose the term maxi-scooter takes care of the larger scooters but to me a scooter to be called a scooter then it must have a CVT .

Dang Paul, don't tell the vintage crowd that... :-X

Ah yes, you are right as I did not think of the vintage scooters.  I was thinking modern scooters.  :-[

I had considered a "shifty" when I bought the Like but my left wrist sometimes gets cranky and the clutch and shift thing would have been a pain. I almost got a Vespa 200E in the 1980s but bought a Suzuki TS 125 enduro instead from a co worker who figured out too late that two wheel commuting was not for him.

Saw a few of those today at the Swerve & Curve event.

'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()