Author Topic: Performance coil  (Read 5589 times)

Shaka

• View Profile
Re: Performance coil
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 03:07:49 AM »
Something really doesn't right!  I would think you should be getting better that 40mph!  Also, the air mix screw should not be adjusted all the way in!  You would typically be very lean!  I know any carb I have every adjusted, the motor wouldn't even run like that!  I have heard that further in than 3/4 than out and you run the risk of engine damage.  I would do some plug chops!  I suspect something with the carb is the culprit.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 04:59:21 AM »
I was just posting for wordslinger on the same subject. If you replace the clutch pad springs w/ a stiffer set , it will allow the engine to turn higher into the "power band, and give you a better take off. I believe the post is under "white spring" from franx93. As far as the carb goes; There are 2 types of systems.. The MOST common is a fuel adjustment. This will have an adjustment screw that is tapered from threads to end. The idea is you are adjusting the amount of fuel being drawn from the float bowl w/ the air being constant. If this is the type you have the Idle jet is too big. The second is an air adjusted system. The needle will have a long shaft w/ a tiny taper on the tip. approx 1/4". If this is your set up, the idle jet is too small. Compensating w/ the screw is NOT a good idea because of the de-accel. factor. When you close the throttle the engine is still turning high rpm;s. You need the proper balance of fuel/air to keep the piston cool. An "open" exhaust will cause this. Rather than buying boxes full of jets, I use pin drills, or welding tourch tip cleaners to open mine. Find the one that fits, an go to the next step up.
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 01:27:31 PM »
I would call that a "balance check" on a multi cyl. engine. When I tried it on my scoot it just died, and I saw little birdies flying all around it...

lmfao...ur crazy...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

flextrainer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 11:58:15 PM »
Thanks guys very useful info. Do you happen to have some pics. of the screws you are talking about zombie? I think it is a fuel adjustment, but am not sure. The carb is brand new, but I think you are probably right about the main jet possibly being too big. The pilot jet is a 30. I had a 35, but it got lost and the only other one I have is a 38 which I'm sure is too big. I only went from an 84 to an 86 main, but it wanted to be set all the way in from the factory. I too have never had one like this and tried to just set it at 1-3/4 turns out of fear, but it runs like crap and dies when I stop adjusted anywhere but all the way in or 1/2 turn at the most, which puzzles me.

zombie

• You never know do ya!
  • Close enough to get the idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 01:04:09 AM »
Here is a link that will get to the Basic workings. This is for a Delorto, but the principals carry across the board. You will see the different styles to determine which type you have, and w/ that info deceide which way to go w/ your jet. I am running an air adjust system that also requires me to turn my metering screw about 3/4 out. I am running the jet rich on purpose to keep the piston cool on de-accell. I have to feather the throttle to avoid fouling, but I get a pretty good brake out of the engine. Hope the link helps take the mystery out of the carb.       http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/dellorto_guide/dellorto.html
"They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken."   Bobby Sands...

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()